Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yes ice maker.
i've been looking off and on for deals, i'd say good brands start at 1200

you add more money if you want

external ice dispenser

4 door (theres another drawer in the middle for more used items)

your style is called french door

heres a best buy link

reminder that labor day is a month away for sales

i personally wouldn't get an ice maker all these bad reviews i see are ice maker related, we wanna get out of ks, so we've been putting off big appliance purchases for a while is why we haven't pulled the trigger on a new fridge.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Sounds like he is eat with paralysis by analysis.

That's part of it but he's also lazy as fuck and has no resilience once he hits an obstacle. He just quits. A few years ago another neighbor cut hay on the part of his place that we don't lease. They split the bales with him 50/50 and took their half and left his sitting in the field. 30ish round bales worth probably about $2000 total. All he has to move them is a bale pickup so he can only take 2 at a time but it's only half a mile to the stackyard so it should be like a 3-4 hour job to put them away. He hauled about 4 bales and then said he was getting motion sickness from driving on the bumpy field and quit. The rest of the bales just sat in the field for a couple years and finally some cows got in and ate them. There's also about $8k worth of hay that I cut and stacked for him rotting in the stackyard because he can't get around to selling it even though I have had multiple people who are interested in buying it call him.

I used to know a guy that worked dumber and harder at everything he did.

It's definitely possible to go too far the other direction too.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Looking for recommendations.

I’ve been in my current house about a year. Love it here. We have a very large basement that currently is a video game and play room for the kids. I use these terms lightly. Basement is roughly 40x40. Currently the floor is just the concret with a layer of gray paint. We have a couple area rugs down and the kids play areas are all the foam rubber interlocking tiles. The ceilings are 8 foot or so but are currently open with no work ever being done. So it’s all wiring and ductwork. Not a big problem pretty standard. The walls are the issue. It’s a layer of insulation all the way around so basically our walls are the shiny plastic outer coat of insulation. So it doesn’t look great. But the kids are 4 and 1 and don’t care and we decided to delay work on the basement until now to focus on other areas first. We haven’t spent much money on the other projects but it’s just been a lot of time with light fixtures, landscaping and such, wiring, appliances etc.

We don’t want to whole sale finish the basement in typical terms because we don’t necessarily need to spend a ton for the space - we are happy with it functionally we just want to make it nicer looking and be able to hang stuff on the walls. We’ve been back and forth over the year. We have a simp pump/radon mitigation setup in one corner. Water tanks furnace and ac on the other side. The basement flooded once when the electric was out and our water powered backup didn’t kick in so we had to replace that. My wife is weary of flooding being something that happens again.

her friend recently did a floorin their basement with some kind of foam rubber spray, anyonehave experience with this? Basically it made the floor a sponge my sealed floor and she went up like a foot with it to essentially make the floor and 18 inches waterproof other than items and furniture on the floor. My wife wants to do something like that and keep using areas rugs, then do like a ship lap wall the rest of the way up and leave the ceiling as is. She doesn’t want to frame in any of the water tanks or furnace or sump pump areas and i do. I want to just spray the ceiling black and leave it open.

anyone have some suggestions or notes on these ideas? I’m going to call a contractor to come take a look at the basement and give us some cost ideas.

I had a similar situation in my basement. I just framed a wall across one end of it about 9 feet out. Hung the tv on the new wall and put an electronics cabinet on the other side. My water system is on one end and the rest of it is storage shelves and a pantry with a spare fridge and freezer. I'm pretty happy with it.

I have a drop ceiling which isn't the most beautiful but I wouldn't give up the convenience of being able to easily access the plumbing and electrical. Just painting it sounds like a good option to me.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Hit me with some fridge recs fags.

Requirements:
  • 35 inch width limit.
  • Drawer pull out freezer on the bottom.
  • double doors.
  • $3500 max price I'll pay.

