Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When I was about 13 I had a weird lesion on my shin that wouldn't heal properly for months, maybe the size of a dime, and it itched ferociously. I ended up picking the scab off with a knife because I got so sick of it and found something hard inside. I grabbed it with tweezers and pulled, and it turned out to be a fucking inch and a half long splinter maybe 1/8'' wide that had embedded between my tibia and fibia when I ran over some pressure treated wood with a lawn mower the previous summer. I'm amazed that it didn't cause more problems than just itching.

I always wear pants now.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
i'm rehabbing my backyard, the best tool i found is a dethatcher w/ twines, it just brings up all the twigs and thatch up and wrecks moss

is that what you got a lot of creeping moss just spread out and hidden in there?
Around the house, yeah, but it’s mostly in or near the flower bed. The rest is effectively pasture that I mow. House is right in the middle of the 5 acres, so it would be hard to hay and make worthwhile.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Have to go to the hospital tomorrow and see a new doctor. Will be a thing that happens often until it doesn't. Sucks. I could do without it. Especially the ones that want a life history from 2 years old and try to blame it on everything including the moon phase.
are you afraid he's gonna recommend you use a different fertilizer?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Have to go to the hospital tomorrow and see a new doctor. Will be a thing that happens often until it doesn't. Sucks. I could do without it. Especially the ones that want a life history from 2 years old and try to blame it on everything including the moon phase.

I'm pretty good at saying "drop it and move on". So good in fact on Dr. called security and askedd me to leave. I was afraid....of an 85 year old security guy that probably would have had a heart attack if I said boo.

I have a feeling this was posted in the wrong thread but I feel your pain on new doctors. Shitty thing about living in a rural area. People just getting out of medical school can get their student loans reduced by working in a rural area so they come out here, put in whatever the minimum to get their benefits, and then go back to the city where they can make more money. As a result I have to break in a different inexperienced doctor every couple of years.

• 1Solidarity

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have solar running? I started looking around a bit to get an idea on cost etc. On a whim the other day I put my info into EnergySage.com to see what quotes I’d get.

averaging $240 per month on our electric bill over the last 7 months, and it’s looking pretty attractive to consider about a 9 - 10kw system.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
We bought a house a while ago that had solar already installed. It was fully paid for by the owners a couple years ago. I believe the total cost was $21,000. So far it's been amazing. Our electric bill averages 5 - 10 dollars.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have solar running? I started looking around a bit to get an idea on cost etc. On a whim the other day I put my info into EnergySage.com to see what quotes I’d get.

averaging $240 per month on our electric bill over the last 7 months, and it’s looking pretty attractive to consider about a 9 - 10kw system.
Are you planning on just going solar only? Solar and a battery? Does your municipality require you to continue paying a "connection" fee?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

if you are thinking about it, you only have 18months to act, the federal rebate is 26% now and 22% 2023 and then it ends

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Are you planning on just going solar only? Solar and a battery? Does your municipality require you to continue paying a "connection" fee?
Want to include a battery as well, no sense in wasting all that daylight and I like the idea of having a backup in case of outages. I haven't started looking at utility specifics yet. I'm in southern California so they tend to be pretty 'green' friendly.
if you are thinking about it, you only have 18months to act, the federal rebate is 26% now and 22% 2023 and then it ends
Would definitely want to get it installed before then. We have one EV and depending on what's available in a few years when it's time to replace the 4Runner we'd like to get at least a PHEV.

Our roof layout/orientation is decent. I imagine it would be best if area A or B were facing south so we could get exposure all day, but B faces west nicely and starts to get a ton of sun at/after midday.
1652944601736.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Want to include a battery as well, no sense in wasting all that daylight and I like the idea of having a backup in case of outages. I haven't started looking at utility specifics yet. I'm in southern California so they tend to be pretty 'green' friendly.
yea you need a battery for backup b/c you can't be the generating electricity while theres a blackout b/c you'll be tied into the grid and that would cause harm to ppl working on the grid (b/c it might feed the energy back and thats when workers get explodey)

tesla powerwall/solar might be good for you, maybe ask Tarisk Tarisk about it since he installed them

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yea you need a battery for backup b/c you can't be the generating electricity while theres a blackout b/c you'll be tied into the grid and that would cause harm to ppl working on the grid (b/c it might feed the energy back and thats when workers get explodey)

tesla powerwall/solar might be good for you, maybe ask Tarisk Tarisk about it since he installed them
That seems odd to me. I understand it would feed back into the grid. But Ive been offered an install with and without a battery. Of course one makes more sense than the other, but even then.. I cant imagine someone getting "explodey" because it feeds back in. Another example is that my neighbor elected for to go with it up the street and he doesnt have a battery. Maybe Im wrong, idk.

