Home Improvement

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What do you guys do for mice? I've killed 2 using peanut butter in the traps but I know I have at least one or two more running around and they are ignoring it now. Are their mouse friends coming back from the dead telling them not to fall for it?

I know I need to check around the outside of the house to see where they could be coming in, but we've got 8 inches of snow still so that isn't happening yet.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What do you guys do for mice? I've killed 2 using peanut butter in the traps but I know I have at least one or two more running around and they are ignoring it now. Are their mouse friends coming back from the dead telling them not to fall for it?

I know I need to check around the outside of the house to see where they could be coming in, but we've got 8 inches of snow still so that isn't happening yet.
I don’t have mice but if I did I’d use this. Then kill them the next day. Or throw some rat poison in the bottom of the bucket and hope they’re dead before you get there.

RinneTraps - Flip N Slide Bucket Lid Mouse Trap |Humane or Lethal| |Trap Door Style| |Multi Catch |Auto Reset| |Indoor Outdoor| |No See Kill| |5 Gallon Bucket Compatible| Made in USA (1)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Poison pellets. I used to get mice coming in through my attic. I put a pack of poison pellets every winter right outside the entry hatch and I haven't had one since. I think that was 3 years ago now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
huh ok I might try that (the bucket) but need to figure out where to put it. Right now I've been catching them by putting traps in the drop ceiling in my basement (so kids/dog can't get access to them and fuck themselves up).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
huh ok I might try that (the bucket) but need to figure out where to put it. Right now I've been catching them by putting traps in the drop ceiling in my basement (so kids/dog can't get access to them and fuck themselves up).
If the traps are working you could just try a different food before a new trap. Maybe they associate peanut butter with death now.

• 2Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I had a bad mice problem years ago. I used the good old wooden traps with peanut butter and had little luck. I switched to a smoked gruyere (no joke) and overnight killed several. A couple more rounds and they were gone. They couldn't get enough of my gruyere.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Apparently mice here don't like peanut butter. Tried three different kinds of traps and they won't touch it. Even tried the $40 electric trap (fucking bullshit) and the fuckers ignore the PB. Fancy cheese you say? I've got some brie in the fridge.

• 2Like

Goatface

we get a field mouse every 1-2 years, they love peanut butter, but not the healthier stuff needs to have some sugar.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Made some changes after I realized my kids will only be kids for so long and eventually they might come home with girlfriends/wives and kids. The way I configured their rooms before we could only fit twin beds in them. It was not a very future proof design, that will end up being solved by a solution I did not realize existed. I knew there was insulation that can deaden sound a bit, but I had no idea how good the "good stuff" is. Why is this a game changer? Well the bottom right room is underneath the Master Suite and lets just say I do not want to scar one of my kids for life. After a candid chat with my contractor he assured me noise will be a non issue, at his suggestion we are also changing out the old metal vents for a more efficient with less echo plastic product. So anyway, changes were made and I think it is much better. My office will basically stay where it has been in the front, just has a different layout and view. The backyard is beautiful but I love being able to watch my boys play hoops out front while I work.

1644558226705.png

The table with all the chairs in the family room was me just seeing if I could pull off a full ten seat poker game, it will be tight but doable. That little grey mark near the upper right part of the table is marker for a structural post. That post makes it tight, but worth to get a 10 man poker game going.

Lastly, the beds are Queen Size which is future proof and what is even more future proof is my small office can accommodate a Queen Size Bed and two night stands.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
yea that house fence and property lines are just weird
120260cff214904721403a4c80dffa0f.png

like if we look at the top, i can see why they made that sharp corner, it's not worth it to so many right angles right? and they were really trying to follow the property line but then at the bottom, it's like wtf?

that bottom fence makes a weird ass trapazoid that takes a huge chunk of property from the other house and even crosses another property a little.

like they were following the lines at the top, then someone became drunk as shit at the bottom
That’s fucking weird. Really bothers me that instead of using proper 90s at the very top they have some weird ass sharp corner angle.

What kind of fence are you thinking of putting up? Make that shit tall.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
ryobi combo kits half off and stuff at hd, today only

some brushless kits, some hp+ kits and some older kits

oh it's free shipping too if youre lazy, i didn't find anything i was only interested in a 16guage nailer cuz i'm gonna do moulding soon, so i just got that from direct tools instead
I’m a dewalt 20v fanboy but I did buy a ryobi electric staple gun because dewalt didn’t make one. Worked excellent. Just bought this ryobi chemical sprayer. I like ryobi.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

For now peanut butter and mouse traps until you can find where they are getting in and seal it. Maybe a cat would also help.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Lanx Lanx think I’m gonna go Rachio. Fewer zones means less overall run time too so I think 16 should be plenty to expand in future. Need to talk to my irrigation guy but I think my initial irrigation will be 4 zones.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx think I’m gonna go Rachio. Fewer zones means less overall run time too so I think 16 should be plenty to expand in future. Need to talk to my irrigation guy but I think my initial irrigation will be 4 zones.
well runtimes are also dependent on the specific zone too, maybe it's a garden bed or it's sloped or its more sun facing, i think the rachio app also has this kind of customization...

how are you so bad at estimating? first you say up to 24zones then you say 16is fine, now you'll go with 4?

also 4 is like usually for a very small sq/ft, what kind of sprinklers are you getting then?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That’s fucking weird. Really bothers me that instead of using proper 90s at the very top they have some weird ass sharp corner angle.

What kind of fence are you thinking of putting up? Make that shit tall.
just a tall 7ft, no wood or anything is down, hell i might be stupid enough to think i could just do it myself w/ the youtubes
I’m a dewalt 20v fanboy but I did buy a ryobi electric staple gun because dewalt didn’t make one. Worked excellent. Just bought this ryobi chemical sprayer. I like ryobi.

it really looks like ryobis hp+ is moving towards prosumer too.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
ryobi combo kits half off and stuff at hd, today only

some brushless kits, some hp+ kits and some older kits

oh it's free shipping too if youre lazy, i didn't find anything i was only interested in a 16guage nailer cuz i'm gonna do moulding soon, so i just got that from direct tools instead
Damn, did I miss this? Not seeing anything steeply discounted.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
well runtimes are also dependent on the specific zone too, maybe it's a garden bed or it's sloped or its more sun facing, i think the rachio app also has this kind of customization...

how are you so bad at estimating? first you say up to 24zones then you say 16is fine, now you'll go with 4?

also 4 is like usually for a very small sq/ft, what kind of sprinklers are you getting then?
4 to start, I will add more zones over the next two years.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
we get a field mouse every 1-2 years, they love peanut butter, but not the healthier stuff needs to have some sugar.
Yeah I used the organic shit we had and they ignored it. Put some real peanut butter in there and caught two in a night.

Will try cheese tonight since I have some.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Can try some kibble as well. My dad had a bitch of a time trying to get mice onto the sticky traps we had at our old house. They were coming in and stealing our dog's food, so I threw some kibble on the traps, and bam, got 'em. Worth a shot.

• 2Like