Home Improvement

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Depends what you’re painting. You probably want Romabio lime wash for your cinder blocks.

I don’t want to paint my house white.. Looking at lighter earthy tones at the moment. Paint will go on cinderblock and wood.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t want to paint my house white.. Looking at lighter earthy tones at the moment. Paint will go on cinderblock and wood.
Behr or Valspar are going to be your best bet then. There isn’t a massive amount of “high end” exterior paint brands.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Cad Cad You mentioned this at some point the past and I'd be looking to do it. I have a house under construction right now and it is getting to the time when I should do this. You had said that placing ethernet cabling is easy at this point and I understand that. But what point in the construction should I be looking for? Its still Cat5 cable needed right?

Whatever you go with (and based on my recent googling with doing my house, not new construction, I am planning to go CAT6 b/c it isn’t that much more than 5, 6A doesn’t seem worth it, just not copper clad aluminum) I’d make sure they leave you pulls for each run on the off chance you have to add drops / replace later.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Cad Cad You mentioned this at some point the past and I'd be looking to do it. I have a house under construction right now and it is getting to the time when I should do this. You had said that placing ethernet cabling is easy at this point and I understand that. But what point in the construction should I be looking for? Its still Cat5 cable needed right?
Yea, I'd use cat6 now not cat 5, but it's easy before the walls are up. Pick your drop location wherever your network connectivity or server closet is going to be, and run ethernet drops from every room into that spot. Me personally, I would run multiple cables to each drop, at least 3, so that when they inevitably go bad you already have backups there.

If you are feeling really enterprising you might run ethernet to two spots in each room so that depending on how they arrange the room the network won't still be too far away.

You want to go do it when the walls are framed but no drywall is up yet. Should literally take 5-10 minutes per run at this point since you can just go through stapling brackets to the wall studs to run your cables.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea, I'd use cat6 now not cat 5, but it's easy before the walls are up. Pick your drop location wherever your network connectivity or server closet is going to be, and run ethernet drops from every room into that spot. Me personally, I would run multiple cables to each drop, at least 3, so that when they inevitably go bad you already have backups there.

If you are feeling really enterprising you might run ethernet to two spots in each room so that depending on how they arrange the room the network won't still be too far away.

You want to go do it when the walls are framed but no drywall is up yet. Should literally take 5-10 minutes per run at this point since you can just go through stapling brackets to the wall studs to run your cables.
don't forget to also extend/drag out and make a rg6 (coax) connection where you want your server closet to be.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
don't forget to also extend/drag out and make a rg6 (coax) connection where you want your server closet to be.
Either that or just run an ethernet cable to where an already existing coax drop is. You can hook the WAN source to your local network anywhere, it doesn't have to be at the local aggregation point.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Either that or just run an ethernet cable to where an already existing coax drop is. You can hook the WAN source to your local network anywhere, it doesn't have to be at the local aggregation point.
i mean if youre gonna make a server closet, you might as well have everything there, instead of running back down to your living to reset the modem

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Please explain this to me like I am a retard. Academically I understand this. This is the house current state. Completion is in late June.

image (1).png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Please explain this to me like I am a retard. Academically I understand this. This is the house current state. Completion is in late June.

View attachment 399406
What are you confused about? It’s just running cables from point A to point B before the drywall is up.

Also something I haven’t seen anyone mention. Don’t run the cables together with power. You can cross power, them just don’t run them tied together.

Arative

Vyemm Raider

View attachment 399406
Are you having to do the runs yourself?

When my wife and I built our house we sat down with a company our builder contracted with and we added electric beyond the standard and went room by room and added coax drops and cat 6 drops where I wanted them.

• 1Truth!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The idea of ethernet ports in a house is appealing to me but I wonder if I'd actually ever use them

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The idea of ethernet ports in a house is appealing to me but I wonder if I'd actually ever use them
IMO it's a must-have if you have any kind of home data/media server, or if you want the lowest possible ping for gaming.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

I'm pretty low tech. But I put an ethernet run to the TV several years ago. They had a cutout cover already there where the cable came in. Just ran it through the attic and down the wall. Pretty quick if you already have something there you can use to fish the cable through.

Older large house with large amounts of solid wood in the walls, wifi is sketchy at best just down the hall. It wouldn't reach the living room without an extender or mesh system. Just wired it instead.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I did it in my old house but wifi just seems to work fine here. I have a cable running to desktop computer but that's it. All the TV streaming shit is made to work on wifi only for the most part anyway.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I’ve had too many nightmares over the years with shitty wifi that I refuse to rely on it. Dead spots, garbage extenders, the fucking microwave. House I’m getting built only came with three Ethernet hookups included, which was kind of annoying, but I’m hoping it won’t be too hard to add some more if I need.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Wifi mostly works depending on how crowded your neighborhood is and the material in your walls/floors/etc but there's no question that ethernet is far superior for any device that is actually capable of being plugged in. It's certainly worth running a few hundred bucks of cable in a few hours before the walls are up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wifi mostly works depending on how crowded your neighborhood is and the material in your walls/floors/etc but there's no question that ethernet is far superior for any device that is actually capable of being plugged in. It's certainly worth running a few hundred bucks of cable in a few hours before the walls are up.
not just that but ethernet helps w/ wifi too, like if you notice your wifi sucks in the kitchen, you can't just put a extender in there, b/c it'll just repeat the same shitty signal, but if you hook the extender w/ ethernet then you get 5full wifi bars.

running cat5 in my old home was relatively easy, it was a ranch style and i had easy access to the attic, running it down to the basement was a problem actually, it was a popcorn ceiling mess, i was "lucky in that the central room was the furnace, so i just put 3 ethernet outlets down there to the 3 rooms adjoining the furnace.

i had 2 jacks in each room, mbr and living room i had 4, it was a lot of wires going to the router/switch.

actually when i sold the house i took the 24 port switch and put in an 8port switch, 1 line per room, and said they could buy another switch if they needed it

Last edited:

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Anyone ever did indoor air quality testing in their home? Is it better to hire a professional to do it once, or buy an indoor air quality (IAQ) monitor for $200-$300 and just run it in different rooms for a couple of weeks?

Me and my fam been coughing regularly for the past few weeks. We've also been sick as well in January and February so its been hard to tell whether its due to being sick, or allergies, or air quality in the house. Startled noticing that it happens more rarely outside of the house so I started thinking its an air quality issue. I changed air filters so far but the change isnt dramatic. I do seem to be coughing slightly less though.

Anyways, wanted to see if anyone dealt with this before and what's the optimal way of going about it is.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone ever did indoor air quality testing in their home? Is it better to hire a professional to do it once, or buy an indoor air quality (IAQ) monitor for $200-$300 and just run it in different rooms for a couple of weeks?

Me and my fam been coughing regularly for the past few weeks. We've also been sick as well in January and February so its been hard to tell whether its due to being sick, or allergies, or air quality in the house. Startled noticing that it happens more rarely outside of the house so I started thinking its an air quality issue. I changed air filters so far but the change isnt dramatic. I do seem to be coughing slightly less though.

Anyways, wanted to see if anyone dealt with this before and what's the optimal way of going about it is.
Is it an old house with old building materials?

I know someone who had a lot of problems with food allergies, had to follow a very strict diet or have stomach issues. On vacations though she could eat stuff and not have a problem. They eventually did a test where she just stayed somewhere else for a couple weeks and her problems went away. They think it’s just she’s sensitive to old building materials. They moved to a newer house six months ago or so and no problems since, can eat whatever she wants. Fuckin weird, but maybe you have some shit like that going on.