Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The epoxy crack injection is for basement walls where water might come through the cracks. Probably overkill for just a cosmetic crack. Just get some caulk in there to fill the gap and paint it. No need to overthink it. That quikrete stuff from the video looks good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Is there any advantage to staining a deck board by board prior to install or just staining visible areas?

Random question. Nice idea on the concrete pillars. I wouldn't have thought of that. My deck has wood pillars, they're probably the only part of the deck that's reusable... They're in great condition and I think they're original. Honestly NFC how that's possible with florida weather heh. 🤷‍♂️

I'll never stain a deck again. I'll either leave it green lumber or I'll get composite top that is the colour you want already. Staining a deck is a damned pain in the ass, and it never looks perfect beyond the first year. There will always be variations in the colour. And then you have to redo it every couple of years. Nah, Leave the lumber green and just spray a clear coat over it periodically.
But to answer your question, you'll get a better stain job if you do the boards before putting them down, but it is a huge pain in the ass.

The epoxy crack injection is for basement walls where water might come through the cracks. Probably overkill for just a cosmetic crack. Just get some caulk in there to fill the gap and paint it. No need to overthink it. That quikrete stuff from the video looks good.

This is exactly right.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Just had my first trespassers today. Arlo caught two kids and an adult. I don't really mind but I'd like to establish a "hey if you wanna have access to my property here's my phone number, call and ask."

Nfc how they got in. Property if almost entirely fenced with barbed wire on top other than one side that backs up to a subdivision but its hella thick woods so seems like it would be a PITA to get kids through.

How hard is it to do chain fencing? Everyone always says it's pricey. Is that a project you and a buddy can do over the weekend with some tool rental? Would be nice if I could finish the fencing so the entire property is inside it.

Last edited:

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Just had my first trespassers today. Arlo caught two kids and an adult. I don't really mind but I'd like to establish a "hey if you wanna have access to my property here's my phone number, call and ask."

Nfc how they got in. Property if almost entirely fenced with barbed wire on top other than one side that backs up to a subdivision but its hella thick woods so seems like it would be a PITA to get kids through.

How hard is it to do chain fencing? Everyone always says it's pricey. Is that a project you and a buddy can do over the weekend with some tool rental? Would be nice if I could finish the fencing so the entire property is inside it.
I would start by just figuring out where they are entering from and why? Is it a short cut to get somewhere or are they just walking to view the land not realizing someone is now living on the property. Hang some no trespassing signs. Chainlink is expensive for a large property and if you like wildlife I would avoid it. Do cattle fencing if you want to establish a property line and wildlife can still cross freely.

Edit: Chainlink is a PITA also when vines discover it. They make the fence a huge sail that will blow over easily in tropical storm forced winds. Would have to walk the property line spraying roundup regularly to kill it.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I would start by just figuring out where they are entering from and why? Is it a short cut to get somewhere or are they just walking to view the land not realizing someone is now living on the property. Hang some no trespassing signs. Chainlink is expensive for a large property and if you like wildlife I would avoid it. Do cattle fencing if you want to establish a property line and wildlife can still cross freely.

Edit: Chainlink is a PITA also when vines discover it. They make the fence a huge sail that will blow over easily in tropical storm forced winds. Would have to walk the property line spraying roundup regularly to kill it.
Yeah gonna do a property walk on Wednesday. Ordered some no trespassing video surveillance violators will be prosecuted etc signs and then someone violators will be shot and survivors shot again to put further in the property for those who don't heed the initial signs

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Aye or nay for using elastomeric paint for concrete block house to help prevent moisture and further hairline cracking? I feel like on one hand it could end up holding moisture in if it somehow finds a way in.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also think I'm gonna buy a flag pole and fly American flag on it. Any other flags worth flying? 🤔

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I might periodically just go over and slap your neighbour. That's just so many unacceptable things all in one story. Holy crap. Letting wood just rot, not using equipment, buying superfluous equipment and not using it, sheesh. I'm rustled. If you decide to go in and rebuild the corral, give me a call. I'll help.

Sounds like he is eat with paralysis by analysis.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Nice. I've watched a few of that guy's videos but I haven't seen that one.

This story probably isn't interesting, but I had to get it off my chest.

My neighbor whose ranch we lease is the "work smarter not harder" guy and he's also my 2nd cousin or something like that. He literally has been planning to rebuild his corral for 11 years now. This isn't a big corral. Maybe 12 or 15 posts and some steel panels and 3 gates. He bought the posts and rails like 7 years ago. His dad had an old 50's Farmall tractor with a post pounder on it and for a couple years he was planning to get it running. He thought it just needed a battery but then when he got the battery it still wouldn't start and he gave up on it for a couple of years. Then he bought an old Belarus tractor (yes built in the former Soviet state of Belarus). For a while he was going to mount the post pounder on that and actually bought several items to adapt it since the mounts wouldn't work. Then he discovered that it didn't have enough hydraulic flow to run the post pounder. At that point he told me "I don't know, if I can't get this thing working I guess I'm just going to have to start digging holes by hand". I resisted the urge to scream at him "IF YOU HAD STARTED DIGGING HOLES WHEN YOU STARTED FUCKING AROUND WITH THIS POST POUNDER YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE A WEEK LATER EVEN IF YOU ONLY DUG 2 HOLES A DAY AND NOW IT'S BEEN 7 YEARS". The hydraulic flow thing set him back for a couple of years and then 2 years ago he actually bought an antique Farmall tractor just like his Dad's old one at an auction AND bought a fucking trailer to haul it home (like $6k for the tractor and $3k for the trailer). 2 years later that god damn tractor is still sitting on the trailer. Hasn't moved an inch since he brought it home and now the tractor has a flat tire that the sidewall is split on which will probably be another insurmountable obstacle.

