Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It looks like the power is disconnected from it. That might be all it would take to get it going again. Those shallow well jet pumps are like $150-$300 depending on how big you need but they're not much. That type of pump can usually only pump about 25 feet max so your well is not deep.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Based on what you’re saying about irrigation on the 5 acres, it’s probably a water shutoff to the sprinklers or whatever.

Edit: and after zooming in, I see the lid has letters. W at the front and R at the back. I’m much more certain about it being shut off valves or some kind of maintenance access for the irrigation.

If the pump is that old, too, it might need replacing, though it could also possibly be rebuilt. New pumps aren't that much, the bigger cost will be getting a plumber to fit it to the existing plumbing. Additionally, you'll want to pressure test that pressure tank before filling it with water. Is it worth it? If you want to water a portion of your property, it sure is. The other thing to remember is that after this long being unused the sprinkler heads are probably buried and/or seized. Running new pipes to whatever area you want to water isn't a big deal, especially if you get a trencher.

It looks like the power is disconnected from it. That might be all it would take to get it going again. Those shallow well jet pumps are like $150-$300 depending on how big you need but they're not much. That type of pump can usually only pump about 25 feet max so your well is not deep.

Thank you for responses. The well is 70 yards from my river so I’d guess it’s probably not that deep?

lurkingdirk lurkingdirk sprinkler system is ruined. It’s all old iron with metal heads that come about 6 feet out of the ground. I’ve had construction/maintenance accidentally run or dig up portions, trees fallen on heads, etc. it would need a full overhaul and I don’t need sprinklers at this time.

My primary goal at this time would be to make it functional as backup drinking water in case of an emergency. I’d obviously need a filtration system? Any idea on cosrs

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Thank you for responses. The well is 70 yards from my river so I’d guess it’s probably not that deep?

lurkingdirk lurkingdirk sprinkler system is ruined. It’s all old iron with metal heads that come about 6 feet out of the ground. I’ve had construction/maintenance accidentally run or dig up portions, trees fallen on heads, etc. it would need a full overhaul and I don’t need sprinklers at this time.

My primary goal at this time would be to make it functional as backup drinking water in case of an emergency. I’d obviously need a filtration system? Any idea on cosrs
I don't know about all of Florida, but around me, wells are quite shallow. I treat my water with chlorine and filter it to get the tannins out (they're harmless, health-wise, but stain everything that can be stained).

I wouldn't say you *need* a filtration system, especially if it's a backup. The specialized nozzles used for well pumps do a pretty good job of keeping the vast majority of sediment from being picked up. If your concern is whether the water is drinkable or not, it almost certainly would be. I'm not an expert, but when I bought this house (with a shallow well) I was told there was a specific kind of bacteria present in my water that is commonly found in well water. However, the bacteria is not a concern for anyone but the extremely young, extremely old, or immunocompromised. I treat with chlorine pretty much solely to get rid of the tannins. To my knowledge, none of my four neighbors treat their water and we're definitely pulling from the same water source.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Get some water out of there and have it tested and that will tell you whether you want to drink it or not. I wouldn't go crazy on a filtration system for something that's just for emergencies. You can always get something to filter drinking water and just use the regular well water for showering and toilets.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

sprinkler heads are cheap to replace, it's just about finding them that is the issue

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just buy life straws. Filtering it all the time for use in emergencies only is kind of a waste. The life straws are cheap and for emergencies.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
sprinkler heads are cheap to replace, it's just about finding them that is the issue
lol dude it’s like 5 acres of ALL iron pipes some places have been hit by machinery and torn. It’s like 60 years old. Hard pass. Lol

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Not really home improvement but since we're talking about wells I just drilled one and it was one of the more stressful experiences I've had (spoilered for length).

I did it with a grant from the Natural Resource Conservation Service. They pay 75% but in the case of a well you don't know what it's going to cost so their geologists just estimate what they think the well will cost and they pay 75% of that and if it's more than that you're on your own but if it's less you can actually get it for free. Their cost share came out to about $14,000. About 300 yards from where we were drilling a neighboring property has a well that is 255 feet deep so I'm hoping we can hit that same water. At $50 a foot that's $12,750 so hey, free well.

The well driller came out and started. At about 100 feet they hit water and say it's about 4 gallons per minute. We are hoping for 11 but we can probably make it work with 8 or 9. Not 4 though so keep going. I tell him about the well over the fence and he says "W'e'll hope for that". Our neighbor came by and so we're sitting there bullshitting and watching them put joint after joint down the hole. After a while I go ask how it's going and he says "We're at 480 feet and nothing yet". So much for the free well. After a couple more hours they say they're at 580 feet and there's water there but it's pumping as much sand as water so he needs a different machine to keep going deeper. They're going to call it a day and he's going to research wells in the area to see where we might hit water. Now we're at $29k and counting.

Did I mention that we're in the middle of the worst drought in 30 years and hay prices (which is our biggest annual expense) have quadrupled? Not the year to be spending a lot of money on other things.