Don't do the ice through the door with the freezer on the bottom. My mom has that and since she is always opening the door the ice gets all hairy and turns into one big block. I have the ice maker in the freezer drawer and it's always perfect. Not like it's that hard to open the freezer when you need ice. If you have to have the ice and water through the door get a side by side instead of the freezer drawer.

Say no to electronic bullshit in the door. It's expensive and useless and it will be the first thing that stops working down the road.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hit me with some fridge recs fags.

Requirements:
  • 35 inch width limit.
  • Drawer pull out freezer on the bottom.
  • double doors.
  • $3500 max price I'll pay.
Start looking at home depot and Best Buy to figure out what kind of fridge you want. $3500 is damn insane to pay for a fridge but I suppose if you want a video screen on the door? Or the door that is actually 2 doors? Lots of different shit out there.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Don't do the ice through the door with the freezer on the bottom. My mom has that and since she is always opening the door the ice gets all hairy and turns into one big block. I have the ice maker in the freezer drawer and it's always perfect. Not like it's that hard to open the freezer when you need ice. If you have to have the ice and water through the door get a side by side instead of the freezer drawer.

Say no to electronic bullshit in the door. It's expensive and useless and it will be the first thing that stops working down the road.
Huh? Have the ice maker in the door with the fencb style freezer on the bottom and this absolutely doesn't happen? Lol

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Home office improvement (floors)
IMG_20200806_074536.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Is that laminate or hardwood? Looks good. Put some shit on your wall though, looks like a prison library room.

• 1Truth!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is that laminate or hardwood? Looks good. Put some shit on your wall though, looks like a prison library room.
He’s got a good start with that parachutist’s badge.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Wow, a lot to respond to in here.

First, LG make a good fridge with the French style door. We've had one for 13 years now, no issue. And I agree with BrutulTM BrutulTM that you don't want the ice in the door. I have it in the freezer drawer and it's great. Having it in the door loses you space in the fridge, and it's no big deal to reach into the freezer to get ice.

And I agree with Brutul about the suspended ceiling, too. You can get some pretty nice ones, and no, they don't look as nice as a finished ceiling, but you have full access to your plumbing/electric above, and you don't have to fix ceilings after doing work. Once it is in, and finished, no one will notice that it's not a fully finished ceiling. And if they do, they're welcome to kiss you ass. I'd also recommend enclosing your HVAC/Water and such. Even if it doesn't seem like a big deal, once you finish a room, it's nice not to have the noise and mess of utilities in a room you might want to watch a movie or hang out in. Wall in the basement are a cinch. Also give you the opportunity to run more outlets, because who doesn't want more outlets?

• 2Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
To echo big dirk, I’m the kind of person that thinks “everyone is going to see this mistake I made/this thing I don’t like” but nobody ever does. The suspended ceiling may be lacking in aesthetics, but you’ll never regret having easy and immediate access to all your utilities.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

It's vinyl. I'll consider putting shit on the wall. I was never one to have posters and shit everywhere.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Neither have I. I always moved a lot, even growing up, but then in the military etc. I never considered it until recently, started with my office. I just did simple stuff, my kids arts and a bigass whiteboard sticker, really improved it for me. I'd put up a picture but my flooring is absolutely horrific and I'm not letting anyone see that shit.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What the hell is your PC covered in? Is that dust from the job? Damn. Lol

Looks really nice though. I'm not a huge fan of lighter colors like that but looks good.

I had thought I was filthy there for a second. Looks like just a characteristic of the dull metal color it is.

Lighter colors are okay though. I was able to convince the woman not to get this gray bleached wood looking color that she wanted.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
is that 57% humidity?

not saying anything wrong with that, thats what my bedroom hovers at cuz thats the best for my wifes allergies, normal humidity w/o the humidifier is 45%

Sure is. This is in Austin, TX. Seems to always be around that high here.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So I need to mount a ton of tools in my concrete block barn. Looking for mounting systems. Rubbermaid rails have mixed reviews on internet

I'm sure some of you bros have some sick mounting in your garage. Any suggestions on brands? Will be mounting right into concrete block.