It gives me anxiety every time I see those posts rotting on the ground or that tractor sitting on the trailer. I have fantasized about just going over there with my brother and building the corral in 2 days which would be easy to do. I'm not like a workaholic or someone who never procrastinates or anything, but this guy breaks all records. When we renewed the lease with him this spring he told us "Well I have that tractor to put the post pounder on so you will have that corral to use pretty soon". I've never had to work so hard to not roll my eyes. I don't even care about using the corral, it just drives me nuts to see all that stuff sitting there when it would be so easy to do if he would just fucking get to work.

I used to know a guy that worked dumber and harder at everything he did. He would spend half an hour doing a 5 minute job because he was too lazy to spend a minute looking for the proper tool. He never listened to anyone about how to do anything. As a result, all of his projects were disasters of varying degrees. He bought a deck kit despite having all the tools to do it himself AND he installed it incorrectly. It wobbled and got ice dams in the winter.

He bought a new truck and decided to put wheels on it that he had laying around. Why, I do not know. I told him to make sure it had the correct offset and he told me there was no such thing. That was the last time I talked to him. Last I heard, he got rid of the the truck because it had a weak front end. Oh yeah, he drained the oil and ran ATF in it to clean the carbon out. On a modern fuel injected engine with low miles. It sounded like a tin can full of ball bearings after that.

His crowning achievement? He "knew a guy" that would give him a deal on a septic system. The municipality made him remove it a year later. This was the type of guy who couldn't afford to make mistakes, yet he was always making them.

• 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1WTF

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finally getting the floors I wanted to be done last year today. No more carpet as carpet is for fags.

• 1Solidarity

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also think I'm gonna buy a flag pole and fly American flag on it. Any other flags worth flying? 🤔

1596551347285.png

1596551287351.png

1596551309930.png

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Trump 2020 flag sends all the warnings about no trespassing, violators shot, etc, in one succinct message imo. You have to pass about a dozen between the highway and the two miles to my driveway. Oddly enough we don’t even have problems with soliciting let alone trespass or rioting. Hell, Culligan calls me the day before they come out every month to top up the softener salt and chlorine just to make sure there’s no surprises.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Trump 2020 flag sends all the warnings about no trespassing, violators shot, etc, in one succinct message imo. You have to pass about a dozen between the highway and the two miles to my driveway. Oddly enough we don’t even have problems with soliciting let alone trespass or rioting. Hell, Culligan calls me the day before they come out every month to top up the softener salt and chlorine just to make sure there’s no surprises.
Until some tdser decides to light my property on fire.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Looking for recommendations.

I’ve been in my current house about a year. Love it here. We have a very large basement that currently is a video game and play room for the kids. I use these terms lightly. Basement is roughly 40x40. Currently the floor is just the concret with a layer of gray paint. We have a couple area rugs down and the kids play areas are all the foam rubber interlocking tiles. The ceilings are 8 foot or so but are currently open with no work ever being done. So it’s all wiring and ductwork. Not a big problem pretty standard. The walls are the issue. It’s a layer of insulation all the way around so basically our walls are the shiny plastic outer coat of insulation. So it doesn’t look great. But the kids are 4 and 1 and don’t care and we decided to delay work on the basement until now to focus on other areas first. We haven’t spent much money on the other projects but it’s just been a lot of time with light fixtures, landscaping and such, wiring, appliances etc.

We don’t want to whole sale finish the basement in typical terms because we don’t necessarily need to spend a ton for the space - we are happy with it functionally we just want to make it nicer looking and be able to hang stuff on the walls. We’ve been back and forth over the year. We have a simp pump/radon mitigation setup in one corner. Water tanks furnace and ac on the other side. The basement flooded once when the electric was out and our water powered backup didn’t kick in so we had to replace that. My wife is weary of flooding being something that happens again.

her friend recently did a floorin their basement with some kind of foam rubber spray, anyonehave experience with this? Basically it made the floor a sponge my sealed floor and she went up like a foot with it to essentially make the floor and 18 inches waterproof other than items and furniture on the floor. My wife wants to do something like that and keep using areas rugs, then do like a ship lap wall the rest of the way up and leave the ceiling as is. She doesn’t want to frame in any of the water tanks or furnace or sump pump areas and i do. I want to just spray the ceiling black and leave it open.

anyone have some suggestions or notes on these ideas? I’m going to call a contractor to come take a look at the basement and give us some cost ideas.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
My skills are more along the lines of replacing things rather than building out a whole space. In the hear I’ve required every outlet and light switch, replaced light fixtures and fans and bathroom Fans, tOre out the vanities and replaced. Screened in the porch. New garage door. But I’m just more comfortable paying for the basement work on the harder stuff just need to know what’s worth it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Hit me with some fridge recs fags.

Requirements:
  • 35 inch width limit.
  • Drawer pull out freezer on the bottom.
  • double doors.
  • $3500 max price I'll pay.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Edit- resolved

Last edited:
  • 1Salty