Later that night the driller calls me and says a lot of wells in the area are 900-1000 feet deep and they are 200 feet lower in elevation that where we're drilling so we could easily be looking at 1200 feet or more. Then he tells me that they can deal with the sand by drilling the hole out bigger and then packing gravel around the outside of the well casing to filter out the sand. He said it's hard to tell but he thought we might get 9 gpm out of that. "No guarantees, but I'm 90% sure I can make a well out of it that way." The price will go up to $55 a foot though. In the morning I called the NRCS engineers and they thought it was a reasonable thing to try so we go ahead with the gravel pack. This is Friday and it takes them all day to drill out the well and get the casing in. I went by there about 7pm and they were just starting to put in the gravel pack. They said it would definitely be Monday before they could tell me what we had. Now it's at $32,000 which is not a disaster but much worse than what I was hoping and we don't know if it's going to be enough water or not.

I worry about it all weekend and then on Sunday night the driller calls me and says "Hey we did an air test on that well before we left on Friday and it didn't look like it was going to make much water. We won't know for sure until we can do a better test on Monday but I want you to think about what you're going to do if it doesn't work." He said the options were to try again in another place (where there would also be no guarantees) or go to 1400 feet. BTW if you go to 1400 feet it's hard to drill that deep so the price goes up to $100 a foot. Also he said that having a well that deep is not desirable. The electric bills will be through the roof and the pumps will be expensive and burn out often. Also having them come out and pull 800+ feet of pipe every time you need a new pump won't be cheap. Also the water might come out hot from being so far down which is not a good thing for cattle. $140K for a bad well is not appealing. In the mean time we had also talked to a neighbor 5 miles north of us who recently drilled a 1200 foot well and it cost $100K so it's not an unrealistic possibility. On the other hand, the NRCS doesn't cost share dry holes so if we drill elsewhere (and the options are very limited because there aren't a lot of power lines on our place) I'm paying the full $32K for a hole that's going to get filled back in and we still need a well.

Monday morning I was going to Billings with my girlfriend to go to Costco and do some other shopping so my Mom is going to go out and monitor the drilling. At about 10:00 she texted that they were bailing it at 10gpm. Later they did a pump test and it made 12gpm for 24 hours so we had our well. Never been more happy for something that "only" cost $20,000 more than I had hoped for. We have 3 more wells to drill on this project though and I don't know if my heart can take it. Embarking on a project that might cost $5k and might cost $100k is not that enjoyable.

TL/DR - Drilling a well is very nerve wracking.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Get some water out of there and have it tested and that will tell you whether you want to drink it or not. I wouldn't go crazy on a filtration system for something that's just for emergencies. You can always get something to filter drinking water and just use the regular well water for showering and toilets.
Didn’t think to use it for shower/toilet backup. Thanks! Great idea!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Slap a Gucci sticker on the pump for good measure.

Gave up on a good vintage American wood stove. For now.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So my land is technically divided into two lots. I’d like to have the ability to keep farm animals such as chickens on the 8 acre lot that the house isn’t on. It’s currently zoned as planned development. I think I need to have it rezoned as agriculture… Navigating the how is a PITA on county‘s website. I also want to know the implications of rezoning it to ag (can I easily rezone to residential in future? What buildings can I put on it? Etc).

Is there any kind of professional I could hire to do this shit for me? A real estate attorney maybe??

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So my land is technically divided into two lots. I’d like to have the ability to keep farm animals such as chickens on the 8 acre lot that the house isn’t on. It’s currently zoned as planned development. I think I need to have it rezoned as agriculture… Navigating the how is a PITA on county‘s website. I also want to know the implications of rezoning it to ag (can I easily rezone to residential in future? What buildings can I put on it? Etc).

Is there any kind of professional I could hire to do this shit for me? A real estate attorney maybe??
Are you in an HOA or something? Can’t you just put up a coop and say fuck it? I know my town there’s people with chickens and goats right in the middle of town in purely residentially zoned areas. If you are trying to put in a giant farm I’m guessing you’d have problems but a single coop?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Are you in an HOA or something? Can’t you just put up a coop and say fuck it? I know my town there’s people with chickens and goats right in the middle of town in purely residentially zoned areas. If you are trying to put in a giant farm I’m guessing you’d have problems but a single coop?
Nah not in a HOA. There’s a subdivision surrounding my property. They would be able to see animals on my property potentially.

Maybe say fuck it and try? Kinda wanna get a llama too.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nah not in a HOA. There’s a subdivision surrounding my property. They would be able to see animals on my property potentially.

Maybe say fuck it and try? Kinda wanna get a llama too.
Yeah I’d just do it, start small and see if anyone cries about it.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Starting the final major basement project. Hopefully I’ll get it done this weekend.

F7A24E8C-8A10-44D0-A537-4A3106606860.jpeg

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I hate those drawer slides and want to murder the inventor and suppliers of them. It is an irrational hatred but I'm okay with that.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Made some progress today. Still need to do trim on the wall, cabinet hardware, hook up water, shelves. Should be done tomorrow.

6E17F234-D07F-4527-9161-463ADDE1203B.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users