But on that note - I did learn that, at least in some areas, you can feed back into the grid and get a pittance of payment back. AEP gives you the middle finger in VA but at least they are one of the cheapest suppliers in the nation.

If anything, after you get it done - tell us more about the install etc. It looked like it tore the ever living shit out of my neighbors roof but he claims its fine.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That seems odd to me. I understand it would feed back into the grid. But Ive been offered an install with and without a battery. Of course one makes more sense than the other, but even then.. I cant imagine someone getting "explodey" because it feeds back in. Another example is that my neighbor elected for to go with it up the street and he doesnt have a battery. Maybe Im wrong, idk.

But on that note - I did learn that, at least in some areas, you can feed back into the grid and get a pittance of payment back. AEP gives you the middle finger in VA but at least they are one of the cheapest suppliers in the nation.

If anything, after you get it done - tell us more about the install etc. It looked like it tore the ever living shit out of my neighbors roof but he claims its fine.
Currently, the electric grid will shut down during extreme weather conditions or if consumer demand overloads the system. This power outage would include your solar panel system. Utilities can also shut down if they think the grid will become overloaded.

One of the reasons for a shutdown is to protect utility technicians who are sent to fix damaged power lines. The other reason is that your solar panel system is connected to the grid via a solar inverter (or “grid-tied solar”). The inverter runs to a smart meter that records the amount of energy you use, and also the excess solar energy that is sent back to the utility. So if the grid shuts down, so will your solar panels.1

(As a reminder, don’t forget about net metering. If you have net metering plans in your state you can save even more by selling your excess energy back to your local utility company.2 Your solar company should be able to walk you through this, if it’s available.)

The only way for your solar panels to continue generating power during a blackout is solar battery storage. Today, more and more utility companies are seeing the importance of solar storage and are finding ways to incorporate more renewable energy into their infrastructure.3

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

It’s no different than hooking a generator up to your panel. It’s supposed to be on a switch that allows the panel to be fed by the meter OR your generator, but never both simultaneously. The reason is the same - to protect utility workers that are repairing the lines.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
The battery requirement is what killed solar for me in AR. I was looking at a giant installation (on my shop building, which is perfect for solar) - 64 panels. $70-90k depending on the vendor. Spending that kind of coin on a solar installation that stops working when the grid goes down? That's ridiculous. I was looking at the Sunpower stuff ( SunVault the Solar Battery Storage System for Homeowners ) and needed 2 or 3 batteries, each of which adds $12-14k (not sure about the install costs for 3 batteries vs 1) each.

I was looking at a $100k spend. 14-16 years before I break even. 25 year warranty / lifespan on the panels. This was to provide ~70% of my monthly kWh usage. The math just doesn't work, IMO.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok, so my garage is pretty much turning into my dedicated wooodworking shop, but I have a bunch of shit I still need to get out of it. This has prompted me to start planning to build a shed in our(very small) backyard. I need to info and advice on the foundation for the shed. Right now it's just grass, but it's south Florida sod, so it's rocky and shitty and moist. I've been doing a lot of research on foundations, and almost all of them are geared toward northern/cold states. I want to make sure I'm taking into account the wet/soft dirt of south Florida, before making something that might start sinking or leaning in a year.

The size of the shed is probably going to be around 8 x 4. Not going to hold any heavy machinery or anything. Just some random stuff like a shopvac, pool toys/supplies, pressure cleaner, etc.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't know shit about Florida or foundations there but my brother and I are building a chicken house right now and the "home renovision" guy on YouTube has a very comprehensive series of videos on building a shed that are geared towards DIYers and we found them quite helpful.

He's in Canada though so the foundation part might not apply.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I don't know shit about Florida or foundations there but my brother and I are building a chicken house right now and the "home renovision" guy on YouTube has a very comprehensive series of videos on building a shed that are geared towards DIYers and we found them quite helpful.

He's in Canada though so the foundation part might not apply.
I'm telling you, man. All the most helpful YouTubers are in the frozen north. Maybe I'll start a Florida Man DIY in the Swamp channel. As of now, I'm considering going this route. Cheap and, if the dirt is too soft, it can at least be easily removed/fixed.

1653070637341.png

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I finally got a break in kids sports to mow. Lanx will hate this image, but this is what my mower at 6”, with a little closer to the house at 4” looks like. It was way overgrown, knee height in most areas. First time it’s all been a uniform height this spring - usually only have an hour to mow, and at that height it’s 3 hours worth of work.

View attachment 412454
That's chunk of your yard looks bigger than my entire lot. It ain't easy living in south Florida, man.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers