Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My asbestos test on the popcorn ceiling came back negative so I guess I can get to scraping after the holidays.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So the plan was to go in this Saturday and finalize materials for my kitchen re-model at Home Depot. I had a phone call earlier this week to make some changes, and got back the drawings and new quote on Thursday. Was going to go in and finalize the cabinet doors, and then they send out a final verification. This is the new design and pretty excited about it.

View attachment 236478

But then! We have a family friend that just downgraded from a 5k to 3k sq ft house and is doing a ton of remodel. Find out they are ripping out the brand new kitchen because they don't like it, and so we offered to pay for the cabinets. She said we could just have them. So now, my mother who lives close to the house and was a kitchen/bath designer for 30 years is going Monday to measure and come up with some ideas on what we can use. Here's the MLS listing pictures of the kitchen.

View attachment 236479View attachment 236480View attachment 236481

Flight + Uhaul to get them home will be a lot cheaper than buying them all new ourselves. I'm excited to see what my mother can come up with.

Hey that’s awesome. Monday they start ripping out my living room and kitchen. Cabinets are coming in and new flooring is here. Appliances are on order and will be here by the time they’re finished with everything. Only issue right now is getting a quote for the countertops. Went to the granite supplier and picked out a couple of slabs of Snow Fall, my sink, etc but the company they sent it out to for the quote hasn’t responded. I’m chalking it up to the Holiday and will give them until Monday to respond.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
OH SNAP I KNOW YOUR REDDIT USERNAME NOW.
I dont remember posting about this on Reddit.

So this leaked again, not nearly as badly though. Upon checking the seal Im not sure if I fucked myself with originally trying to use that caulk or if its due to how much play there is between the flat root and angled roof but seam broke on the bottom side in a few places. I redid it, this time laying a strip of asphalt bonding fabric to beef it up.

Heres what the damage looks like atm though;

Some lovely termite damage revealed by the first spot;
20191225_150144.jpg

20191225_150129.jpg

And Im going to assume massive gaps like that in drywall are a sign of incompetent labor? Aside from the gap its is also not level at all, they had to use probably an 1/8 of an inch of compound or more to level to the sheets;

20191225_150034.jpg

Patching this dry wall is fairly straight forward? Ive had to put off dealing with this due to spraining my ankle pretty bad(still dont have full mobility) and then getting bit on my hand with by a cat which sent me to the doctor.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
From the looks of staining and beams that leaking has been going on for a long time. Do you have access to the attic space to see where else the water may have collected? If there's even a slight slope on the sheathing or beams the water can easily run 10-15+ feet from the incursion point. You could have all kinds of damage up there.

You need a competent roofer to redo that whole section.

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
It looks tightly packed with insulation. That stuff is like a sponge. If the water was running too far you probably would have had the drywall buckle or give under the weight of it. It's probably not quite as bad as you d fear.

That has been leaking for a long time though.

You can diy it to be workable. To really get it right does sound like a job for a roofer. That's a little more than a weekend project. You probably have to rebuild the entire join to fix fix it. And at that point... I might just toss that on the new roof pile.

A decent patch is absolutely better than nothing, though.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good news - been hitting salvation army and antique stores and picking up odds and ends for the tiki shed. Made a water feature out of a clay pot and a little water pump, hooked it up so it turns on when you turn on the lights and turns off when you leave. Adds that natural trickling water sound, which I like. We've had an unseasonably warm December so we've been out using it and the fire pit at night.

Bad news - just had my annual checkup and my liver enzymes are high - one potential cause is too much alcohol.

water feature.jpg

night bar.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Good news - been hitting salvation army and antique stores and picking up odds and ends for the tiki shed. Made a water feature out of a clay pot and a little water pump, hooked it up so it turns on when you turn on the lights and turns off when you leave. Adds that natural trickling water sound, which I like. We've had an unseasonably warm December so we've been out using it and the fire pit at night.

