Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I like how a one pack is $118 while a four pack is $832. Great bulk pricing there Amazon.

I see that on Amazon all the time, especially with 3rd party sellers. I think they're hoping you will see the bulk options and just click it without looking at the price.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Foil always goes towards where you want the heat to reflect to. Like inside Colombia jackets.
So, hypothetically, if I were in Florida and want to reflect that nasty heat away from my humble abode, I’d face the foil towards the exterior wall?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So, hypothetically, if I were in Florida and want to reflect that nasty heat away from my humble abode, I’d face the foil towards the exterior wall?
Stick it on the roof to reflect it. Airplanes may not appreciate it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
what in the fuckity fuck?
20211215_165942.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Just looks like my wall when my wife tries to hang a picture by herself.

My wife once tried to hang a lamp in our daughter's room on the ceiling. She kept drilling little holes trying to find the joist. She was about 1/2 inch off, but she was going lengthwise down the joist. She got about 16 inches in and decided to ask for help.

I still remind her of this from time to time.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Guess I will ask this here.

My house is over 125+ years old. My basement looks like Jason and Freddy might be down there hiding out. I REALLY want to do my basement over needless to say, along with my kitchen. I know they say that doing your kitchen and baths makes the value of your home go up. What about the basement? Is it wise to pull money out your home to renovate a basement?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

My house is over 125+ years old. My basement looks like Jason and Freddy might be down there hiding out. I REALLY want to do my basement over needless to say, along with my kitchen. I know they say that doing your kitchen and baths makes the value of your home go up. What about the basement? Is it wise to pull money out your home to renovate a basement?

I've personally never viewed a basement as a game changer on a house as long as its functional (i.e. not leaking water, etc)

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

Little too broad of a question to be able to answer.

It depends on what the typical market participant in your neighborhood would expect from a home of built in that era of that size in your neighborhood. I would check out realtor.com for similar aged homes in your neighborhood. Your "neighborhood" is a tricky thing to define without doxxing yourself. A safe bet (though not 100% as there could be other mitigating factors) would be too look at school district boundaries. Is your district superior or inferior to neighboring district? If equal then it is less of an issue but if there is a stark difference stay within your boundaries. Also, 1 mile is sort away is a general rule of thumb but it is not hard and fast and again there could be other mitigating factors.

Anyway, look for homes similar age homes of the same or similar design style that are within a 25% differential of your above grade living area. Look to see if there is a price difference between homes with finished basements versus homes with unfinished basements. What is the height of your basement ceiling? Often homes of that era have basement ceilings under 7 feet. If it is under 7 feet then it will most likely not be counted as livable space. Again it depends on what the typical market participant would expect.

Does your basement have egress windows? Is plumbing roughed in for an additional bathroom?

The more information you provide me the better I can point you in the right direction, of course it will still be speculation without knowing your specific neighborhood, current market conditions and current supply & demand dynamic.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Saw where realtor.com is taking off the crime statistics for an area on listings.

• 1Tiresome
  • 1Clown World
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Saw where realtor.com is taking off the crime statistics for an area on listings.
The headline I saw attributed the move to equality. I choose to believe the company stated that but it could’ve been editorializing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The headline I saw attributed the move to equality. I choose to believe the company stated that but it could’ve been editorializing.
faggots redfin and realtor took it off,

either way zillow has been superior for years anyway, it's like bing saying they no longer have x image search.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Little too broad of a question to be able to answer.

It depends on what the typical market participant in your neighborhood would expect from a home of built in that era of that size in your neighborhood. I would check out realtor.com for similar aged homes in your neighborhood. Your "neighborhood" is a tricky thing to define without doxxing yourself. A safe bet (though not 100% as there could be other mitigating factors) would be too look at school district boundaries. Is your district superior or inferior to neighboring district? If equal then it is less of an issue but if there is a stark difference stay within your boundaries. Also, 1 mile is sort away is a general rule of thumb but it is not hard and fast and again there could be other mitigating factors.

Anyway, look for homes similar age homes of the same or similar design style that are within a 25% differential of your above grade living area. Look to see if there is a price difference between homes with finished basements versus homes with unfinished basements. What is the height of your basement ceiling? Often homes of that era have basement ceilings under 7 feet. If it is under 7 feet then it will most likely not be counted as livable space. Again it depends on what the typical market participant would expect.

Does your basement have egress windows? Is plumbing roughed in for an additional bathroom?

The more information you provide me the better I can point you in the right direction, of course it will still be speculation without knowing your specific neighborhood, current market conditions and current supply & demand dynamic.

Looks like the couple houses that sold do have finished basements. They each sold for about 120k more than what I paid a couple years ago. Not sure if that's a sign of the market in general, or the more finished home.

My bud who is a general contractor told me not to do any work right now. He says I will pay thru the nose for material alone. He is booked for the next year he says. I was hoping to get this done by summer. Not sure if that will happen.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Looks like the couple houses that sold do have finished basements. They each sold for about 120k more than what I paid a couple years ago. Not sure if that's a sign of the market in general, or the more finished home.

My bud who is a general contractor told me not to do any work right now. He says I will pay thru the nose for material alone. He is booked for the next year he says. I was hoping to get this done by summer. Not sure if that will happen.
Your Bud is not wrong, material prices are no joke and can vary from region to region. That said I am starting my basement remodel on 1/17, already ~$20k into materials not including lumber, drywall, mud, paint, trim or plumbing fixtures. Pretty excited for it despite the cost, I will finally have a designated office space. I have been using this large rec room down stairs as my office, no issue with privacy as we have another rec room in the basement and living room upstairs, but it will be nice to get of the 1970s style and into a new modern look. Also, I will finally get to hang my large collection of displate that I have been acquiring over the years.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Brahma Brahma Also, I strongly recommend you consider installing egress windows for any basement bedrooms you may add. While you probably not see a dollar for dollar equivalent in value it can be a difference maker for buyers when deciding between your house and another, similar to paved driveway versus gravel just more safety minded. In the current housing climate this is less of an issue as buyers will take what they can get, however, in a down or stable market egress windows can be a real difference maker.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

yea if you kitchen also looks like freddy and jason would have had brunch in there, maybe focus on that first

my reators have all said kitchen is the most important room cuz bitches love kitchens