Home Improvement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is it too late to change your decision to use cinder blocks for flooring?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
besides jumping rope (we have to do it outside cuz of ceiling fans in every room), is ceiling height that important?

i mean, i know bitches swoon over vaulted ceilings

I think basements can tend to feel claustrophobic. Even an additional 6 inches could make it feel open and livable instead of a dank dark dungeon.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Is it too late to change your decision to use cinder blocks for flooring?
HAHA!

This is what it will actually look like.

1639876723405.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The circled items are the closets, we are still debating between actual closets or installed/built-in wardrobes. The shower and toilet are behind a door so one person can take a dump and/or shower and one person can still use the sink/vanity. Just this morning I mentioned the idea to my wife about moving the into and extending the big walk-in shower area represented in green. The red represents the new hall closet configuration and the blue would be to add a closet to the office. Which means I would lose some wall space, but would appeal to more buyers in my market as it would be a true bedroom in use as an office. This house desperately needs more storage hence the two big hall closets.

View attachment 388634

Gotcha. The closets were labeled so I assumed those were bookshelves or something. So the design is strictly for resell and storage?

In that case why not opt for a single storage closet? Then add the second closet and bathroom access to the one big bedroom/office.

That’ll give you another master ish bedroom in the basement. You’ll prob also want proper closets in the other two bedrooms if resell is the consideration.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Gotcha. The closets were labeled so I assumed those were bookshelves or something. So the design is strictly for resell and storage?

In that case why not opt for a single storage closet? Then add the second closet and bathroom access to the one big bedroom/office.

That’ll give you another master ish bedroom in the basement. You’ll prob also want proper closets in the other two bedrooms if resell is the consideration.
Part of the reason of the original design is that the closet closest to the bathroom could be converted into an additional bathroom.

As far as the two bedrooms on toward the top of the photo, whether it is a built-in wardrobe or a true closet with sliding or bifold doors that is the size allocated. My local market would perceive floor to ceiling wardrobes the same as they would a true closet, honestly the wardrobes utilize the space WAY better but they will be 3 times the cost. The beds in those rooms are twin xls with a trundles underneath. We debated about getting the boys full beds, but the twin xls make the most sense for overall space use. I should probably mock up a "before" sketch so you can see how I am utilizing existing walls for cost efficiency, which is also the reason for two closets. Oh and the point you made about duct work was considered but it doesn't make sense cost wise, especially considering we bought a new AC a few years back. The yellow lines represent where the existing duct work is and the yellow x is where the furnace is. I have it configured so that the ducts only effect the entrance to the bathroom and office. They rest of the duct work is hidden in the closets.

The thing to remember about this property is that we did not buy it for the house, we bought it for the land. We have over an acre on a river with a private beach area. The house's design style of a split entry is my least favorite, but it has been more cost effective to remodel than to tear it down and build new especially with the cost of materials and labor around here the last few years.

1639878145422.png

The other thing is we are strongly considering Building a 5 Stall Shop/Garage with an attached ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit). Doing so would allow us to convert the existing attached Garage to nice big Master Bedroom. The ADU would be for guests and eventually my In-Laws would move into it.

Still a few things to iron out, my contractor is coming by Tuesday or Wednesday to discuss the plans and get his opinion on any possible or needed tweaks.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Doing so would allow us to convert the existing attached Garage to nice big Master Bedroom. The ADU would be for guests and eventually my In-Laws would move into it.

Still a few things to iron out, my contractor is coming by Tuesday or Wednesday to discuss the plans and get his opinion on any possible or needed tweaks.
oh like the growing pains garage
DrnMxXyVAAA27_9.jpg

were 3 panel garage doors a real thing back then? or is the min 4 panels

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think before my time all one panel doors was pretty common. Must have been a bitch to open/close a one piece garage door.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The circled items are the closets, we are still debating between actual closets or installed/built-in wardrobes. The shower and toilet are behind a door so one person can take a dump and/or shower and one person can still use the sink/vanity. Just this morning I mentioned the idea to my wife about moving the into and extending the big walk-in shower area represented in green. The red represents the new hall closet configuration and the blue would be to add a closet to the office. Which means I would lose some wall space, but would appeal to more buyers in my market as it would be a true bedroom in use as an office. This house desperately needs more storage hence the two big hall closets.

View attachment 388634

I'm not sure I'm a fan of this zones layout. But I'm willing to give it a shot, anyways.

What's your plan for death penalties?

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think before my time all one panel doors was pretty common. Must have been a bitch to open/close a one piece garage door.
We rented a house that had that. It was about the same to open really, it just swung outwards a bit as you opened it instead of going straight up like the bottoms on a multi do.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
dryer no heat, either fuse or heating element is blown, no time to check, just bought both will replace when return.

idk why this would have happened, theres no lint in the trap, i vacuum it out and theres no lint on the exhaust, i saw a nice video on repair and most likely there is a bunch of lint inside (didn't buy dryer came w/ the house)

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
dryer no heat, either fuse or heating element is blown, no time to check, just bought both will replace when return.

idk why this would have happened, theres no lint in the trap, i vacuum it out and theres no lint on the exhaust, i saw a nice video on repair and most likely there is a bunch of lint inside (didn't buy dryer came w/ the house)

I had a heater element just randomly break before

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Made an offer on some land, going to build a house. My idea is to get a crew to slab on grade, build the frame, exterior, roof and I will do the rest over a couple years. Electrical, fixtures, plumbing, drywall, flooring etc. With the correct tools I have found I am pretty handy, but obviously never built a house. Am I a crazy person?
Edit: If it matters this will be about a 2000 square foot single story house(layout TBD), with a detached 6-800 square foot garage.

Last edited: