Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think you can water proof it fine. The lip that slides up under the tile is kind of foolproof and presumably you'll have shower doors thatll be on the inside of that corner.

From what i recall (well could be wrong) tub/shower pan instructions call for a quarter inch gap between pan and tile. If you start at that with one side and you're off a quarter inch over 6'... well it's easy to get fucked up.

Fill with caulk and not thinset. I don't think you put thinset in corners at all because you need flexibility in the corners. I try to leave a gap and put in caulk even though it looks like a disaster when you're doing it.

I would be pissed off if a pro did it but not a family member, it's a skill issue and obviously not intentional. It's not an eye level area and it doesn't look like you'll have a huge color contrast between tub and tile.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I have a lot more to say about this but I need a little bit bigger picture of this specific area of the tub. Please post another pic of this gap but wider to see how things layout!
But please post a wider angle picture. Maybe we're over reacting.
Is the tub level on all sides? There is really a lot wrong with just that little picture.

Will cover all this in the video.

---

Also, neither thinset or grout is waterproof.

this was discussed with Dad and dismissed by him.

---

This is why tubs can go fuck themselves in general.

Meh I think this tub looks amazing and, if i have to re-do this bathroom it'll stay. It's work but I agree on principal.

---

That's why you spend the money and get one of these one-piece things.

6a6691a6ca5ee0de5e4a0a3bf029c69a.jpg

This is actually what dad suggested on day 1 of the demo (before he arrived to help build)...and...would have been cheaper if I did this from day 1 onward, assuming i have to tear down.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

Here you go, if I didn't answer it. let me know.

One thing I forgot to mention, 1st attempt at Teflon tape resulted in a pretty big leak...switched to thread sealant to "Fix the issue" instead of doing what I told him to do...let me solder it.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Oh man. Reminds me of the tile job my brother did in our bathroom.

Should have asked a pro but we were running out of time and no pros available.

Bathroom will be the first thing we're doing new.

Family will NOT be asked to help this time.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yikes. There is so much wrong with that. I don't think I could live with the plumbing, I'd constantly be worrying it would leak. I surely couldn't get into that shower every day and look at that tile work. And with all those uneven seams I'd worry about water getting behind the tiles every time the shower ran.

Sorry, man. If that were mine, I'd tear it out and start again. Right down to leveling the tub, and redoing the plumbing.

Now, about the plumbing, PEX with crimp on fittings are fine.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
The icing on the cake was that we got a quote on the tile work for 1600 and I told my dad to just leave it so we could bring in a professional.

To say I am irritated would be an understatement.

Plumbing wise, I am always going to worry about the shark bite connections and the threaded connections leaking.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The icing on the cake was that we got a quote on the tile work for 1600 and I told my dad to just leave it so we could bring in a professional.

To say I am irritated would be an understatement.

Plumbing wise, I am always going to worry about the shark bite connections and the threaded connections leaking.
un scientific tests say don't worry

Vinen

God is dead
House Renovation... does it ever stop?

We will be moving back in Mid-May post second set of Demo....
- Kitchen Renovation (Adding proper space for Dining by merging Pantry and Kitchen. Pantry is a separate room right now)
- Dining Room Renovation (Adding Closets, stripping wallpaper and replacing plaster ceiling)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Here you go, if I didn't answer it. let me know.

One thing I forgot to mention, 1st attempt at Teflon tape resulted in a pretty big leak...switched to thread sealant to "Fix the issue" instead of doing what I told him to do...let me solder it.

Shit I think I'd be pretty happy with a free bathroom remodel like that. The only thing that is significant at all is the big gap on the drain side of the tub which is unfortunate but once it's caulked it's not going to be that noticeable. I honestly feel sorry for your Dad after watching that video. It really seems like you're just looking for things to complain about.

Pex is better than copper in every way and anyone that tells you it's not is probably an old fart plumber who is butthurt because people don't have to hire them to waste time and money soldering it together anymore. I have done quite a bit of electrical soldering in my past life as an electrical engineer and just because you can do that does NOT mean that you can sweat pipes. It's a completely different skill. Also pipe thread compound is better than teflon tape and if the threaded connections don't leak now there's no reason to think that they will in the future. I have plenty of 10 year old sharkbite connectors in my house also and I've never seen one leak. I wouldn't be worried about the plumbing job whatsoever.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
House Renovation... does it ever stop?

