Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've built a studio in a 3 car garage with interior walls bolted to the cement, full wiring, baffled, ceiling, muding, taping, painting, but I left it flat and didn't bother making the ceiling look perfect. Yeah, I fucking hated every bit of the ceiling work. I wasn't even going to touch the ceiling but both our fathers are telling us to get rid of the popcorn and frankly I hate that shit too.

Maybe I'll just ignore the texturing and git it done? Was hoping there was some kinda spray thing I could rent to knock this shit out quickly and easily.

Don't have the extra money to pay people and I don't want to try to do this with a house full of our shit so it's probably now or never.
when i was looking to retexture some parts of my drywall (some patched parts look uneven), i searched for this
Rust-Oleum RRC-9-2009 Restore Roller Cover, 9-Inch

Its like 3bucks, while all the other texture rollers were 20ish bucks and had less stars, this review sold me, had good tips too
5d6312f54aa5a058b33c94e022e3888c.png

i bought it and it's just sitting in my basement when i wanna feel like it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
This Hybrix fert I applied over my seed is no fucking joke. I seeded the back yard 9 days ago and I’ve got spots that are 4” tall. I’m going out of town for a few days and will need to mow those spots so the grass doesn’t lay over and die before I get back home.

I’m gonna go ahead and spread some seed in the thin spots and weasel it into the soil since we’re supposed to get a couple inches of rain later this week. 10 days is on the low end of adding more seed, but I’m four weeks out from the first frost of the season.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well fuck, report came back positive. Now I really don't know what to do. Leaving it kind of sucks, any time someone bangs the ceiling or install my projector I'm releasing asbestos into the air? Crap

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Look up new rules on asbestos. Floor tiles, for example, no longer require any special remediation to be removed. It's all about the size of the particulate, perhaps popcorn ceilings fall in to the same category. A simple mask, and a weekend of work should probably take care of it.

• 1Solidarity

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Look up new rules on asbestos. Floor tiles, for example, no longer require any special remediation to be removed. It's all about the size of the particulate, perhaps popcorn ceilings fall in to the same category. A simple mask, and a weekend of work should probably take care of it.
You can legally remove it yourself however popcorn ceilings turn into a fine dust when you remove it, doesn't seem very safe to me. Have a guy giving me an estimate tomorrow but at this point we might just leave it for now.

They use a hepa air scrubber to remove the fibers from the air. Been reading more about it, seems like this type of Asbestos is considered less dangerous than others because the fibers are longer. You can rent an air scrubber for $150 a day from home depot. Of course you also have to cover the entire area you're working on with plastic (floors/walls) and then dispose off everything at a special dump for a lot of money.

Fuck, I dunno, I was better off not knowing about it because now I'd have to disclose it upon selling the house.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Okay, if it turns into dust, you're on the right track. I'd get it taken care of, then you don't have to disclose.
:)
Yeah, I wouldn’t think you’d have to disclose if it’s not present?

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I wouldn’t think you’d have to disclose if it’s not present?

it's probably in the asbestos disclosure when you sell/purchase the house

if you willingly check off no known asbestos, you are probably fucked.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
it's probably in the asbestos disclosure when you sell/purchase the house

if you willingly check off no known asbestos, you are probably fucked.
Well if I remove it I can say I don't know like most people with a house this age.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Just going to see what the guy says tomorrow, maybe this project just gets put on hold for now.

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It opens you up to future lawsuits. And lawsuits in regards to housing are a huge pain in the ass. They could end up trapping you with some kind of intent to harm bullshit and sue you for the value of the home they purchased from you, plus mental "damages". It's really not worth fucking around with it. Lawsuits suck. Just admit that there is asbestos on the owner disclosure statement. As long as you don't lie, there's no big deal. Plus, asbestos exists in almost everything in an older home. And when they eventually do inspection, it'll likely come out fine. If future buyers still have a problem, then negotiate around it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Okay, if it turns into dust, you're on the right track. I'd get it taken care of, then you don't have to disclose.
:)
That's false. You would disclose that it WAS there, but you had it taken care of. You pretty much need to disclose everything you're aware of.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So the floor, rented a shitty sander from Home depot, not really getting the scratches out very well and I have an area that's stained a little dark I've been trying chemicals on to lighten. Was planning on just doing 2 coats of water based poly but now am starting to think maybe I should stain the floor to hide the darker area.

Thoughts? I really don't want to cut the wood out and replace it, I've done that before, shit is difficult and hard to make look right with old wood.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Threw some mushroom compost on mine and made the whole neighborhood smell like shit, curious how long it'll last.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It just. Doesn’t. End.

On Monday I threw down seed in the bare spots in my lawn and weaseled them in. It was supposed to rain about a half inch today and another inch tomorrow. Now they’re calling for over 5” tomorrow which likely means my seed is gonna float up and wash down hill.

Siiiiiiggggghhhhhh.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It just. Doesn’t. End.

On Monday I threw down seed in the bare spots in my lawn and weaseled them in. It was supposed to rain about a half inch today and another inch tomorrow. Now they’re calling for over 5” tomorrow which likely means my seed is gonna float up and wash down hill.

Siiiiiiggggghhhhhh.
lulz same thing happened to me this weekend, raining for 5 days straight

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So the floor, rented a shitty sander from Home depot, not really getting the scratches out very well and I have an area that's stained a little dark I've been trying chemicals on to lighten. Was planning on just doing 2 coats of water based poly but now am starting to think maybe I should stain the floor to hide the darker area.

Thoughts? I really don't want to cut the wood out and replace it, I've done that before, shit is difficult and hard to make look right with old wood.
pics?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’m out of town now but I took this the other day right after I seeded again. I mowed earlier than I’d like (you can see the tire tracks in the bottom right) but it was trending to be over 6” before I’d be back to mow it. If fescue gets so tall that it falls over it’s pretty much a death sentence so I opted to risk hurting it mowing too early than risk it growing too tall while I’m out of town.

2D6294A8-7D5A-45C6-BF53-16ED819A1A80.jpeg

Edit: Also, I was weaseling in a bare spot in the back yard and hit something solid just below the soil. It was a freaking circle paver. Mystery solved on why nothing grew here:

7CC6DB80-0E4B-4125-B90E-B054B85C1AF6.jpeg

• 1Like