Home Improvement

Falstaff

Vyemm Raider
54d 21h 36m
i basically have this in my soon to be new garage
95c536740fc05d6bd52316028f2529d3.png

this takes up a garage slot, and weighs more than my civic.

i knew this going in, this was my second choice house but market is so crazy, just get what you can...

i called 2 storm shelter companies, they don't really take them apart but if i wanted it'd be 6k which is basically what this cost.

so...

i'm gonna wire my garage for 240, so i can buy a plasma cutter and chip away at this thing 100lbs at a time.

thoughts?
This looks like a breast feeding pod that they have at union station in Chicago.

1623769515995.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
125d 23h 1m
Yeah, it was easy, I have PEX though. Just buy shark bite fittings, run lines to it, install an inline bypass. Also put a whole house filter on it. I fucked up and bought the wrong fittings because it was all my local place had but they were easy enough to find online and replace. PEX is just so easy to work with changes like that don’t take much work. All together I spent ~$650 compared to the $2k contractors wanted for it.
YEah last time I installed a hot water heater shark bite made a 3+ hour job into like a hour. (3+ hours because my sweating pipe skills lack) EZ PZ

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's pretty weird that they put it in in the first place. Do they have a lot of tornadoes in Nashville or something? I don't really think of that as a natural disaster type of place. Having a bomb/tornado shelter buried in the yard seems like a much better option than giving up half your garage.

$6K to remove it is retarded though.
The middle of TN is the worst for tornados so it isn’t an unreasonable thing to buy if you’re scared of them I guess. They have had some really bad years in the past. The odds of getting hit by one are really low but 🤷‍♂️

If I was going to do that I’d have one of the buried versions, not in my garage.

Lanx

Dark Yellow White Passing Supremacist
<Prior Amod>
Anyone here ever install whole-home water softeners? I'm getting a bunch of mineralization in the bottoms of my toilets, and a significant amount of scale on my pool tiles that I suspect is because of this hard Edmond water. I see I can buy a water softener for like $1k to cover my home but hoping to install myself. Any experience here?
maybe try a whole house filter first?

this video is about installing a 20in filter, and uses 4.5x20 cartridges

tbh thats kinda huge, i'm more used to seeing 10in filters that use 4.5x10 cartridges in the youtubes, but i could see a purpose, changing the filter less, more "volume" for no pressure drop.

this is the best install i've seen especially with included gauges on both sides to see when filter changing is necessary.

if youre worried about pressure, you can go as low as 5 micron and not notice any pressure drop

1 micro btw is usually for ro systems, and even then they mostly use 5 micro for cost savings.

this is one of the more immediate projects i'll be doing once i move in, i'm gonna cobble my own ro system (i've had one for a few years, and frankensteining a better performing system doesn't seem hard), so you can ask me questions on micro size, pressure, etc for this.

but i know nothing about water softeners

• 1Like
Reactions: Springbok

Lanx

Dark Yellow White Passing Supremacist
<Prior Amod>
The middle of TN is the worst for tornados so it isn’t an unreasonable thing to buy if you’re scared of them I guess. They have had some really bad years in the past. The odds of getting hit by one are really low but 🤷‍♂️

If I was going to do that I’d have one of the buried versions, not in my garage.

yea like i said elsewhere, my realtor says he's never seen a storm safe before, and when we looked at houses, we saw 2 properties with it.

i got more info from the realtor and the current owner is a former cop and i guess he built the storm safe for the cul de sac

he's even registered it

fuck that, my neighbors can fly to oz for all i care, i'm the guy thats actually coming in from kansas anyway, if i'm not worried about tornados, no one else should be either, i paid for a 2car garage, i want a two car garage.