Home Improvement

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
More serious question.

A few weeks ago I noticed a small bit of wood dust on my TV stand in the basement. Noticed my sub floor looked like it was rotting... But it's not set, the surrounding wood is all fine.. just this??

IMG_20200503_223425.jpg
IMG_20200503_223355.jpg

At first I thought maybe termites but I have no sign of them anywhere. This is isolated to this tiny spot (maybe 2 inches long for reference).

But it got worse today when I noticed the piece of wood floor above this looks like it's rotting in that spot.

Any idea what this is? How can I even rectify this? I'm not really keen on replacing a sub floor.plank

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Steep, but probably worth it with both sulfur and hard water. How long have you had it and would you repurchase?
It was definitely some sticker shock but the water is the best water I’ve ever had. Forgot to mention it’s also sediment filter and chlorine then chlorine removed before it goes into the house of course. Had it for just over a year and the only problem I’ve had is the tannin capture burnt up because of the high volume. They replaced it with a new unit free of charge.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You see any ants in the vicinity?
No ants, it's been so cold here (40s) that I haven't seen any insects until this weekend.

This is what I come down to every day. This could be from my maniac.kids jumping on the floor but not sure. It's so weird.

IMG_20200503_232627.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
In my area Culligan hooked me up with $10k of filtration and softener equipment for like $130/mth 0% financing. They even come out once a month to top up the consumables for $2 convenience fee.

Edit: we have basically everything that can be bad about well water in our water: bacteria, tannins, hard water, and metals.

What all did you get for $10k? I have a sediment filter, softener, iron filter, and RO system and it cost around $5K. My water measures about 45 grains per gallon. If you drip some water on the floor it will leave a white spot when it dries. The culligan guy said he had seen it as high as 75 grains though.

Measurement of water hardness
According to the Water Quality Association:

• soft: 0-3.5 grains per gallon (gpg)
  • moderate: 3.5-7.0 gpg
  • hard: 7.0-10.5 gpg
  • very hard: over 10.5 gpg

Siliconemelons

Yeah I found that stuff and know what I want... but if I don't want a "stone" header or footer..I just want "trim" what do I use? Get a stucco guy to make it? Buy some foam thing that gets plastered on and textured? My next door peeps just did all theirs, added trim around their windows, garage etc. It's like foam facade that's textured to match their stucco and then pained their trim/accent color.

I want to do faux stacked stone on the bottom of my house- generally it's up to the bottom of your highest windows - and mine have a window still- I was wanting to extend the still...kinda...as the stones header....across the wall that goes beyond the window. Then I have 2 in-set decorative things...I am contemplating maybe having the "trim" go up and arch around them... I am working on making slat style "shutters" for them to be pained the houses accent/trim color...

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No ants, it's been so cold here (40s) that I haven't seen any insects until this weekend.

This is what I come down to every day. This could be from my maniac.kids jumping on the floor but not sure. It's so weird.

View attachment 267354

Its possible that its just a weak spot in the wood and after drying and being walked on for years its given out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Its possible that its just a weak spot in the wood and after drying and being walked on for years its given out.
Could be true. It's just weird because it looked like someone started filing this oval into the wood.

I guess I'll just watch it and if it gets bigger I'll have to get it fixed.

I wonder if the kids jumping (seriously shakes the house) is just loosening up shit that has been there for awhile

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Could be true. It's just weird because it looked like someone started filing this oval into the wood.

I guess I'll just watch it and if it gets bigger I'll have to get it fixed.

I wonder if the kids jumping (seriously shakes the house) is just loosening up shit that has been there for awhile

I'm sure that's part of it. The falling dust is disconcerting. I've got some of that happening with plaster right now around some door frames. Can also be seasonal with house shifting.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
definitely not the termites I had as you'd be seeing little holes all over where they are chewing through the wood and popping out

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
New pantry finished just before the stay at home orders went into place, and just this past week WA reopened residential construction so my contractor came back and started putting in the new floors! It's just the start, and he's mindful of repeating patterns, as I made a big deal about it. The blue pad was existing, but in really great shape, so we left it. Underneath that is some old sheet linoleum that never got tore up and I'm not gonna be one to do it either.

IMG-20200505-WA0008.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
New pantry finished just before the stay at home orders went into place, and just this past week WA reopened residential construction so my contractor came back and started putting in the new floors! It's just the start, and he's mindful of repeating patterns, as I made a big deal about it. The blue pad was existing, but in really great shape, so we left it. Underneath that is some old sheet linoleum that never got tore up and I'm not gonna be one to do it either.

View attachment 267856
What product did you end up going with?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What product did you end up going with?
Despite my protests, we stuck with the laminate plank we had originally chosen. In 5 years, after my 3 kids have tore it to shreds, I'll get to smile and tell the wife, "I told you so!". Or maybe not and it'll last forever. lol

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Despite my protests, we stuck with the laminate plank we had originally chosen. In 5 years, after my 3 kids have tore it to shreds, I'll get to smile and tell the wife, "I told you so!". Or maybe not and it'll last forever. lol
It won't all be fucked, but I will be surprised if you don't see little extra wear and tear in high traffic areas with potential for moisture. Like the door your family uses most to enter and exit your home.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

View attachment 267856

That looks like decent laminate, it will last...I had 75 cent sq foot laminate for 4 years and it was in fairly decent shape when I put in the stuff from sams club (actually darn decent) - I have 1 spot that have 2 like patterns staggered next to each other...thanks for reminding me >_< RUSTLED MY JIMMINITYS

but I see a like pattern 2 planks // separated ... not bad...as you really cannot avoid it, you move it, its just next to another different pattern... as long as they are not right next to each other, its all good.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
My first venture into this thread. Hoping it won't be my last. Could use some advice..

