Home Improvement

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The best way is just buy new
I was gonna say, by my experience the best way is to keep that shit in a jar for 15 years thinking that someday you'll sort it and then ultimately throw the whole thing out in a fit of disgust.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Cleaned out my Garage for the first time in 3 years. Its detached. Need ideas for fun shit I can use it for. 2 car garage size and I'm going to turn 1 side of it into something.
just recreate the most organized garage shop, this has every organized trick i've seen

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
This is the same Samsung model that I used in my previous home kitchen remodel, maybe like 1 year newer or whatever. The only issue this one has is that the layout of the cast iron, I'll call them "tines" is such that smaller pots would be off balance and could tip to void. But I looked at everything else and they're all very similar with the exception of a KitchenAid model and one other one. And then it comes down to matching stainless between models.

I will say that Total Tech from Best Buy has already paid for it self by covering the delivery, installation, and haul off of the new appliances.

View attachment 382882

Not sure if you bought the same "Grey / black" color I did but holy shit this has been one of the worst appliance buys ever.

The shit isn't painted on or baked on or anything, it's a FILM, a film that breaks down with a minimal amount of cleaning. I'm talking micro-fiber and dawn soap watered down in a spray bottle level of minimal cleaning. The shitty Film coloring on the stove is literally flaking off.

Honest to god I'm never buying another samsung product as long as I live, that shit is hot garbage.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if you bought the same "Grey / black" color I did but holy shit this has been one of the worst appliance buys ever.

The shit isn't painted on or baked on or anything, it's a FILM, a film that breaks down with a minimal amount of cleaning. I'm talking micro-fiber and dawn soap watered down in a spray bottle level of minimal cleaning. The shitty Film coloring on the stove is literally flaking off.

Honest to god I'm never buying another samsung product as long as I live, that shit is hot garbage.

Not sure, my model is NX60T8511SS, which is the finger print resistant stainless steel. If you’re talking about the cooktop covering being black? I never had a problem with the surface of the previous model at my last house and I cleaned it plus the cleaning lady twice a week. That sounds strange.

This one isn’t installed yet. Was delivered Saturday and I forgot that the current electric was hardwire 220v and didn’t get it converted. So Best Buy was like fuck you we ain’t touching that. So I need to get around to swapping that out to 120v. Haven’t had the time bc now it requires going to the main panel and swapping out the 40A breaker and I’ve just had too much to do since then with Christmas lights and a three year old. Started a week of vacation yesterday though so maybe I’ll get to it and let you know if mine does the same.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The best way is just buy new but if you really need to sort the mess then yeah, that or any other thread gauge will work.
Yeah how many screws are we talking about? I don't think I'd spend several hours sorting $25 worth of screws. Life's too short for that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah how many screws are we talking about? I don't think I'd spend several hours sorting $25 worth of screws. Life's too short for that.
a few pounds worth, it really was the metric screws that were annoying to me, i sorted the sae screws by length anyway since theyre mostly just wood screws and deck and drywall screws look different, so it wasn't that bad.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I'm looking to get a small tankless water heater for the shop bathroom. It will just be for the sink there, washing hands and stuff. Any recommendations on brands?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure, my model is NX60T8511SS, which is the finger print resistant stainless steel. If you’re talking about the cooktop covering being black? I never had a problem with the surface of the previous model at my last house and I cleaned it plus the cleaning lady twice a week. That sounds strange.

This one isn’t installed yet. Was delivered Saturday and I forgot that the current electric was hardwire 220v and didn’t get it converted. So Best Buy was like fuck you we ain’t touching that. So I need to get around to swapping that out to 120v. Haven’t had the time bc now it requires going to the main panel and swapping out the 40A breaker and I’ve just had too much to do since then with Christmas lights and a three year old. Started a week of vacation yesterday though so maybe I’ll get to it and let you know if mine does the same.

Found it:

1638894238036.png

Black stainless steel. It isn't a coloring IN the metal, it's literally (okay, a bit hyperbole) car tint on stainless steel.

So if you got legit stainless steel, you are good.

Only reason we bought black stainless steel was because frys was going out of business and we bought a new in box range and fridge together for under 1500 (I wanna say under 1200 after haggling).

For real though, samsung I will never do again. Wife and I are together on this point, we would rather spend more and have fewer issues. The models we bought weren't cheap by any means, the fridge retails for like 28 or 3800 last I recall and the range retails for like 1200. Nothing but quality and operational issues since a month after purchase. Fridge is apparently part of a class action over the icemaker and the range (due to the coloring) is part of a start up class action lawsuit.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Found it:

View attachment 386541

Black stainless steel. It isn't a coloring IN the metal, it's literally (okay, a bit hyperbole) car tint on stainless steel.

So if you got legit stainless steel, you are good.

Only reason we bought black stainless steel was because frys was going out of business and we bought a new in box range and fridge together for under 1500 (I wanna say under 1200 after haggling).

