Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Any recommendations for a battery powered mowers? My new yard is much smaller than my old one, so no doubt I could do it on a single 60 minute charge.

My old one is almost 10 years old and is starting to shit the bed... replaced the spark plug so not sure if I fucked it by putting old gas in it or what the problem is, but I'm thinking I need a new one.
i played around w/ new ryobi at home depot. i'm very leery about electric, i had a corded one that worked well enough until it got stuck after a week of downpour (tall grass) and i had to buy a gas mower that day.

i have almost all ryobi stuff and this weekend i saw how just having one battery can fail you i was using my 40v to hedge the bush then do some edging and it died (apparently hedging uses tons of power), so yea it wasn't bad i just decided to mow while the battery charged (i like to edge first), but def need 2 batteries no matter which brand you get.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bought a gas mower the next year and it’s been running ever since with no problems. Craftsman with a Briggs Stratton engine. All I’ve done in 13 years is adding oil, changed the air filter a couple times. Replaced the back wheels at like ~$15 each when the plastic gears broke.

Honda small engines deserve their reputation but we have a lot of small engines around the place, some Honda and some Briggs and Stratton and the B&S are just as reliable as the Hondas. We have a generator with a B&S engine and we use it about every other year and it sits out in a dirty, unheated shop and that sucker starts in 3 pulls or less every time. 13 years old now too.

They can all get clogged carburetor jets from time to time, especially if you let fuel sit in them for a long time, but if you can clean that out and make sure it has oil and change the air filter once in a while, they just work.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah usually faulty small motors can 99% be blamed on bad gas that's been sitting too long. IF you do reg maintenance of course. You can really tell in equipment you just use a few times a season, or shit like a snow blower which only gets use 2-3 months a year.

All modern gas has some alcohol in it which attracts moisture over time. Some even leave a greenish sludge like residue if left too long. And most gas if left too long will simply turn to varnish over time. In fact one of my rich neighbors up north MI cabin has special gas delivered to him for all his snowmobiles and golf carts, side by sides etc which has no additives in it. He has a literal gas pump set up by his garage lol.

Best thing to do is to get an inline valve for gas shutoff and burn away all the gas left in line and float, or use a gas additive meant for long storage.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah usually faulty small motors can 99% be blamed on bad gas that's been sitting too long. IF you do reg maintenance of course. You can really tell in equipment you just use a few times a season, or shit like a snow blower which only gets use 2-3 months a year.

All modern gas has some alcohol in it which attracts moisture over time. Some even leave a greenish sludge like residue if left too long. And most gas if left too long will simply turn to varnish over time. In fact one of my rich neighbors up north MI cabin has special gas delivered to him for all his snowmobiles and golf carts, side by sides etc which has no additives in it. He has a literal gas pump set up by his garage lol.

Best thing to do is to get an inline valve for gas shutoff and burn away all the gas left in line and float, or use a gas additive meant for long storage.
It's ethanol. It is the bane of cheap rubber and plastic anything involving fuel lines. You can add fuel stabilizer which adds 6 months of life to gas, but you better use it pretty quickly after that.

The green sludge is brass carb fittings reacting with aluminum in the presence of ethanol. It plugs up ALL the holes pretty well. All of the replaceable stuff in a carb is brass.

Your "rich" neighbors are getting farm fuel which has everything in it that pumps gas has except...ethanol and tax. It usually has a dye added to it. It is cheaper than normal gas because it has no ethanol subsidy attached to it and the previously mentioned road vehicle tax. The dye is added so people won't run it in their highway trucks.

Modern pump gas has a lot of really weird shit in it to counteract ethanol destruction of fuel delivery and storage systems. It is NOT pleasant stuff to smell, it reduces the MPG of an engine by a measurable amount...as well as power.

They tried to cloak it as a green initiative, but really, it is a massive subsidy to the inbreds who grow corn for a living. Corn sugar that has turned our nation's children into breathless, waddling diabetics who need bypass surgery before they are 20.

The same corn that gets turned into ethanol in a shockingly destructive manner to the environment so our cars can produce less power, get less MPG and be lots worse for the environment in the process.

I, for one, can't wait for more progress of this nature!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
any have any experience with encapsulating a crawl space?

i'm pretty sure i'll be getting this
1aa6ab600e8eb8bc9f332c0ced3313be.png

and i want it to connect to a smart thermo, it seems like i can with the newer ecobee
17dd6356b96c6ad462cb2b3cfb54c245.png

(it has accessory control)

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Anyone have experience with mini-split air conditioners? My house doesn't have forced air ducts and I don't want to put them in but I would like something better than window AC units that plug up the windows all summer.

white-mrcool-diy-mini-splits-diy12-hp-115b25-64_1000.jpg

These MRCOOL DIY units seem to get good reviews and can be installed by the homeowner which is a big plus for me since I can't get contractors to come to my house without raping me. Any thoughts?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have experience with mini-split air conditioners? My house doesn't have forced air ducts and I don't want to put them in but I would like something better than window AC units that plug up the windows all summer.

These MRCOOL DIY units seem to get good reviews and can be installed by the homeowner which is a big plus for me since I can't get contractors to come to my house without raping me. Any thoughts?
I think you and Mist Mist should do some joint research on this.

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
i played around w/ new ryobi at home depot. i'm very leery about electric, i had a corded one that worked well enough until it got stuck after a week of downpour (tall grass) and i had to buy a gas mower that day.

i have almost all ryobi stuff and this weekend i saw how just having one battery can fail you i was using my 40v to hedge the bush then do some edging and it died (apparently hedging uses tons of power), so yea it wasn't bad i just decided to mow while the battery charged (i like to edge first), but def need 2 batteries no matter which brand you get.

I bought Ryobi Cordless mower last month. Falstaff Falstaff

I have been impressed with my Ryobi drill and air compressor so settled for the lawn mower when my #1 chouce (Sthil) could not be sourced for 3 more months.

I am impressed and can do my 0.54 acre yard and it still says 50% charge. Its not acurate as i can only do my yard 1.5 times in a single charge, but that is better then the claimed 0.5 acres per charge. - I do have a pool and a gravel portion which reduces my lawn size but still i am impressed with it. Also has a very fast charge that shuts off automatically.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I have been impressed with my Ryobi drill and air compressor so settled for the lawn mower when my #1 chouce (Sthil) could not be sourced for 3 more months.

I am impressed and can do my 0.54 acre yard and it still says 50% charge. Its not acurate as i can only do my yard 1.5 times in a single charge, but that is better then the claimed 0.5 acres per charge. - I do have a pool and a gravel portion which reduces my lawn size but still i am impressed with it. Also has a very fast charge that shuts off automatically.
did you get the newest cross cut or single blade?

when you say air compressor, do you mean this wimpy 1gallon air compressor?
c8d01c978e5439686c9d81fa1ee2b9a7.png

not even making fun, cuz i have the same one and i use it for blowing out my sprinklers and air inflator for tires

Nester

Vyemm Raider
did you get the newest cross cut or single blade?

when you say air compressor, do you mean this wimpy 1gallon air compressor?
c8d01c978e5439686c9d81fa1ee2b9a7.png

not even making fun, cuz i have the same one and i use it for blowing out my sprinklers and air inflator for tires

NO, But I wish I had! I want that (for my sprinklers now) is it any good?

is what i was refering to. $35 in Canada but has no battery, My drill battery worked of course. - i should not have called it a compressor
My dad got one and brought it over. It inflated my truck tire in a heart beat. I was impressed and got one the next day.

For the mower i got the single blade 7.5amp push, they did not have the cross cut in stock at my HD and i had already delayed my purchased a few months waiting on the Sthil that never showed up. Was sick of my corded black and decker i had used for 10 years. My lawn was a lot smaller when i purchased the cord model.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Well you need to know how much acreage you’re actually mowing to say their claim is wrong (even though it’s in their favor). I was on a half acre but my pool, patio, pool shed, and gravel took up 80% of my yard. It only took me 20 minutes to do front and back so I was probably only mowing .2 acre.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
NO, But I wish I had! I want that (for my sprinklers now) is it any good?

is what i was refering to. $35 in Canada but has no battery, My drill battery worked of course. - i should not have called it a compressor
My dad got one and brought it over. It inflated my truck tire in a heart beat. I was impressed and got one the next day.

For the mower i got the single blade 7.5amp push, they did not have the cross cut in stock at my HD and i had already delayed my purchased a few months waiting on the Sthil that never showed up. Was sick of my corded black and decker i had used for 10 years. My lawn was a lot smaller when i purchased the cord model.
ah, you just have an air inflator i have one too
6d338b38fbab7b93a168f372118d1f9d.png

i wanted this model, b/c it has memory and it will stop the inflation at 33psi or whatever, instead of just sitting there and monitoring.

but i don't even use it anymore b/c the air compressor really kicks out air, it can fill up like 3 psi in like 5seconds.

but yea it works fine for the sprinklers, since it's 1gallon tho i have to wait for it cycle to kick all the water out in my backyard zone (longest runs)

i haven't seen replacement blades for the ryobi crosscut yet, imo you could just buy the ego dual blades
525a71f0a0d90bec57d0ab6717a7128a.png

and you might have to drill a bit here and there to make it fit, i remember when i played w/ the mower at home depot i flipped it over and the slade slots were a half cresent moon.

but i currently use these blades in my gas mower and it's my favorite blade set so far.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Well you need to know how much acreage you’re actually mowing to say their claim is wrong (even though it’s in their favor). I was on a half acre but my pool, patio, pool shed, and gravel took up 80% of my yard. It only took me 20 minutes to do front and back so I was probably only mowing .2 acre.

Fair enough,
I was 34 min when i timed it and i had to chase the dog for some of that.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Do it. You won't regret it. In one of the places I work everything is air conditioned with these. Everyone gets to set their own temperature, and they're quiet and efficient. Just be careful where you put the outdoor part. You don't want to sit and listen to it on your deck.

• 1Like

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>
Do it. You won't regret it. In one of the places I work everything is air conditioned with these. Everyone gets to set their own temperature, and they're quiet and efficient. Just be careful where you put the outdoor part. You don't want to sit and listen to it on your deck.
The other thing to know is if you don't have a licensed AC person finish the install it voids the warranty. I said screw it and installed it myself... but be aware.

• 1WTF

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The other thing to know is if you don't have a licensed AC person finish the install it voids the warranty. I said screw it and installed it myself... but be aware.

Did you use the MRCOOL DIY model? My understanding is that it's intended to be installed yourself. The downside is that you can only have 25 foot runs to your room units because everything is pre-connected.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Did you use the MRCOOL DIY model? My understanding is that it's intended to be installed yourself. The downside is that you can only have 25 foot runs to your room units because everything is pre-connected.

That seems shitty. You should be able to run those a lot longer than 25 feet.

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>
I don't know about that model specifically but all the research I did showed you could install it yourself but if you didn't have a licensed ac guy vacuum the lines and release the freon it voided the warranty.

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>
That seems shitty. You should be able to run those a lot longer than 25 feet.
The reason you can only use 25' is because they come pre charged with freon. You can use a longer lineset but you have to add the right amount of freon to compensate for the extra volume of line.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like