So I have 16 acres of land with forest/river running through it and a tiny old cabin on it that's very old. Ironically this land is in the back of a pretty woodsy feeling subdivision. It's a some unique piece of property that was purchased back when land here was cents to the dollar.

The cabin has had some work done. I need to have it replumbed.

I'd like to have the powerlines buried from the property entrance to the house. Being in Florida the property gets wrecked with trees falling down after hurricanes and the pole we have on property is on its last leg... I'd also like to have internet put in, there's currently no line ran to the house for it. The distance isn't super far on property and there's neighbors right outside the property so the infrastructure off property is there.

Quick googlefu isn't helping much so I'll get some opinions here. Could an electrician bury those electrical lines and run the lines for cable (internet+tv)? Would I need to contact the available internet service provider and have their contractor do it (is that something they do?) or do I need some sort of contractor to do all this. Not quite sure where to start. This sounds like stuff home builders do.

If it gets traction I'll post pics. Cabin overlooks a river, lots of bear, deer and turkey on the property.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
My first venture into this thread. Hoping it won't be my last. Could use some advice..

So I have 16 acres of land with forest/river running through it and a tiny old cabin on it that's very old. Ironically this land is in the back of a pretty woodsy feeling subdivision. It's a some unique piece of property that was purchased back when land here was cents to the dollar.

The cabin has had some work done. I need to have it replumbed.

I'd like to have the powerlines buried from the property entrance to the house. Being in Florida the property gets wrecked with trees falling down after hurricanes and the pole we have on property is on its last leg... I'd also like to have internet put in, there's currently no line ran to the house for it. The distance isn't super far on property and there's neighbors right outside the property so the infrastructure off property is there.

Quick googlefu isn't helping much so I'll get some opinions here. Could an electrician bury those electrical lines and run the lines for cable (internet+tv)? Would I need to contact the available internet service provider and have their contractor do it (is that something they do?) or do I need some sort of contractor to do all this. Not quite sure where to start. This sounds like stuff home builders do.

If it gets traction I'll post pics. Cabin overlooks a river, lots of bear, deer and turkey on the property.

Call the electric company re: the power lines. They will handle burying/extending the line. If the pole is a safety hazard, they may do it for free. Otherwise they will spec the job and give you a quote. The lines from the power meter outward are their property. They need to do it.

If the internet is a new install, call the ISP. Its usually free with hook up.

How far from the street is the cabin? If it's more than 500 feet, youll most likely have to pay extra.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Call the electric company re: the power lines. They will handle burying/extending the line. If the pole is a safety hazard, they may do it for free. Otherwise they will spec the job and give you a quote. The lines from the power meter outward are their property. They need to do it.

If the internet is a new install, call the ISP. Its usually free with hook up.

How far from the street is the cabin? If it's more than 500 feet, youll most likely have to pay extra.

I think the power meter is outside the property gate? I know the water meter is. Not sure. Good info tho, I'll give them a call. Just to clarify there is definitely one, maybe two poles on my property. One pole is on its last leg, I mean it's ghetto as fuck and so is the janky ass cables running from it to the house.

Uhh id say more than 500ft. Happy to pay, just wasn't sure who to contact but I'll give them a ring. Now let's say the ISP does lay the lines to the house, will I need an electrician to do go from there to install cat5 Jack's etc? (I'm not doing that ish). Dunno is the ISP is gonna be willing start cutting into the house?

Thanks

Last edited:

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I think the power meter is outside the property gate? I know the water meter is. Not sure. Good info tho, I'll give them a call.

Uhh id say more than 500ft. Happy to pay, just wasn't sure who to contact but I'll give them a ring. Now let's say the ISP does lay the lines to the house, will I need an electrician to do go from there to install cat5 Jack's etc? (I'm not doing that ish). Dunno is the ISP is gonna be willing start cutting into the house?

Thanks

Yes the ISP will get you installed and fully functional. If you want to run cat5 to various rooms from where the dsl modem is placed, an electrician is your best bet. But these days, i would just go wireless. Most ISPs are going to leave you a modem that includes wifi. If the cabin is very large, you might need more wireless equipment, but I'd just start with what the ISP gives you. If you need more powerful, extensible wifi, look at Ubiquiti Amplifi. Its super easy.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yes the ISP will get you installed and fully functional. If you want to run cat5 to various rooms from where the dsl modem is placed, an electrician is your best bet. But these days, i would just go wireless. Most ISPs are going to leave you a modem that includes wifi. If the cabin is very large, you might need more wireless equipment, but I'd just start with what the ISP gives you. If you need more powerful, extensible wifi, look at Ubiquiti Amplifi. Its super easy.

Yep I use ubiquiti amplifis so the plan is to go with them. Just wasn't sure if the initial modern Jack would be installed by isp. Thanks for the help!