Home Improvement

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Try banging the whole ceiling with a large hammer. Get the plaster busted up into bits, and then pulling the chicken wire should do the trick.
I actually started already. The chicken wire is only around the perimeter of the room. It goes about an inch down into the wall:-( here is where I'm at so far.

C2325DD4-EA82-46C0-B92F-3D4DA8D93DC0-30173-0000192F99D9A3B7.jpg

FA576C5D-2733-456D-AF9D-D047399723CB-30173-0000192F7F671B46.jpg

34CF1EBD-3FA0-4D11-8752-7109B7BA6FAE-30173-0000192F92082162.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's what i'm thinking. Just cut around the top of the wall. Probably easiest route. The plan is to build out off the wall anyway so It doesn't matter how much I cut out.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'd like to meet the people who did that to your basement, and slap them. hard. often.

You could probably cut through it all with an angle grinder with the right blade. Likely wouldn't take much time, either.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd like to meet the people who did that to your basement, and slap them. hard. often.

You could probably cut through it all with an angle grinder with the right blade. Likely wouldn't take much time, either.
hah they are dead and gone probably.. That's just how these build these house in the 50's. In my area anyway.. All the bathrooms were pink and gray.. lol wish I still had those pics.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Tuck/bend that crap back behind the walls and drywall over it. I'm all about half-assing home projects and covering shit up to avoid more work than necessary
smile.png

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Get a 2x2 or some reasonable solid piece of wood that's a couple feet long, tack the chicken wire along the length of the 2x2. Then pry or pull from the wood. Should spread the force along the wire and prevent it from breaking up... could also be not so easy to pull it all down... seems like it could be worth a shot.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
not a bad idea.. I'll give that a shot. I think I have a staple gun laying around too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Can I ask a retarded question?

The toilet in our apartment is always running. I can get it to stop by jiggling the handle, and upon inspection I can see why it does it. I'm about to get extremely technical here as I am an engineer so bear with me.

The chain thingy is slightly too long, causing it sometimes to get stuck underneath the rubber doo-hicky that plugs the water from going down into the poop hole. This rubber doo-hicky is made of the most flimsy garbage ass material I ever done seen. So my question is, can I go to the store and buy a new "thing" "assembly" "whatever" and just put it in the toilet like nobody's business? Do I need to know the exact model?

Not contacting the landlord's because they literally suck dick for money and pleasure.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Common problem. While they're not 100% standardized, there's a good chance you can just pick up a new generic chain and stopper set at Home Depot and replace them. Your best bet would be to turn the water supply off to the toilet tank, remove them, and bring them with you to the store so they can give you something that matches.

Alternatively, you could adjust the chain so it won't get caught under the stopper. The chain should be just a wee bit loose when the handle isn't pressed. Just play with it and flush it a few times to see what works best.

I replaced all the internals of the toilets in my condo because they were shit, and I continually had the same problem as well as a couple others.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll try that, the handle has a shitload (no pun) of play in it so sometimes the rubber stopper gets stuck at weird angles not related to the chain being under it.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My penis shrivels a bit reading this thread. I have a lot of work to do in my new home, and no clue how to do just about all of it.

BBQ at my place, all the food and beer you can scarf down! Oh, and um, bring your tools...

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My penis shrivels a bit reading this thread. I have a lot of work to do in my new home, and no clue how to do just about all of it.

BBQ at my place, all the food and beer you can scarf down! Oh, and um, bring your tools...
There are a ton of resources online, and books you can grab at your preference of book seller. Youtube's a pretty good place to get tutorials as well. Just start small, and build up your skills/comfort. Pretty sure I saw somewhere that Lowe's/Home Depot might even do classes.

If you have a friend/relative who has some experience and is willing to help you out getting your feet wet at least, you might as well ask.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>

Scotch and I'll be there. Single Malt please.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
There are a ton of resources online, and books you can grab at your preference of book seller. Youtube's a pretty good place to get tutorials as well. Just start small, and build up your skills/comfort. Pretty sure I saw somewhere that Lowe's/Home Depot might even do classes.

If you have a friend/relative who has some experience and is willing to help you out getting your feet wet at least, you might as well ask.
The big thing is getting started. Most of home repair is no where near as difficult as those without experience. Start small, do a lot of reading, and jump in. Start small, and ToeMissle's comment is probably the best thing possible - figure out which of your friends is somewhat handy, and get them to give you a hand with the first project. It'll give you a bit of extra confidence, and you'll find you're more capable than you thought.

Good luck.
(I like my burgers cooked medium rare.)

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Anyone have a recommendation for a brand/model for a compound miter saw? About to start doing crown molding and I want to buy and not rent.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Anyone have a recommendation for a brand/model for a compound miter saw? About to start doing crown molding and I want to buy and not rent.
I HIGHLY recommend going with Craftsman. And, if you can swing it, get the 12" blade, rather than the standard 10". Don't get the lowest end of Craftsman, but the one step up from that is really great. I prefer the precision of Craftsman over that of any other compound miter saw I've ever used.

This is a dream saw, but, then again,this one is a huge "bang for the buck."

Hope that's helpful.