We will be moving back in Mid-May post second set of Demo....
- Kitchen Renovation (Adding proper space for Dining by merging Pantry and Kitchen. Pantry is a separate room right now)
- Dining Room Renovation (Adding Closets, stripping wallpaper and replacing plaster ceiling)
wallpaper, holy shit, like from 80s? you got wood paneling in your basement?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Now, about the plumbing, PEX with crimp on fittings are fine.
un scientific tests say don't worry
Pex is better than copper in every way and anyone that tells you it's not is probably an old fart plumber who is butthurt because people don't have to hire them to waste time and money soldering it together anymore

HAHA, not sure where you all are pulling that I don't want PEX, maybe I complained about it but I wasn't meaning that I was salty about the PEX. My 1st choice on plumbing this all WAS PEX, my worry isn't with the PEX itself but with a couple connections that my dad installed, against my suggestion, on the mixing valve that were threaded and, originally, sealed with teflon tape (once that setup leaked he switched to thread sealant).

to clarify...I WANT PEX...lol

---

Shit I think I'd be pretty happy with a free bathroom remodel like that.

It really seems like you're just looking for things to complain about.

The bathroom was entirely bought by me and he did about 1/2 the labor. I could have done 90% the labor but I was told (asked forcefully? LoL...) to wait for him so that I wouldn't fuck it up.

MAGICALLY the only thing he told me that I fucked up was the header over the door being a 4x4 instead of being a 2x6 sandwich, which he then arrived, looked at, and decided to not correct.

What I SHOULD have done was do it all myself, BUT I figured he would come in, explain some things I didn't know and work with me to build and understand the "Why" of building a bit since he had built an entire house from the ground up. He never did any of that, he would tell me to go out and buy a bunch of shit he never used and i ended up returning. He would yell and complain if I ever asked him a question because I'd rather "Stand around a talk and not work" questions like:

"Should we be leveling the tub?"

"Why do we need to notch the studs for the tub?"

"Can I put the fart fan in the middle of the room and the light over the toilet?"

I want to know WHY I am doing something, hence the point of me waiting for him to arrive to do this shit, because I want to understand things not just DO them. I can watch 100 youtube videos and understand more about the what, why and HOW of doing all this VS the experience he gave me.

I appreciate the help he provided BUT, I'm also salty that he didn't listen to many of my suggestions or requests. He didn't help ME build a bathroom for MY home, he helped me build a bathroom he would like in my home.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think diverter spout supplies get called out to be copper or galvanized... i can't remember where i read that though. I just remember my dad wanting to use cpvc one time against the instructions so i bludgeoned him to death.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Whelp...just found out that the tub we connected is the only (THAT I KNOW OF) location where the pipes come out of the ground left side COLD right side HOT...

all other locations (again. THAT I KNOW OF) are left side HOT right side COLD.

Both my dad and myself missed this, yay.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well, your shower is just bizzaro world.

I have a faucet in a bathroom that's reversed like that. Honestly, it won't ever matter. It's just an oddity. Easier to fix with a faucet though.

• 1Truth!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well, your shower is just bizzaro world.

I have a faucet in a bathroom that's reversed like that. Honestly, it won't ever matter. It's just an oddity. Easier to fix with a faucet though.
yea but scalding hot faucet burns hands and you instantly pull back, scalding hot shower makes lobster dick

• 1Worf

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
About a month ago I pulled up the blocks of the patio in my new house. I discovered that whoever installed the patio either put it straight on the soil (very sandy) or used a couple inches of paver sand. No class 5/concrete fines. This caused huge distortions across the whole patio.

I didn’t want to buy all new blocks, but I went out and got a cubic yard of concrete fines, removed a couple cubic yards of soil from where the pavers were, put down 2-3” of concrete fines (and an amateur effort at a one inch drop slope from the top of the patio to the edge - 8ft).

I’m not quite half done screeding the sand and laying the bricks. I need to power wash them once I get them all set. Then once that completely dries I’ll sweep polymeric sand into the cracks and use my buddy’s plate compactor to get everything nice and settled in.

535EAA70-BF0E-4E3E-A903-F0D84EDF222C.jpeg

iannis

Musty Nester
I kinda like a distorted patio. Something about it looks more natural, less regimented.

Obviously it sucks if you want to put furniture out there or if it causes water issues.

My patio is a giant slab of concrete though. So there's that.