Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If you’re replacing everything anyways you may want to check into a few of these. You set up your time zone on it and can put timers into it. There’s a “dusk til dawn” setting so any outdoor lights you want to turn on at sunset and off at sunrise this thing is perfect for it. It adjusts the sunset and sunrise down to the minute for your time zone. I use it for my front porch light at night. Set it 4 years ago and haven’t touched it since, works great.

Leviton VPT24-1PZ Vizia 24-Hour Programmable Indoor Timer with Astronomical Clock
yea i was gonna get that for the new house, i have the old light sensor kind adapter you screw into the lightbulb for the garage porch lights
87ce5525b24823d39e4f1076379cc203.png

the annoying thing is it'll only work at night and it has to be flicked on all the time, so i had to tape the switch shut so guests don't try to flick it on/off when they want to put on their shoes at the foyer

Arative

Vyemm Raider
You can’t get two screws in a single stud? Like vertically? That’s all you need. My laundry cabinet has one screw in top of the cabinet and one in bottom, on the same stud. Friend of mine did the same.
Yeah I can get two screws in vertically. I was thinking horizontal. Thanks

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yea i was gonna get that for the new house, i have the old light sensor kind adapter you screw into the lightbulb for the garage porch lights
87ce5525b24823d39e4f1076379cc203.png

the annoying thing is it'll only work at night and it has to be flicked on all the time, so i had to tape the switch shut so guests don't try to flick it on/off when they want to put on their shoes at the foyer
Those suck. Get the switch, it doesn’t use light input at all, strictly timer based on time zone and sunset/sunrise times. It’s either fully on or fully off. The light sensor stuff causes so many bulbs to shit out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Those suck. Get the switch, it doesn’t use light input at all, strictly timer based on time zone and sunset/sunrise times. It’s either fully on or fully off. The light sensor stuff causes so many bulbs to shit out.
thats what i was saying, for the new house i'm getting that switch, or just put smart switch, but i hate the whites

Last edited:

Vinen

God is dead
I changed my first Light Switch. Didn't kill myself sadly. Am proud. Now onto electric boxes that I want to swap to have USB slots.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I changed my first Light Switch. Didn't kill myself sadly. Am proud. Now onto electric boxes that I want to swap to have USB slots.
when i had my weird ass gfci issues, i searched and at the time only legrand had gfci and usb, if you wanted to replace a gfci, might as well be usb
98210348f46b32ca8c8337cb25efe7aa.png

since most ppl charge their phones at the kitchen nowadays

Chris

Potato del Grande
How the fuck do you remove tree stumps?

Just got my first house.

There is a bus stop on the other side of the garden fence, the fence is tall enough to block out people but not double decker buses.

6 christmas tree looking things were planted by the previous owner to block the view from the bus. Between 6ft and 12ft.

One was already gone when I moved in, the others were either too wide encroaching on the garden, too short and/or rotten on the inside. They hadn't been looked after.

My plan was to replace them with bamboo so I don't need to wait a decade for new trees to grow.

So today I cut them all down but the stumps are way more solid than I expected, largest one is about 6 inches diameter maybe a little more. I have some poison but not sure what it does.

Any tips on which tools to use to excavate the stumps from some pretty solid soil, or anythig else I can do? There's no car access so no dragging then out.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Just got my first house.

There is a bus stop on the other side of the garden fence, the fence is tall enough to block out people but not double decker buses.

6 christmas tree looking things were planted by the previous owner to block the view from the bus. Between 6ft and 12ft.

One was already gone when I moved in, the others were either too wide encroaching on the garden, too short and/or rotten on the inside. They hadn't been looked after.

My plan was to replace them with bamboo so I don't need to wait a decade for new trees to grow.

So today I cut them all down but the stumps are way more solid than I expected, largest one is about 6 inches diameter maybe a little more. I have some poison but not sure what it does.

Any tips on which tools to use to excavate the stumps from some pretty solid soil, or anythig else I can do? There's no car access so no dragging then out.
It is always best to formulate a plan BEFORE the project starts.

"Christmas tree looking things"

This guy is a teacher, folks.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It is always best to formulate a plan BEFORE the project starts.

"Christmas tree looking things"

This guy is a teacher, folks.
I had a plan, the tree stumps were tougher than I thought!

I'm a math teacher not biology by the way, what are you, some sort of tree nerd? :)

Anyway some advice would be really appreciated.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dig around the roots, cut the roots with a reciprocating saw or chain saw, pull stump out. Pine tree roots run more horizontally, they don't go very deep.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
when i had my weird ass gfci issues, i searched and at the time only legrand had gfci and usb, if you wanted to replace a gfci, might as well be usb
98210348f46b32ca8c8337cb25efe7aa.png

since most ppl charge their phones at the kitchen nowadays
LOL speaking of GFCI and issues. I have a plug outside that I converted to GFCI with a steel waterproof box for my pool. Anyway one day my fucking bedroom and master bath lights stopped working. For the life of me I could not figure it out. Then we went swimming like the next day and tuned on the filter and noticed the GFCI was tripped. So I reset it and holy shit, my bedroom is working again.

So when this house was built in 1971 they had shit codes compared to today and wired the outside plug inline with my bedroom. So I had to bypass the line in the outdoor box to isolate the GFCI and it solved the problem.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had a plan, the tree stumps were tougher than I thought!

I'm a math teacher not biology by the way, what are you, some sort of tree nerd? :)

Anyway some advice would be really appreciated.
Do what Fogel said. I bought a giant pry bar for mine that helped for a couple but isn't really needed. Just dig around the roots, cut the roots out in sections (if they are big enough that they are interfering with digging), and loosen the stump bit by bit. I've heard that some people just grind them down or use some kind of acid to eat them away, but that just sounds like wasting time to me.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
We had a giant silver maple that needed to come down since it was encroaching on our septic tank. For an extra ~$300, the tree removal company ground down about a half dozen extra stumps on my property, including the silver maple.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Most landscaping companies offer tree stump removal services. I had one come out and take out 3-4 large stumps for like $250. They have large grinding tools that dig like a foot underneath the soil and grind up the roots that are at surface level or a bit below.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Just got my first house.

If you didn't cut them too short you do what I do.

Dig around them. Wrap a chain around them and under some roots etc. Hook to your truck hitch. Gun it.

I prefer to pull out as much of them as i can vs the grind and bury method.