Home Improvement

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I can't say without being there. The permit folks will likely have a list of approved structural builders, that might be a place to start.
Thanks. What is your preferred airline for me to book the ticket?

jk. I’ll have to actually talk to the county it seems.

Just booked my insulation being redone so that’s next.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Making some progress on bookshelves in the basement.

471B5F9F-2306-4C1B-8372-321EF916B7FA.jpeg
D35F5EA0-4266-480D-ACCA-0C8A29560EDE.jpeg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Those look great. Nice job on the face framing. What did you paint them with?
Paint.

The face isn’t painted yet, it’s still just the primer they came in. We will go over them again with white paint. I finished the trim, didn’t realize I forgot to post the last update. Just needs painted then it’s done.

The bookshelves themselves were free. A friend of my demoed an office and they were going to toss five of them, so I took them all. They’re 3/4” plywood, solid as hell. Had them for 2-3 years in the unfinished basement unsure if I’d ever use them. Glad I kept them, they turned out nice. Entire section there cost me $135 in trim.

F9C225EF-4706-4A4E-8B00-51191DD17BE2.jpeg

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
And here is a full view of the overall basement progress. Forget if I posted the TV yet. I made the panels behind it with 1/4” plywood. Just cut it into strips and painted it. I made the long table with the scrap from one of the barn doors.

12424C70-EC1D-41B1-A5DB-97BF2446B3D5.jpeg
0FB6A3B2-BFEA-40A1-9524-74A50836D273.jpeg

• 11Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 11 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks. The main driver for doing the stuff myself is cost. We had the basement finishers quote things just to see if it was worth us doing or just have them do it.

Barn doors: Quote $2400, Doing myself $400 ( plus added bonus of scrap for that big end table)

Shelves: Quote $900 since we already had them, Doing myself $135 in trim

Kitchen countertop, cabinets, sink, fridge: Quote $9600, Doing myself, $1300. Not pictured yet because we’re currently working on that. Painted the cabinets yesterday, should have it done in the next week or so.

So we spent ~$1900 to do what would have cost ~$13,000. The work takes patience but isn’t difficult.

We’ve also always done this. All of our wooden furniture is goodwill shit we just sand down and repaint. So we have $30 dressers instead of $500, $5 end tables, etc. It also feels nice to say “We did this” instead of “We bought this”. Nice to have our own personal touches to shit instead of store bought that hundreds of other people have.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's the cost in time investment? For example, I've been considering paying someone to mow my 1.75 acres because I want the time back and I'm tired of maintaining a mower that likes to break.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
What's the cost in time investment? For example, I've been considering paying someone to mow my 1.75 acres because I want the time back and I'm tired of maintaining a mower that likes to break.
When I was mowing this past weekend, I was day dreaming about having a job mowing like the the Cajun dude in True Detective. You wanna give up that weekly meditation?!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I post on FoH, I don't want to be alone with my thoughts.

Shower is usually my meditation time. I find if I space out while mowing I run over a root or something.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
And here is a full view of the overall basement progress. Forget if I posted the TV yet. I made the panels behind it with 1/4” plywood. Just cut it into strips and painted it. I made the long table with the scrap from one of the barn doors.

View attachment 372523View attachment 372524

Thanks. The main driver for doing the stuff myself is cost. We had the basement finishers quote things just to see if it was worth us doing or just have them do it.

Barn doors: Quote $2400, Doing myself $400 ( plus added bonus of scrap for that big end table)

Kitchen countertop, cabinets, sink, fridge: Quote $9600, Doing myself, $1300. Not pictured yet because we’re currently working on that. Painted the cabinets yesterday, should have it done in the next week or so.

So we spent ~$1900 to do what would have cost ~$13,000. The work takes patience but isn’t difficult.

We’ve also always done this. All of our wooden furniture is goodwill shit we just sand down and repaint. So we have $30 dressers instead of $500, $5 end tables, etc. It also feels nice to say “We did this” instead of “We bought this”. Nice to have our own personal touches to shit instead of store bought that hundreds of other people have.

Awesome man

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hmm, idk.

I think the doors maybe took me 10-12 hours. Buy the lumber, cut the lumber, assemble, paint, hang it. Hanging took the longest due to a design flaw in the hardware and modifying the holes to line up with my studs and getting it perfectly level so the doors don’t roll at all while at rest.

