Home Improvement

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
if it was in the 80's it should be fine...and is it popcorn or stipple? my house was done in stipple - the house next to me was popcorn, late 70s - stipple is essentially a plaster type stuff that is then textured to be little tiny stalagmites that at first glace look like popcorn - yet are not squishy little balls of foam stuff, like popcorn.

Basically it looks like white paint with crap stuck in it peeling away from drywall ceiling.

I didn't get on a ladder and start fucking with it because I don't own the property yet and because I'd rather someone that's paid to fuck with it fucks with it first.

do it!
iZa2LDW.jpg

Should I get the facemask funnel attachment?

Non-naked POSSIBLY NSFW

new-arrival-latex-funnel-hood-fetish-mask.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just had my first experience with sewage back-flow Friday night.

I was just getting ready to enjoy my weekend, when I received a panicked call from a tenant. She said she had flushed the downstairs toilet and the water would not stop running. I asked if she had turn off the water valve at the toilet and she said it was stuck. I told her to turn off the water main in the in utility room.

When I got over, there was an inch of water in the bathroom and it had pretty much soak the two adjacent carpeted rooms. I immediately went to work on the toilet with the plunger and after 30 minutes or so, realized it was just churning shit up from further down the pipe. Nothing was coming loose. Also noticed that the basement shower drain was starting to puke out some shit colored water and what looked like toilet paper remnants.

I called the Roto Rooter 24 hour hotline and they had someone that could be there in 20 minutes. So I told them to send the guy out. I went out into the backyard and uncovered the sewer clean-out. He sent his super-snaker machine down into the main line and after about 10 minutes he cleared the line, bring back up a tangled mess of roots and tampons. It was a nightmare.

Spent the next few hours drying the place out and vacuuming up as much water out of the carpet as possible. Pretty awful experience all in all.

• 2WTF
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just had my first experience with sewage back-flow Friday night.

I was just getting ready to enjoy my weekend, when I received a panicked call from a tenant. She said she had flushed the downstairs toilet and the water would not stop running. I asked if she had turn off the water valve at the toilet and she said it was stuck. I told her to turn off the water main in the in utility room.

When I got over, there was an inch of water in the bathroom and it had pretty much soak the two adjacent carpeted rooms. I immediately went to work on the toilet with the plunger and after 30 minutes or so, realized it was just churning shit up from further down the pipe. Nothing was coming loose. Also noticed that the basement shower drain was starting to puke out some shit colored water and what looked like toilet paper remnants.

I called the Roto Rooter 24 hour hotline and they had someone that could be there in 20 minutes. So I told them to send the guy out. I went out into the backyard and uncovered the sewer clean-out. He sent his super-snaker machine down into the main line and after about 10 minutes he cleared the line, bring back up a tangled mess of roots and tampons. It was a nightmare.

Spent the next few hours drying the place out and vacuuming up as much water out of the carpet as possible. Pretty awful experience all in all.

Make your tenant pay for that. The box specifically states "do not fucking flush".

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Oh yeah I figured it out immediately. It's called being a woman. :D

When I was renting in SoCal, I had a toilet issue where the thing wouldn't stop pumping out water. Not wanting a huge ass water bill I went down to turn off the water at the base of the toilet only to have the fucking knob almost literally disintegrate in my hands.

Wasn't aware they made valve handles out of plastic until that day, cheap ass owner.

Not that any of this was the case here, more than likely:

1) Female
B) Didn't know there was a shut-off.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When I was renting in SoCal, I had a toilet issue where the thing wouldn't stop pumping out water. Not wanting a huge ass water bill I went down to turn off the water at the base of the toilet only to have the fucking knob almost literally disintegrate in my hands.

Wasn't aware they made valve handles out of plastic until that day, cheap ass owner.

Not that any of this was the case here, more than likely:

1) Female
B) Didn't know there was a shut-off.
she was probably opening it more, right tight, lefty loosey

also christ, this pex shit is 8bucks
8a0bc08e1bec97ec4748673ab8417fbc.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
P Picasso3 - Since you suggested it, I’ve been looking into closed cell spray foam to air seal and insulate my [tall] crawl space. Looks like Dow sells a DIY kit, and the installation technique looks pretty straightforward. Have you worked with this stuff before?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
P Picasso3 - Since you suggested it, I’ve been looking into closed cell spray foam to air seal and insulate my [tall] crawl space. Looks like Dow sells a DIY kit, and the installation technique looks pretty straightforward. Have you worked with this stuff before?
i got freaked out watching this a while back, looking up foam

from what i remember, if you mix it wrong, you get dead fish smell and the vapors fucks up your head.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
here's a guy doing the crawl space

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm

I haven't personally applied it, i have an architect friend that does and he loves it and has done it on several of his properties (the larger diy kits). He said the tyvek suit is a must have.

Keep in mind when it comes to crawl spaces you can insulate either the walls and have the crawl space conditioned or in the joists and have it unconditioned. I think conditioned crawl is kind of a new thing but I've done one and it worked well (no more frozen pipes in winter), but you open yourself up to stale air and mold if its not done right.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
i got freaked out watching this a while back, looking up foam

from what i remember, if you mix it wrong, you get dead fish smell and the vapors fucks up your head.

Holy shit the floridaman people stayed in the home WHILE they sprayed the foam above them???

Mind you I've never done this shit but I've watched a few dozen videos and nowhere have I seen people spray it on the floor. It's ALWAYS been on the rafters and from what I can gather, you want your home SEALED before you start because undoing what they do is nigh impossible. Its always been in an empty home sprayed by a dude in near hazmat gear. I wouldn't doubt that the foam is also messing with the drywall on the ceiling.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've had the kits from Menards. It's super easy. You'll waste a bit at the beginning, but the mix always comes out right, and you'll get the hang of it in no time. I did some of this in my kitchen, some in the basement. If I ever have any more insulating to do, I'll use this 100% of the time.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I've had the kits from Menards. It's super easy. You'll waste a bit at the beginning, but the mix always comes out right, and you'll get the hang of it in no time. I did some of this in my kitchen, some in the basement. If I ever have any more insulating to do, I'll use this 100% of the time.
I'm looking at getting the Dow Froth-Pak kit, but I'm stuck on figuring out how much I'll need. The box says it covers 210 sq. ft @ 1" depth. The safety documents and retail descriptions say 210 BOARD feet (I would be spraying to 2" depth).

As I understand it, board feet is calculating the volume of material - length x width x depth. My walls are:

6ft x 40 ft = 240 sq ft; 2 in. depth = 40 board feet
4ft x 40 ft = 160 sq ft; 2 in. depth = 27 board feet
6ft x 30 ft = 180 sq ft; 2 in. depth = 30 board feet
6ft x 30 ft = 180 sq ft; 2 in. depth = 30 board feet

Altogether, square feet is 760, but board feet is 127. That's the difference of about $1,000 in product. I guess I could try ordering the 210 and see if it only gets me half of one wall...

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think a board ft (volume unit) is a sq ft one inch thick, 240 sq ft 2 inches thick would be 480 bd ft.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The other thing is take all your measurements to anywhere that sells the kits for this stuff. They'll have everything you need to figure out how much you need.