Bad news - just had my annual checkup and my liver enzymes are high - one potential cause is too much alcohol.

How high and what the ration of AST to ALT? Are you heavy? A common cause of elevated liver enzymes in fatty liver disease. They can do an ultrasound of your liver, etc, to get further information. Also how much do you drink? And whats your favorite recipe for a zombie?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
How high and what the ration of AST to ALT? Are you heavy? A common cause of elevated liver enzymes in fatty liver disease. They can do an ultrasound of your liver, etc, to get further information. Also how much do you drink? And whats your favorite recipe for a zombie?

ALT 74, AST 47. Not heavy, I'm 6'3 and 190. Put all that other info over in the health thread. Have not been drinking zombies, we make a classic MaiTai which is fresh squeezed lime, dark rum, light rum, simple syrup, orange liqueur, almond syrup.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
fence.png

Hey guys,

I was hoping to get a little design help. This is the architects estimate of how a house I want to build will fit on my land. My question is how would you fence this lot? It's about 0.88 acres total. I plan to have a pool in the back, and I value privacy. Would you just fence a small portion of it, then leave the rest unfenced and just have it sitting on the side of your house? Or would you fence in the whole area?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I'd fence straight out from the sides of your house to the property lines, and then fence in your whole back yard. You have to fence at least some of the area if you have a pool, so why not just fence the whole area and have a nice, secluded, private area?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 240760

Hey guys,

I was hoping to get a little design help. This is the architects estimate of how a house I want to build will fit on my land. My question is how would you fence this lot? It's about 0.88 acres total. I plan to have a pool in the back, and I value privacy. Would you just fence a small portion of it, then leave the rest unfenced and just have it sitting on the side of your house? Or would you fence in the whole area?
What does your property back to? Woods? Fields? Neighbor's Houses? Cliff View?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There's no better way to celebrate the holidays than scraping crap off your ceiling.

The crap is coming off pretty well. Got the bedrooms done and the hallway and the dining room. Kitchen and living room left. It's making a huge mess and I decided I'm going to hang plastic in the kitchen before I scrape it to try to keep it out of the cabinets and appliances.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
The crap is coming off pretty well. Got the bedrooms done and the hallway and the dining room. Kitchen and living room left. It's making a huge mess and I decided I'm going to hang plastic in the kitchen before I scrape it to try to keep it out of the cabinets and appliances.

Good for you! Stick with it, the end is in sight!

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My neighbors wooden fence is leaning into my yard. Looks like shit. Dumb bitch did it herself and used no concrete. (One of those "If a man can do it...") Just dug fuckin holes and stuck the poles in the ground. Threw the dirt back in the holes. AND she has shit leaning against the fence. Two bad days of wind, and the whole fence around her house is leaning. Can I legally just rip up the 3 spans/poles and replace them myself? I don't want to put my fence up next to hers...it will just weaken my fence.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Call the city/county bylaws office and see what you can do. Often times if it is an eyesore, badly constructed, and leaning in to your yard you are legally able to do anything you want to it after giving something like a couple weeks notice to your neighbour to give her the chance to fix it.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It may vary by jurisdiction, but wherever I've lived if it's vertically above your property, it's yours. (Branches, fences, etc. In the other direction, tree roots can get complicated because the effect isn't confined to your property.) Clearly, the neighborly thing to do is to talk to them first, but I don't know what your relationship is like.

If you do take action, document first and have a current survey in hand.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Stupid maybe question

House has super thick plaster walls. I used an electronic stud finder and no dice, super inconsistent. Got the recommended magnet one, works on our inner drywall perfect but not the thick plaster outer walls. Some walls i can see a bulge where the stud is, but most not. I need to mount a heavy tv mount so I don't want to fuck this up. I found the stud by measuring from a corner and hoping it was at 16, drilling a small hole and verifying it was a stud. Is that my best hope here? Is there some other method I'm not aware of ?