Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Clamping fence made for straight cuts, year laser didn't do jack shit, I can see the value passed just 3 shelves for a table saw.
IMG_20181218_135648.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Womp, product seems appealing so hopefully it catches on more. I don't find hardi that bad to work with and it's tried and true.

Agreed about the Hardi but if I can Vapor and water-proof at 3x5 for 25-30 USD I think that is a better result than Hardi+RedGard or whatever combo I would need to be water-proof.

Unfortunately it seems like that isn't an option unless I go with a company I haven't heard of OR Kerdi and Kerdi is basically HardiBacker but without the need of redgard AND vapor proof but at a super-premium and their "tape" for joints is 150 a roll.

I was debating using Dural tiLite:

Dural tiLite 32 in. x 48 in. x 1/2 in. Foam Backer Board (Package of 9 - 96 sq. ft.) Underlayment-TILITEBD-3248-125 - The Home Depot

but I can't find ANY tech data on this thing. I looked on their site and everything. it LOOKS...like Wedi which is basically a foam core with a permeable face but solid core.

---

I mean ultimately the deal is money for effect, I want a waterproof / vapor-proof barrier and it seems like at a 25-30 USD price per 3x5 or 32 inch by 5 it's a good deal compared to going Hardi and Sealer BUT if I can't get it...then no use getting butt-mad over it.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I get it but I've also kicked myself because I spent more time researching products than the work took too

Hardi vapor options are cheap, plastic or tar paper. I used tar paper because i used a fiber glass pan and leaking through a tile wall seems hard. Didnt do anything to the seams beyond thinset and tape, but i can understand the want to have a waterproof face. Tenant hasn't complained but then again the house has to collapse before they'll notice anything.

I used a lightweight cement board with foam beads in it one time that was garbage (cracking corners etc) so I'm prob ptsd'd from being adventurous.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a friend with Emmerson thermostats that have a recall issue. They say they cause fires with the constant backlight on. Their recommendation is to bend the pin that connects cable C to the thermostat so that is no longer an option. It doesn't affect the wireless connection or any other function. That seems like bullshit to me, but I don't know enough about thermostats to know for sure.

Anyone have any info on this sort of thing?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a friend with Emmerson thermostats that have a recall issue. They say they cause fires with the constant backlight on. Their recommendation is to bend the pin that connects cable C to the thermostat so that is no longer an option. It doesn't affect the wireless connection or any other function. That seems like bullshit to me, but I don't know enough about thermostats to know for sure.

Anyone have any info on this sort of thing?
White-Rodgers Recalls Emerson Sensi WiFi Smart Thermostats

get free replacement.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i was affected, the recall tells you to bend the pin. My simpleton understanding: The C wire is constant power, but sensi has batteries so it don't need no power.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Free repair or replacement. They tell you to bend the pin. That's it. No offers of free replacements.
lulz
"free repair" is diy pin bend

imo, if you bought from amazon, return it to them, shit, i returned a year old motion sensing light bulb cuz it stopped working.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
lulz
"free repair" is diy pin bend

imo, if you bought from amazon, return it to them, shit, i returned a year old motion sensing light bulb cuz it stopped working.

Yeah, don't have the box, it's been more like 3 years, don't think returning it is an option.

Ah, well, bend the pin it is, I guess. Bastards.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Funny.

The Canadian recall specifically states:

The thermostat can be damaged by household line voltage (120 volts or 240 volts) during service or replacement of a heating or cooling system, posing a fire hazard.

The first thing is that it should never see 120vac or higher. It was meant specifically for 24vac. But they mention 'during service/replacement of a heating/cooling system'.

Since this recall is for a 1st generation unit, it almost sounds like it wasn't originally designed to withstand people shorting them out, but they since rectified that.

I find it funny because lots of things designed around 24vac will absolutely, positively fry if you power it with 120vac.

All that bending the C terminal over should do is force the board to run off the batteries, and in the odd event that someone puts 120vac on RC/RH, there shouldn't be a complete circuit from C to turn the board into a piece of burning plastic. But I dunno, that still seems like an awkward workaround to me.

White-Rodgers recalls First-Generation Emerson branded Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostats - Recalls and safety alerts

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
IMG_20181220_171507.jpg

So that's about all I did was just add the side shelves, both sides, I still have to put back the first aid kit and reorganize. There is just so much more space for shit now. I invited my tall 6'3 neighbor over and he didn't hit nuttin.

it was like 30 bucks for the shelves and brackets, they're drilled into the studs so i know they'll hold, i put 50lbs on each one, no issue.

I still gotta patch up the door, it was a push in, i changed it to a pull out door, i'll get one of those door organizers to hang brooms and shit

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Maruchan? WTF, bro, are you in college? You're supposed to be showing us the proper way to Ramen! :wizardhawk:

I think I see a jar of gravy? Gravy Gravy would be proud

What are the boxes next to the Prego jar with the Moonspeak all over them?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Maruchan? WTF, bro, are you in college? You're supposed to be showing us the proper way to Ramen! :wizardhawk:

I think I see a jar of gravy? Gravy Gravy would be proud

What are the boxes next to the Prego jar with the Moonspeak all over them?
yea i keep Maruchan around to show ppl the differences in ramen, the top box i have the nissan ramen from HK, most of my "asian" stuff is on the left side shelf actually, thats how i was trying to reorg, the green boxes are curry i got while in Japan.

• 2Like
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
yea i keep Maruchan around to show ppl the differences in ramen, the top box i have the nissan ramen from HK, most of my "asian" stuff is on the left side shelf actually, thats how i was trying to reorg, the green boxes are curry i got while in Japan.
A LIKELY STORY

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well look at who has a fire extinguisher.

Faaaaaaancy.
that area i had a hard time contemplating, i wanted to add another shelf there, but it would push the fire extinquisher even further down and not easily be see, thats also where i'll put my first aid kit and medical stuffs.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I missed the discussion on the straight edges. I got a 2 piece set that is 4' each of extruded alumium. You can clamp it down to a sheet of plywood and make a 4' cut or join the 2 together with the piece included to make it 8' plus a little to make an 8' cut with a circular saw. I think I paid $25 for it from Lowes or Home Depot. Worked pretty well for cutting some sheets I didn't want to put on the table saw cabinet.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok, does anyone do this?
Attic Air Sealing Guide - Building America Top Innovation | Department of Energy

at first i'm seeing videos on you about attic sealing, i think it's just bs and just attic guys making commercials, now i see a legit doc from the energy gov ppl...

do i really have to buy like cans of great stuff, argh.

oh, i was thinking about this, cuz when i left for vacation, i went to turn off my main water line in my basement and when i went to reach for it, i was hit by cold ass air. i kinda went to look and where it comes out from the basement, theres no insulation or foam and cold air is just traveling up the wall. came back from vac, threw some insulation in there and sealed it up greatstuff window/door huge crack. then i saw all these attic sealing vids...