Planks on the wall maybe 2-3 hours. Cut two sheets into 11” sections, Painted, nailed to the wall.

Bookshelves 6-8 hours. Painted them with a sprayer. Added boards to the back side for anchoring to the wall. Made some “boxes” to mount to the top for anchoring plus a place to nail the top trim pieces to. Cut and assembled trim. Final painting.

End table took 5 minutes. Just screwed the scrap wood to the metal rails. Scrap just happened to be the perfect size already.

So ~25 hours to cut the cost by $11k. Even if it was triple that I’d be happy with the time investment.

• 1Truth!

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Curious to see how much time each project took you next to those cost comparisons. My biggest trade off in making these decisions is time. I’d always always prefer to do anything myself but if it’s a huge time sink it doesn’t make sense.

Looks great tho! Only person who’s gonna do the best work is usually yourself!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When I was mowing this past weekend, I was day dreaming about having a job mowing like the the Cajun dude in True Detective. You wanna give up that weekly meditation?!
i woke up at 5 to put down seed and fertilzer cuz its supposed to rain today

i'm filling in a lot of patches nicely, the important thing is there are no more weeds on my lawn.

its such a contrast when my lawn is getting to be just lawn and the neighbor i share the lawn with is like 10 kinds of weeds

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
finally got around to taking pics of my well. It’s probably from around 1960. Anyone able to tell me what I got here? I do know that it was used to water some 5 acres or so of the property (hence the piping heading through the wall to outdoors). Worth having someone look into fixing it? (You can see where I had the water heater etc put in last year for the house.) BrutulTM BrutulTM or anyone?

4C5BE9C7-4156-43B4-B119-98827829FF7A.jpeg
8BCE1C61-7596-4497-A90F-4FB6AA2F9E22.jpeg
60A7A630-08BF-4F11-A6A2-C1AD3AD38668.jpeg
61A8CF43-A8EA-4D70-8801-EFB22965AC6C.jpeg

Also I found this under my back deck….. My septic tank is in the front of the house and I know the house plumbing goes to it. Wtf could this be? I have another bathroom in this shed where the well/pump/water heater is and was never able to figure out where it went to - definitely didn’t go to septic tank in front yard. Thought they may have drained it down to the river by in the 60s.

thoughts? Haven’t opened it.

E291547A-9245-4966-93C2-D899AC01B712.jpeg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
finally got around to taking pics of my well. It’s probably from around 1960. Anyone able to tell me what I got here? I do know that it was used to water some 5 acres or so of the property (hence the piping heading through the wall to outdoors). Worth having someone look into fixing it? (You can see where I had the water heater etc put in last year for the house.) BrutulTM BrutulTM or anyone?

View attachment 372620View attachment 372621View attachment 372622View attachment 372623

Also I found this under my back deck….. My septic tank is in the front of the house and I know the house plumbing goes to it. Wtf could this be? I have another bathroom in this shed where the well/pump/water heater is and was never able to figure out where it went to - definitely didn’t go to septic tank in front yard. Thought they may have drained it down to the river by in the 60s.

View attachment 372624
Based on what you’re saying about irrigation on the 5 acres, it’s probably a water shutoff to the sprinklers or whatever.

Edit: and after zooming in, I see the lid has letters. W at the front and R at the back. I’m much more certain about it being shut off valves or some kind of maintenance access for the irrigation.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Curious to see how much time each project took you next to those cost comparisons. My biggest trade off in making these decisions is time. I’d always always prefer to do anything myself but if it’s a huge time sink it doesn’t make sense.

Looks great tho! Only person who’s gonna do the best work is usually yourself!
The time investment is one post above yours.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

View attachment 372620View attachment 372621View attachment 372622View attachment 372623

View attachment 372624

If the pump is that old, too, it might need replacing, though it could also possibly be rebuilt. New pumps aren't that much, the bigger cost will be getting a plumber to fit it to the existing plumbing. Additionally, you'll want to pressure test that pressure tank before filling it with water. Is it worth it? If you want to water a portion of your property, it sure is. The other thing to remember is that after this long being unused the sprinkler heads are probably buried and/or seized. Running new pipes to whatever area you want to water isn't a big deal, especially if you get a trencher.