For real though, samsung I will never do again. Wife and I are together on this point, we would rather spend more and have fewer issues. The models we bought weren't cheap by any means, the fridge retails for like 28 or 3800 last I recall and the range retails for like 1200. Nothing but quality and operational issues since a month after purchase. Fridge is apparently part of a class action over the icemaker and the range (due to the coloring) is part of a start up class action lawsuit.
Maybe you accidently bought the stainless model and it just came with that protective film to prevent scratches during install :cool:

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Unfortunately ditching Samsung won't solve the problem. We redid my Mom's kitchen with all GE appliances and after 3 years the only one still working was the dishwasher. $3000 Whirlpool refrigerator has been in the shop like 6 times in 5 years. I bought Frigidaire stuff for my kitchen a year ago because that particular brand hadn't fucked me over yet but I don't doubt that it could happen. They're all junk these days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that sucks to hear. Have no idea about black stainless. No particular brand loyalty on my part just haven't currently had a bad experience across my major appliances. No doubt that could change tomorrow when I wake up and everything breaks at once. Appliance shopping is a nightmare and the only reliable thing you can count on is something being shit.

To add here, back on the phone with Best Buy twice today to reschedule the range installation. Not that I need someone else to install it but I paid for it (it was a part of Total Tech if you count that) and I do need them to take away the old one b/c I don't want to deal with taking it to the dump or leaving it by the curb. Fucking absolutely worthless India phone support. The first person told me there were no available installation dates and I'd have to call back tomorrow. I mean wtf, it is my responsibility to call you back day after day for something you were paid to do? Second guy took care of it in about 5 minutes, told him three times to include haul away. Nope, not included, finally get my email confirmation for the order. Back on the phone. Just complete dog shit support.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that sucks to hear. Have no idea about black stainless. No particular brand loyalty on my part just haven't currently had a bad experience across my major appliances. No doubt that could change tomorrow when I wake up and everything breaks at once. Appliance shopping is a nightmare and the only reliable thing you can count on is something being shit.

To add here, back on the phone with Best Buy twice today to reschedule the range installation. Not that I need someone else to install it but I paid for it (it was a part of Total Tech if you count that) and I do need them to take away the old one b/c I don't want to deal with taking it to the dump or leaving it by the curb. Fucking absolutely worthless India phone support. The first person told me there were no available installation dates and I'd have to call back tomorrow. I mean wtf, it is my responsibility to call you back day after day for something you were paid to do? Second guy took care of it in about 5 minutes, told him three times to include haul away. Nope, not included, finally get my email confirmation for the order. Back on the phone. Just complete dog shit support.

I don't know what warranty things have now or even if story bought warranties are good, but may wanna have one available if you trust the store to honor it.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Had a new trane ac unit installed at beginning of this past summer. Did an awesome job of cutting my power bill and also was able to keep up with cooling in Florida summer. Kept humidity in the 40s.

Fast forward to now. My AC is now running 2-4 hours a day instead of 7-8 as was summer. My humidity inside has skyrocketed to as high as 65%…

Is this just because my AC isn’t running as much? Is it worth having AC ppl come look at it? Help..

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Had a new trane ac unit installed at beginning of this past summer. Did an awesome job of cutting my power bill and also was able to keep up with cooling in Florida summer. Kept humidity in the 40s.

Fast forward to now. My AC is now running 2-4 hours a day instead of 7-8 as was summer. My humidity inside has skyrocketed to as high as 65%…

Is this just because my AC isn’t running as much? Is it worth having AC ppl come look at it? Help..
you have a basement? that should be where most of the humidity starts, get a basement dehumidifier with a hose hookup

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
you have a basement? that should be where most of the humidity starts, get a basement dehumidifier with a hose hookup
Nah, not here in Florida.. I’m open to having a whole home dehumidifier integrated into my trane system, if possible.. I just want the right solution for the right problem.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nah, not here in Florida.. I’m open to having a whole home dehumidifier integrated into my trane system, if possible.. I just want the right solution for the right problem.
Yeah, you need a dehumidifier. You can get one integrated or just buy a large volume one and run it all the time. I run one through the summer, empties directly into my sump well.

You should be running one when your AC is on too. Less humidity makes it feel cooler, so you don’t have to run the AC so much, you can keep the temp slightly higher than you do now and it will feel cooler.

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

When I was getting a bid for HVAC on a retail space the guy strongly recommended slightly UNDER sizing the capacity so the AC would run more or less continuously. The theory was its less energy (biggest electric load is on compressor motor startup) and we wouldn’t need a dedicated dehumidifier AND the temp would be more consistent (not kicking on full blast for 10 minutes to get to 72, turning off for 10 min when it gets to 74 then turning back on, etc).

It sounded plausible to me but I ended up backing out of that lease so I can’t say whether it would’ve worked like he said.