Home Improvement

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i needed a blade w/ mounting holes like this
0ec435af61019a84c5b8bc74abcd922e.png

but amazon didn't have the blade length i wanted as a purr gator mulch blade, so i had to get this
fc96908a21e493c921bfa5e6e20beedd.png

and drill the two holes.

What size blade?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What size blade?
21 for some reason only 22 were available, and i wanted the extreme gator mulch, my local menards had one, but the angle of the gator blades looked tame compared to this one, also this blade is heavy, christ

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My family finally left the house for more than an hour for the first time since I last sprayed so I got to use the rest of my spray foam this afternoon. Have I mentioned how fun this stuff is to use?

9BE177E4-60F2-4B47-9C8A-127514A3B70E.jpeg
DA2B11FD-3EDE-4665-A5B4-FC2A27B25D0B.jpeg

I’ll have to calculate out my actual yield, but I’m very confident one more 610 pack (I got the 210) will do the rest of my crawl space. If I was more consistent with depth and application a single 610 probably would’ve done all the walls and rim joists at 1” thick.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I always thought that stuff was supposed to expand and fill the cavities in the studs, am I wrong? If I saw this I would have thought that the person who did it was skimping on the insulation. I could be totally wrong. Educate me, FoH!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I always thought that stuff was supposed to expand and fill the cavities in the studs, am I wrong? If I saw this I would have thought that the person who did it was skimping on the insulation. I could be totally wrong. Educate me, FoH!
You’re thinking of open cell foam. Big no no for using below grade. It’s almost but not quite the difference between rigid foam board and a kitchen sponge.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You’re thinking of open cell foam. Big no no for using below grade. It’s almost but not quite the difference between rigid foam board and a kitchen sponge.

Ah, yes! Now you say that, I am remembering this. Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm sure it's been discussed in this post before, but what can I expect as a cost for shingle replacement? About 1000sqft of roof, two story. My home is about 14 going on 15 years old, so wanted to start planning for its EOL on the 20 year shingles it was built with. Especially the two houses next to me have both had their roofs replaced in the last month -- the second one starting today. Working from home with the *thump thump thump* of a nail gun all morning has been lovely.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
$300-$400 per square (100 sq ft) for easy street shingles removed and installed. Dimensional and 3 tab usually close enough to always use dimensional. Steepness and access a pretty big factor.

Evaluate your vent ridge/attic ventilation situation.

Get lots of quotes, some companies just do insurance jobs and they're usually high. Also, insurance companies love to buy new roofs so if you've had a storm in the last 5 years you may get it covered.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm sure it's been discussed in this post before, but what can I expect as a cost for shingle replacement? About 1000sqft of roof, two story. My home is about 14 going on 15 years old, so wanted to start planning for its EOL on the 20 year shingles it was built with. Especially the two houses next to me have both had their roofs replaced in the last month -- the second one starting today. Working from home with the *thump thump thump* of a nail gun all morning has been lovely.
house across from me got sold, i talked to the new neighbors, they got a new roof paid by the previous owners, roof was only 7 years old. (and looked fine just looking at it from the st)

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

People and new roofs... you need a new roof where there is damage or a problem... degradation is usually not an issue.

Check your local roof regulations of layers - see about installing a metal roof yourself over your current one...although 2 story may be a challenge. This is especially good if you have no current issues with your roof now - so it would be just another layer under the metal roof.

There is metal roofing that looks like Spanish tile, that is what I want to go for when its time for me.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Metal roof is against my HOA rules, as it has to be shingle, limited to standard shingle colors (greys, black, whites, blues, reds), and standard shingle size (no large shingles). I can't do stucco, or solar panels, or any custom shit.

There have been a couple pieces fall off recently. They do degrade, especially in the Texas sun. Once replaced, all new shingles these days are rated for 30 years. I'm waiting for 20 years cuz the manufacturer base are 15 year shingles, but I know they'll last longer than that.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
see about installing a metal roof yourself over your current one

Wait, metal over shingles or do you mean strip the shingles and then place the metal?

My parents have a metal roof up in Montana for their home and that sucker has been chugging along amazingly well! Usually they have a couple feet of snow on their roof during winter too.

Metal roof is against my HOA rules

Man that blows, why would someone be against a product that most contractors LOVE the heck out of? I mean I could understand if they were like, "No use of old newspaper as roofing material!" but metal lasts so long, endures through hail amazingly well and generally lasts way longer than shingles.

