Home Improvement

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So part of my property that gets significantly driven over is a turn around a tree that’s on about a maybe 20-30 degree slant (hard to see in pic).

Over the past year my truck has torn this up. The incline doesn’t help when my truck throws its weight on it around the turn. Maybe a few times I forgot to put it in 4wd and really did a number.. It’s getting worse and worse. Could just fill it with dirt but I imagine my HD truck will just smush and repeat this. Any idea how to fix and prevent this? Some sort of fill dirt with rocks? Gravel this portion?

E4E3124D-616F-4384-A6A3-71C4C7F2027D.jpeg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Here they would use blue rock. Rock like shit that leaches out and turns blue from the iron I guess. Gets pretty bard. Used for roads in really out of the way places. Looks like shit till it gets rained on a lot.

Looks like this stuff. Here they have small deposits of it that are a few acres. Dig it out and move on.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone have some good resources for painting interiors? I did a fair amount of my current house, but not really thrilled with how it turned out. On the new house, I'd like to nail down the proper tools/technique. I feel like a lot of the videos I've watched completely gloss over the important details. Also, any thoughts on spraying vs rolling? A coworker of mine is swearing by hplv guns.

The biggest thing is to do two coats. Most really crappy paint jobs I've seen they just did one coat and quit. You really need a second coat unless you're really good.

Beyond that, the main thing is to keep your roller loaded with paint. If it's making any noise while you're rolling it's way too dry. You should have it fully saturated with paint at all times and when you're done you should be able to scrape a cup or two out of it. Secondly, get your paint on the wall first and then "lay it out". Get the wall good and covered and then go back over it with your roller in straight lines and smooth it out.

Cutting in is another thing that takes practice. You can get decent results with painter's tape, but if you can get the hang of cutting in it's much faster and better IMO, especially if you have texture on the ceiling. You can see a big difference in how well I did it in the rooms I painted first in my house vs the ones I did last so start where it's not going to be as noticeable. The trick is that your brush doesn't go all the way into the corner, you are pushing a little dam of paint in front of your brush and that's what goes all the way to the corner. Here again you want to keep your brush loaded with paint and not let it get too dry. If you are really anal you can always go back once it's dry with a little artist's brush and some ceiling paint and touch it up. Also keep in mind that before the paint dries you can wipe it off no problem with a damp rag so if you notice yourself making a mistake you can just fix it in a couple seconds then and there. Same with drips on flooring/trim/etc. If you are paying attention they're a hell of a lot easier to fix before it dries.

I used an airless sprayer for doing my primer and ceilings. It's crazy fast and if I paint the exterior of the house I will definitely use it. For doing interior walls in a house that already has ceiling/trim/flooring/furniture though I think its just too much work to mask everything off vs. just using a roller. It's also a pretty significant job at the end of each day to clean the sprayer and you don't want to half-ass that if you want your sprayer to keep working so keep that in mind as well.

I found this channel helpful.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Another important thing is primer if you're going over bare walls. If you don't prime it adequately you'll get paint flaking off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone have some good resources for painting interiors? I did a fair amount of my current house, but not really thrilled with how it turned out. On the new house, I'd like to nail down the proper tools/technique. I feel like a lot of the videos I've watched completely gloss over the important details. Also, any thoughts on spraying vs rolling? A coworker of mine is swearing by hplv guns.
when i moved, i bought a high quality spray gun and did my living/dining room and rolled on the tinyier bedrooms

the realtor thought the spray was nice and pro but she could tell right away that the bedroom was just rolled on

the spray gun is away for a room you want to get done quick and you don't care about "lines" like a closet or a garage, just spray and you save yourself so much fucking time vs rolling.

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Do you cover everything in the room and wrap all fixtures and mask off the windows? I'm seriously curious if that's doable and saves you time.

I can't imagine spraying a 10x10 bedroom and a fine mist of paint dots *not* settling on everything. IANAPainter, thoug, hso YMMV

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I don't use any tape or masking. I'm good with a brush for cutting in, and the roller does the rest. The thing a lot of people do is not back roll after you get the paint on the wall. I use a mostly dry roller and back roll so there are no lines and edges.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Try using crusher dust. It stays put really well and drains well, too.

