Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Baseboard cap

I've got a 4" notched baseboard with this on it as cap. Obviously this isn't looking too good and i'm wondering if i can just find this cap somewhere or what a man does in this situation.

I've never seen two piece notched baseboard before. I may take the decent ones off and strip them but i don't want to get totally fucked if one piece breaks and i can't replace it.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I'd like to have the grass in my yard completely replaced with new sod, but I'm too lazy to do it myself. It's got too many bare spots and weeds. May hire a dirty DREAMER to do it for me.

OneofOne

Project for the evening - replace the flushing assembly inside one of the toilets . Easy peasy! Take it apart, clean everything while I'm at it, put it back together, turn water back on and... water is leaking out of the gasket between the base and the tank (and yes, it's a new gasket). Fail! Will redo this all in the morning, I'm hungry.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My penis shrivels a bit reading this thread. I have a lot of work to do in my new home, and no clue how to do just about all of it.

BBQ at my place, all the food and beer you can scarf down! Oh, and um, bring your tools...
I'm in the same boat. I know jack and shit about anything related to home projects. I'll build you a computer in an hour, but ask me to install a ceiling fan and I'll want to shoot myself in the face. Everything I try to do around the house ends up taking 4x longer than I had planned and usually ends in buckets of sweat(often blood also) and endless cursing.

Just to give an example of how things usually go down in our house. Last weekend was warm here, so me and the wife got out in the front yard to rake up our gumballs(sweet gum tree...scourge of the earth), get the yard raked up and into yard waste bags in about an hour. Go inside and close the garage door, and as I'm walking away into the house I hear this HORRIBLE crunching and grinding noise. Apparently the wife put her rake too close to the garage door and it fell over and the rake handle was in the garage door tracks, and the garage door got totally stuck and fucked up about halfway down.

So now the garage door will only close about half way, I start trying to adjust it with the little screwholes you can turn to adjust how far up or down it goes, and in the middle of turning one of them the screw thingamajigger actually falls off inside of the garage door opener casing. So I end up having to completely disassemble the garage door casing to get to the inside...blahblahblahblah

Ends up taking like 3 hours to fix the goddamn garage door.

tl;dr a 1-hour yard project ends up being a 4-hour home repair and wasting my entire afternoon.

goddamn houses

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm in the same boat. I know jack and shit about anything related to home projects. I'll build you a computer in an hour, but ask me to install a ceiling fan and I'll want to shoot myself in the face. Everything I try to do around the house ends up taking 4x longer than I had planned and usually ends in buckets of sweat(often blood also) and endless cursing.

Just to give an example of how things usually go down in our house. Last weekend was warm here, so me and the wife got out in the front yard to rake up our gumballs(sweet gum tree...scourge of the earth), get the yard raked up and into yard waste bags in about an hour. Go inside and close the garage door, and as I'm walking away into the house I hear this HORRIBLE crunching and grinding noise. Apparently the wife put her rake too close to the garage door and it fell over and the rake handle was in the garage door tracks, and the garage door got totally stuck and fucked up about halfway down.

So now the garage door will only close about half way, I start trying to adjust it with the little screwholes you can turn to adjust how far up or down it goes, and in the middle of turning one of them the screw thingamajigger actually falls off inside of the garage door opener casing. So I end up having to completely disassemble the garage door casing to get to the inside...blahblahblahblah

Ends up taking like 3 hours to fix the goddamn garage door.

tl;dr a 1-hour yard project ends up being a 4-hour home repair and wasting my entire afternoon.

goddamn houses
Heh. You speak the truth. One time, and I'm not kidding, I started a project intending only to replace a toilet. About a half hour job. Turned out that the flange was cracked, and I had plans to redo the bathroom in a couple years anyway. I ended up gutting the bathroom and moving all the plumbing and electrical. Half hour job turned into a two week job.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Baseboard cap

I've got a 4" notched baseboard with this on it as cap. Obviously this isn't looking too good and i'm wondering if i can just find this cap somewhere or what a man does in this situation.

I've never seen two piece notched baseboard before. I may take the decent ones off and strip them but i don't want to get totally fucked if one piece breaks and i can't replace it.
How much of this shit do you have? Is it a large room, smaller room? Because if that was me I would replace all that shit with some modern base board trim and call it a day. I cannot think that an average room would take more than $100-150 to replace the moldings in, especially if its going to be painted. If stained, then add a $100 more.

If you do want to replace it, you will pay an arm and a leg, but its possible. they do have places that can take your trim profile and make the tools to do so and its expensive.

Further looking at the profile it looks like you can just make the shit if you have a table saw or rent one. It might not be exact thicknesses, or profile but you can match it closely so no one will notice if you replace it all. See below...

rrr_img_11841.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the only reason I could see going through all that trouble to match up existing base molding or any trim is if you wanted to keep the historical theme of it or match all the other rooms, basically a restoration. But fuck all that.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I HIGHLY recommend going with Craftsman. And, if you can swing it, get the 12" blade, rather than the standard 10". Don't get the lowest end of Craftsman, but the one step up from that is really great. I prefer the precision of Craftsman over that of any other compound miter saw I've ever used.

This is a dream saw, but, then again,this one is a huge "bang for the buck."

Hope that's helpful.
I just bought the 12" miter saw linked above (the "dream" one). Somehow Sears sold it to me for $250. I haven't used it yet though. Maybe next weekend.

Picasso3

I'm redoing my fireplace by tiling the concrete hearth and building out to get wires in and new drywall due to some water damage and shit along the top.

Anyway i wanted to put a 50 or 55" tv on the face where the 2x4s are and would like to have a mount so i could turn that corner and see it from the kitchen table (poker). The entire face is about 50" wide and i can put wood in there anywhere i need to to make the mount work but i'm having a hard time finding something like that that'd work with a 50"+ tv.

I dont want to put it on the other face due to it being more awkward from where it will primarily be and when you enter the house you'll be seeing the side (hanger, cords etc)

Regarding the baseboard i'm pretty sure you guys have released me from my siren spell. I'm definitely going to replace it in my entire living/diving room that way i can undo the damn trim entirely around the old (different dimensions) baseboard vents as well. Around this fireplace i'm going to hope i can tile well enough to not need anything......................................

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Can you mount a tv naked to the wall above a fireplace? Or do you need to do something special to the wall to protect it from the heat?

Picasso3

I'm not too concerned because I never use the fireplace but I will look into it. I may put in gas logs in the future.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A friend of mine had his mounted above the fireplace and he said it wasn't a problem. A cursory internet search indicates that the main issues you will face are heat, which may be mitigated by a mantle, and installation issues. If you damage the flue during installation you will be in a world of shit. The studs above fireplaces often do not follow standard spacing so that may be an issue.

I would take heat measurements of the wall first just to be sure.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'd also suggest looking into some decent wire channels to put in the wall while it's open. Could save a lot of hassle in the future. Also, stick extra HDMI cables back there for future use. You never know when you might want to toss in additional shit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I never understood why people want their TVs way up high like that on top of the fireplace to begin with. When youre sitting in your favorite lounge chair, you dont want to be looking up, but straight ahead so the TV is in line with your eyes.

Picasso3

I anticipate having a tv for hard watching in the basement. It's going over the fireplace in my instance because there's really no where else to put it. It's going to be a huge pain in the ass so I'm not thrilled.

Picasso3

when you're really going to put your time in and do some shit right like watch an entire trilogy or season of buckwild.