Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Second thing that was weird was two GFCIs in a row. Was the 'spare' a used one? I'm guessing it was, and just had the same random issue.
i replaced the old gfi (that came with house) with a ge gfci, where the top was wonked. (gfci 1)

so i replaced that ge gfci (gfci 1) with another ge gfci, (gfci 2) that i just opened today, b/c it was in that impossible to open plastic. why did i have a new in box ge gfci laying around? b/c i bought 3 like years ago (and yes i still have another new one in plastic)

so thinking ge, must be shit i just hoped over to menards and picked up the first black 20amp gfci i saw

the legrand actually looked cheaper, it didn't have those "holes" you stick the wire in, i had to use the old fashioned way of using around the screw.
979a17a87667ddab534479da512dad46.png

but fuck it, it worked.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I don't like the quick-connect 'stabs'. They're shit, IMHO.

I can't even imagine how many wire loops I did for the screw connectors

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have thoughts on thermostats? I went from having like the first digital one ever created in the 90s to a Nest (which I know is 10 years old tech at this point). Anyways I think the Nest is SUPER COOL but we the company we use came out and look at our A/Cs in our new house and he talked shit about how horrible Nest is and they replace them all the time in customers homes. He recommended the ecobee.

I want to replace my downstairs thermostat to match so... I either get another Nest or two ecobee's. Or I just get a basic digital one because fuck invasive technology.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Anyone have thoughts on thermostats? I went from having like the first digital one ever created in the 90s to a Nest (which I know is 10 years old tech at this point). Anyways I think the Nest is SUPER COOL but we the company we use came out and look at our A/Cs in our new house and he talked shit about how horrible Nest is and they replace them all the time in customers homes. He recommended the ecobee.

I want to replace my downstairs thermostat to match so... I either get another Nest or two ecobee's. Or I just get a basic digital one because fuck invasive technology.

I have a Nest at home and am very happy with it. No complaints at all.

An alternative is the Emerson Sensi thermostats. I have them in all the rental properties I have. I can pair all the thermostats and make schedules that control them all. They're not expensive, and they're pretty great.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Electricians don't use the quick connects. They always wrap the wire around the screws. Source: My brother is an electrician.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a Nest at home and am very happy with it. No complaints at all.

An alternative is the Emerson Sensi thermostats. I have them in all the rental properties I have. I can pair all the thermostats and make schedules that control them all. They're not expensive, and they're pretty great.
i have the sensi and it's been great, works well with alexa no problem, when i move i plan to get another one cuz i'm used to it, and like lurkingdirk lurkingdirk said it's cheap but also looks "modern" (i'll get the full touch screen model this time)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Electricians don't use the quick connects. They always wrap the wire around the screws. Source: My brother is an electrician.
New home builders are the only people that use those shitty things. Everything as fast as possible is their MO.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks, I'll check out the Sensi. Their touch version is the same price as the ecobee I was looking at.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
All my 1st Gen Nests are staying behind in the house but have all worked great since day one. The Nest Protect smoke detectors I won’t be buying again. Both freaked out and went crazy going off. One finally settled down and then “expired” because the what’s it called sensor in it was only good for X years. Not sure I’m down for those again.

Fucker

Log Wizard
one thing to note, the ecobee can monitor separate rooms, so it's "smarter"
Sensors sold separately. I had an Ecobee but quit using it. It became a brick when their servers went down, which was often enough for me to stop using it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sensors sold separately. I had an Ecobee but quit using it. It became a brick when their servers went down, which was often enough for me to stop using it.
Oh ecobee "call home"? Fuck that sensi all the way then

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the problem with our Nest is that it runs on the battery since we don't have a power cable to connect it to in the wall... honestly I have no idea, it came with the house, I was working and my wife was home talking to the A/C guy and we just moved in a week ago.

I guess the battery died while he was here working on one of our A/Cs, so it shuts down until it can re-charge, or we can pull it off the wall and plug it into a usb cord... this is when/why he started bitching about how Nest sucks, etc. When it finally recharged it had been trying to get our A/C to turn on and somehow it overheated it and it wasn't working, so the guy had to come back to our house and complain some more about how the Nest caused this while he hosed down the A/C.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wait, what? Are you saying that you have no power available to the thermostat or that your version of Nest is battery only and has no terminal for power? That sounds odd but I’ve only done 4-6 of them for friends and family.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The latter; it's apparently battery only and we have no terminal for power where these people put it.

• 1WTF

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The latter; it's apparently battery only and we have no terminal for power where these people put it.
I’ve never heard of that, that’s fucked up. Is there dedicated wiring anywhere for a thermostat? How old is this house?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Older houses don't have the extra wiring needed for smart thermostats, I had to run my own wire for my ecobee