Dirk, I can’t find “crusher dust” locally. Technically speaking I guess crusher dust can be many things such as crushed granite etc.

I found “crushed concrete - road base”. Think I should give that a shot? I mean it says for roads.

605C9696-FD0E-4EED-9D09-4AB8639C87AD.jpeg

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Dirk, I can’t find “crusher dust” locally. Technically speaking I guess crusher dust can be many things such as crushed granite etc.

I found “crushed concrete - road base”. Think I should give that a shot? I mean it says for roads.

View attachment 389570

That would probably work fine. Look in the article I linked, there are many different names for crusher dust.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Road base will work fine I think. It's formulated to pack hard and not move when it's driven on.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Ok back to dehumidifiers. Looking at trane envirowise, aprilaire or Sante fe whole home dehumidifier.

I think these can be integrated into to thermostat and hopefully thermostat will be able to tell whether it needs to turn on ac or just dehumidifier? Anyone have one of these dehumidifiers?

I know nest is garbage (and I’m very open to getting a new thermostat if it has definitive benefits and ability to control over WiFi) but for now I’m curious if I can control it with nest smart thermo. Seems like they say nest can control most. Wondering if I have to run a new wire to thermostat tho?

Last question… Having humidity issues in a Florida beach condo that’s about 2600 sqr ft. The AC unit of course is on the roof so I don’t think there’s a whole home solution available to integrate into it. If I grab something like a GE or Frigidaire dehumidifier with continuous drain option - would it be possible for me to pipe that drain in to some preexisting drain? That way I don’t have to either have this thing drain into a bathtub or continuously empty it.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Do you guys think 6” gutters with one 3x4” downspout on a 40 ft run would overflow in heavy florida summer rain? Doesn’t sit under any trees if that makes a difference.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you guys think 6” gutters with one 3x4” downspout on a 40 ft run would overflow in heavy florida summer rain? Doesn’t sit under any trees if that makes a difference.
No one is going to be able to answer that without knowing the roof area. But a single downspout is likely a terrible idea.

The length of the discharge pipe won’t matter much since the hydraulic losses will be minor and less than that of the available driving head.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So my remodel is starting soon and I need to make some decisions regarding decor in my office. There is no huge rush as I can just use what I have now to get by for a bit. Specifically I am referring to wall paint color and desk color.

I am trying to decide if I should with a white desk and light grey walls and RGB the fuck out of everything or if I should go with darker walls and wood desktops. I will but some RGBs either way, but with the lighter color scheme it really effects the whole room versus the darker/wood it would just be an accent here and there.

Basically I am trying to decide between this style...
1640980772910.png
1640980963942.png

versus this style...

1640981156934.png

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So my remodel is starting soon and I need to make some decisions regarding decor in my office. There is no huge rush as I can just use what I have now to get by for a bit. Specifically I am referring to wall paint color and desk color.

I am trying to decide if I should with a white desk and light grey walls and RGB the fuck out of everything or if I should go with darker walls and wood desktops. I will but some RGBs either way, but with the lighter color scheme it really effects the whole room versus the darker/wood it would just be an accent here and there.

View attachment 390557View attachment 390558

versus this style...

View attachment 390559

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?
First style if you are an adult male. Second style if you’re a teenage boy or a slutty 20 yo streamer girl.

• 3Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
No one is going to be able to answer that without knowing the roof area. But a single downspout is likely a terrible idea.

The length of the discharge pipe won’t matter much since the hydraulic losses will be minor and less than that of the available driving head.
Ya pretty sure you’re right. I was trying to avoid the extra downspout because I’d have to cut a hole into my deck for it which honestly isn’t the end of the world.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

View attachment 390557View attachment 390558

versus this style...

View attachment 390559

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?
Noooo on white desk at the least. It’ll get scratched up and show everything. Get yourself a fully Jarvis bamboo desk or if you want a cheaper manual alternative I’d highly recommend the manual adjustable husky workbenches from Home Depot. I use both. Everything else wood.

Definitely rock monitor arms if you don’t. I just upgraded 3 monitors to ergotron arms and the real estate is epic.