EDIT:

Could always do:

Oxford Metal Shingle - CLASSIC® Metal Roofing Systems

Classic Metal Roofing Visualizer

and feign ignorance LOL...

Siliconemelons

you can shingle over shingles - most codes only allow 2 layers - some allow 3. It's an option if your roof is "fine" just nearing age- so you have just that much more wear surface.

Metal roofs usually use screws - that usually results in higher str and adhering to the wood.

My house roof is actually planks 1x6 or 2x6... whatever - not plywood so that's a nifty think about my roof.

The metal roofing system I was looking at that is in the Spanish tile style can be mounted direct or you can air gap it by putting 1x2 ferring strips that you mount the roof to.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wait, metal over shingles or do you mean strip the shingles and then place the metal?

My parents have a metal roof up in Montana for their home and that sucker has been chugging along amazingly well! Usually they have a couple feet of snow on their roof during winter too.

Man that blows, why would someone be against a product that most contractors LOVE the heck out of? I mean I could understand if they were like, "No use of old newspaper as roofing material!" but metal lasts so long, endures through hail amazingly well and generally lasts way longer than shingles.

EDIT:

Could always do:

Oxford Metal Shingle - CLASSIC® Metal Roofing Systems

Classic Metal Roofing Visualizer

and feign ignorance LOL...
his HOA sounds like it's govern by a bunch of feng shui prima donas

so far i feel lucky? HOA hasn't given me a peep, but i also keep up w/ my neighbors, i've heard others the next street over (mine is a cul de sac) have gotten warnings cuz their lawn looks diseased. (i think it's spreading)

• 1Like

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Metal roof is against my HOA rules, as it has to be shingle, limited to standard shingle colors (greys, black, whites, blues, reds), and standard shingle size (no large shingles). I can't do stucco, or solar panels, or any custom shit.

There have been a couple pieces fall off recently. They do degrade, especially in the Texas sun. Once replaced, all new shingles these days are rated for 30 years. I'm waiting for 20 years cuz the manufacturer base are 15 year shingles, but I know they'll last longer than that.

Depending on your state, HOAs cannot restrict solar panels. Check the local laws if you're thinking about doing it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's the basic guideline for maintaining an asphalt driveway? Ive owned my first for about five years and cracks are starting to show.

Seal it? How often?

Let it go to shit and it "becomes" gravel? I know this is a bit stupid, I just have no use for asphalt. And I really want to avoid paying the repaving costs on something I don't get any functionality out of.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

7e9dc01bbecf327ba106dcc3f02d0c6b.png

About twenty four states, including Texas, have solar access laws that limit HOAs from banning solar panels. These laws override the HOA contract that restricts you from going solar. There are two types of solar access rights that protect a homeowner’s right to install solar: solar access laws and solar easements. They both protect your right to harness energy from the sun but address different concerns.

Solar Access Laws

These are state-level laws that prohibit or limit restrictions on solar installation. In Texas, an HOA cannot legally prohibit a homeowner from installing solar on their property. While these laws protect a homeowner from being denied their right to install solar, HOAs still have the ability to place restrictions on where and how it is installed.

Texas Property Code 202.010 states that HOAs are not allowed to include or enforce provisions within their regulations, covenants, or by-laws that prohibit or restrict homeowners from installing a solar energy device. While this protects a homeowner’s right to go solar, there are still several caveats that allow HOAs to regulate the installation of solar panels in certain situations. The law also stipulates that the HOA may designate where the panels should be located on the roof. A way around that is for the homeowner to show that the designation hinders the performance of the solar panels.

Under a new law that went into effect on September 1, 2015, residential developments with more than fifty homes are prohibited from banning or restricting homeowners from installing solar panels. This means that residents of continuously growing subdivisions no longer have to wait for the developer to finish construction before installing solar.
HOAs and Solar Panel Installations
PROPERTY CODE CHAPTER 202. CONSTRUCTION AND ENFORCEMENT OF RESTRICTIVE COVENANTS

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
While these laws protect a homeowner from being denied their right to install solar, HOAs still have the ability to place restrictions on where and how it is installed.

Aka I can't install it on my roof, and I can't have any structure in my back yard visible from the front of the house (over the fence line).