Home Improvement

Vinen

God is dead
Thanks for the feedback. I’m down in Arkansas so we get a fair bit of weather, and my house is elevated on a cliff face so exposed and looking over the tree line. I want something to keep with the aesthetic and character of the place. Going too fancy will just be out of place. Have a designer coming next week to put something together. No way could I reliably put together a design with new floors, cabinets, countertops, splash, etc without it looking like a clown car. One of my good friends does tile work in multi multi million dollar homes so also leaning on him and will use him for some of the work

Sounds like you have in under control. My wife more or less relegated all our renovation decisions when it comes to paint, moulding, flooring, etc to our designer. The odd part is we have saved money by using her because the furniture she orders she gets a discount on and we ordered some pricey shit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not a fan of tile outside of maybe a bathroom. I was going to put tile in the kitchen of my current house but was told the subfloor wasn't stiff enough so I went with sheet vinyl and since then my brother did his whole upstairs with tile and I wouldn't trade him. Tile is hard and cold. If you drop a plate the thing is history and it will knock your toddler's teeth out way more easily than vinyl. The vinyl is just nicer to walk on IMO.

Real hardwood is more bragging rights these days. Luxury vinyl plank is much more durable and doesn't get damaged by water and visually you have to really look hard to tell the difference. Vinyl plank is also much quicker and easier to install if you're diy-ing it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I have installed and removed a bunch of composite flooring, in my experience it doesnt last, and I personally dont like the finish / textures of the surface. Check out Bamboo floors, cheaper than hardwood. I did a few, even put it in my own house, lasted 20 years with 3 dogs. Needs to be replaced now. Only downside of bamboo is you are going to torch more than a few blades installing it. That and if you never move your rugs it will get 'sunburned' in exposed areas.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
One downside of bamboo is your house looks like a strip mall massage parlor.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vinen

God is dead
One downside of bamboo is your house looks like a strip mall massage parlor.

Speaking from experience?

Radiant floor went out in my 2nd floor bathroom. Least it was a "cheap" part. Labor + Part will be 800... part had to be ordered... arrrrg.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So good news is it look like that was indeed the source of the leak. We had almost another inch of rain this morning in a storm that was worse than the one last week. Bad news is only got maybe 2 hours of sleep due to wondering if my roof was gonna leak and all the noise, damn thunder at the end of November. Pretty crazy storm, news says there was a few tornadoes that touched down in the area and lots of knocked down trees.

20191127_093216.jpg

20191127_093222.jpg

Looked at the other portion of flat roof that covers my patio and it looks perfect, shingles all perfectly flush;

20191127_093433.jpg

Can't be 100% sure from the close up picture but that lower section definitely looks like it has a shallow enough grade to need rubber whenever you get around to having the roof redone.
Yeah it pools slightly(maybe a gallon or so of water?) in a few areas on the roof, one of those being where that gap was.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So the plan was to go in this Saturday and finalize materials for my kitchen re-model at Home Depot. I had a phone call earlier this week to make some changes, and got back the drawings and new quote on Thursday. Was going to go in and finalize the cabinet doors, and then they send out a final verification. This is the new design and pretty excited about it.

dawe kitchen pic 2.png

But then! We have a family friend that just downgraded from a 5k to 3k sq ft house and is doing a ton of remodel. Find out they are ripping out the brand new kitchen because they don't like it, and so we offered to pay for the cabinets. She said we could just have them. So now, my mother who lives close to the house and was a kitchen/bath designer for 30 years is going Monday to measure and come up with some ideas on what we can use. Here's the MLS listing pictures of the kitchen.

fdab17503b1bf39e8ee922c9712465dbl-m9xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpgfdab17503b1bf39e8ee922c9712465dbl-m10xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpgfdab17503b1bf39e8ee922c9712465dbl-m14xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Flight + Uhaul to get them home will be a lot cheaper than buying them all new ourselves. I'm excited to see what my mother can come up with.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So the plan was to go in this Saturday and finalize materials for my kitchen re-model at Home Depot. I had a phone call earlier this week to make some changes, and got back the drawings and new quote on Thursday. Was going to go in and finalize the cabinet doors, and then they send out a final verification. This is the new design and pretty excited about it.

View attachment 236478

But then! We have a family friend that just downgraded from a 5k to 3k sq ft house and is doing a ton of remodel. Find out they are ripping out the brand new kitchen because they don't like it, and so we offered to pay for the cabinets. She said we could just have them. So now, my mother who lives close to the house and was a kitchen/bath designer for 30 years is going Monday to measure and come up with some ideas on what we can use. Here's the MLS listing pictures of the kitchen.

View attachment 236479View attachment 236480View attachment 236481

Flight + Uhaul to get them home will be a lot cheaper than buying them all new ourselves. I'm excited to see what my mother can come up with.
is that wall/doorway where the fridge opens up to?, you sure you don't just want a single door that swings right?

Crone

is that wall/doorway where the fridge opens up to?, you sure you don't just want a single door that swings right?
There's a huge opening on the left side of the kitchen. That opening starts about 3ft out from the fridge. That what you mean?

And I ended up returning that table saw... Lol. It sat unopened and was used as a crap catcher surface for so long in my house. Lowes took it back for full refund. Bought a bunch of other stuff for the house with it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There's a huge opening on the left side of the kitchen. That opening starts about 3ft out from the fridge. That what you mean?

And I ended up returning that table saw... Lol. It sat unopened and was used as a crap catcher surface for so long in my house. Lowes took it back for full refund. Bought a bunch of other stuff for the house with it.
well with you nabbing some cabinets, theres even less of a use for the table saw i guess.

Crone

well with you nabbing some cabinets, theres even less of a use for the table saw i guess.
Yea. It was for my wife, because she's down with doing projects and shit like that. Except I now know that projects of hers never get done, so lesson learned. Not falling for her traps!

Vinen

God is dead
Kitchen is plastered. Flooring going in early this week. Appliances coming end of week. Seeing the end of this year of Renovations in sight.

Space is much larger than I expected it to be mentally.

Next years project is repair of rott on front porch.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Kitchen is plastered. Flooring going in early this week. Appliances coming end of week. Seeing the end of this year of Renovations in sight.

Space is much larger than I expected it to be mentally.

Next years project is repair of rott on front porch.
is the kitchen heated?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So good news is it look like that was indeed the source of the leak. We had almost another inch of rain this morning in a storm that was worse than the one last week. Bad news is only got maybe 2 hours of sleep due to wondering if my roof was gonna leak and all the noise, damn thunder at the end of November. Pretty crazy storm, news says there was a few tornadoes that touched down in the area and lots of knocked down trees.

View attachment 235218

View attachment 235219

Looked at the other portion of flat roof that covers my patio and it looks perfect, shingles all perfectly flush;

View attachment 235220

Yeah it pools slightly(maybe a gallon or so of water?) in a few areas on the roof, one of those being where that gap was.

OH SNAP I KNOW YOUR REDDIT USERNAME NOW.