Home Improvement

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Do you have a water softener system in your house Burren Burren ? Was the water ever tested and found to have a high sulfur content? Is the smell ammonia or rotten eggs? Can you post a picture of the water heater setup from afar and it’s location?

I am a master plumber in Boston fwiw.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you have a water softener system in your house Burren Burren ? Was the water ever tested and found to have a high sulfur content? Is the smell ammonia or rotten eggs? Can you post a picture of the water heater setup from afar and it’s location?

Amonia, for sure. Nothing rotten. Water heater is in the attic space (no basements in Houston). Not sure on the softener, but I'll be looking into that this weekend. I'll get some pics too.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Amonia, for sure. Nothing rotten. Water heater is in the attic space (no basements in Houston). Not sure on the softener, but I'll be looking into that this weekend. I'll get some pics too.

If you're not sure about a water softener, you haven't been putting salt into it, so even if you have one, you're not getting the benefits.

whoo

<Silver Donator>

Hey, if you use PEX (B type) regularly, do you recommend the solid copper crimp rings or the silver (stainless?) ones that seem to crimp like a hose clamp but without a screw. I inherited a bunch of pex pipe and brass fittings that ill use to plumb cold water i to my workshop, but i need to get the rings and a crimp tool. Would appreciate your advice/opinion.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I like the stainless ones personally. They are a bit more expensive than the copper rings but the tool is cheaper. I've read that the stainless clamps are stronger in the event of freezing. They are also easier to put on in tight quarters and easier to remove. Get a crimp tool that can also be used to cut the rings off. Mine doesn't do that and I can just cut them with a pair of dykes but it would be handy to just use the same tool.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Hey, if you use PEX (B type) regularly, do you recommend the solid copper crimp rings or the silver (stainless?) ones that seem to crimp like a hose clamp but without a screw. I inherited a bunch of pex pipe and brass fittings that ill use to plumb cold water i to my workshop, but i need to get the rings and a crimp tool. Would appreciate your advice/opinion.

Stainless steel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Posted in another thread but manchievement unlocked. Built it 90% myself with the wife occasionally helping for the two persons parts
IMG_20200517_120750.jpg

Took 30-40 hours with 6 being that tube slide alone. Had 250 bolts to put it together.

Only messed up a few things. Couple extra drilled holes we didn't need, screwed stuff into the wrong place a couple times and had to redo but considering I did it myself I'm pretty damn proud.

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Heater in the attic looks like its brand new. But, there is a decent amount of calcification around the fittings and that smell is so strong on the south side of the house. Can't tell if there is a water softener or not, but I'm not entirely sure what to look for. We moved in 4 days before the world locked down and we really haven't had a chance to fiddle with everything yet. But, I think this has to be addressed this week.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Noodleface Noodleface we did the same thing by luck before the lockdown went in place in MA. Had a nice stretch of weather in March and we bought it and I put it together. Things a life saver now.

497E6280-D9B9-419D-A362-6AAA246F03C8.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea that's a humble brag if I ever seen one! Haha naw, I know you didn't mean it that way but shit. Nice as fuck grass, nice playset with forest directly behind? You doing alright bro!

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Didn’t mean it as a humble brag, just was showing solidarity with my fellow Masshole Noodle, hope to see him at the Southwick Zoo this summer. Maybe have his family over to run around, have a fire, drink some beers.

He can even move in the shed if the wife tosses him.

FB387523-B723-4A42-81F8-A3F35BB719F9.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Didn’t mean it as a humble brag, just was showing solidarity with my fellow Masshole Noodle, hope to see him at the Southwick Zoo this summer. Maybe have his family over to run around, have a fire, drink some beers.

View attachment 270865
We usually go to southwick once a year. Kids love feeding the deer. Love that place

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 270865

My parents live in Gloucester and have had nothing but shit weather all the way through to May. 40's and rain. You're lucky if it looks that nice right now.