Home Improvement

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I finally got a break in kids sports to mow. Lanx will hate this image, but this is what my mower at 6”, with a little closer to the house at 4” looks like. It was way overgrown, knee height in most areas. First time it’s all been a uniform height this spring - usually only have an hour to mow, and at that height it’s 3 hours worth of work.

View attachment 412454

Nice spread of land. Looks good

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

not really much to the vid, but impressed him doing it pretty much solo. few years ago, helped do a pour with over 300 bags with 3 people. even when i was his age don't think i would ever want to do 20 pallets

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
yea when i moved into my cul desac the lawns were attrocious, so was mine, this season mine is the 4th best... cuz the other 3 moved in after me and all from cali and just get a yard service, which is cool cuz now us other neighbors hate em cuz they are so loud. (the lawn service guys use those huge 42in zero turn mowers)

we give em shit all the time,

learn to mow your own lawn, youre fucking up the noise levels

youre from california and you all have teslas, these lawn guys are using gas and serious chemicals, don't you guys care about the environment? go get an electric mower...

thats what i did this week, everyone likes to gather in the middle and chat and thats what they said to the cali guys that came over.

you know what the cali guy said? electric mowers are weak. i said oh wtf went to my garage took out my mower and said "gracie you wanna ride this?" gracie hopped on and i pushed her w/ one finger (i didn't turn the blades on of course)

Is this you?

1652655820617.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Mowing the lawn barefoot is kind of a cool feeling, but I always feel like it might cost me a toe sooner or later.
I never cared until I got a rock thrown at my shin one time that left a bleeding welt. I made sure to have shoes and at least some socks on after that. I mean anything can be thrown at your feets at any time. A high velocity sick or rock fucking hurts, never mind something metal or sharp.

• 1Like

Goatface

shorts and barefoot, god damn tempting fate right there.
think this was the closest i come to seeing some get really hurt with a mower.
growing up (around 12), 2 houses down, girl was 17/18, pretty, big rack, all summer would wear daisy dukes with a bikini top. one day i was on my front porch and saw she was mowing their lawn, barefoot with previous outfit (our group of houses had a steady drop from back to front of about 5' over 100'ish feet. at the very front, there was a steep drop like a 2' 45 degree slope to shoulder of the road). at the top of the slope, she pushed the mower down the hill, but it hit the ground or something and stopped moving. she slipped and fell. she did like a split with the back wheels of the mower hitting her inner thighs a few inches off the ground. she was so close to going under it, but was lucky and hung on the handle and was able to push it away. this was before mowers had run control bars.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Friend of mine was 10 or 11 (so ~40 years ago) and was watching the neighbor lady trying to fix something on her mower. She had it running and on its side. She put her hand near it and it sucked it right in. Lost her whole hand, he was the only other person there so had to run for help. Says he can still remember it pretty vividly.

A couple years ago an old neighbor I’m still in contact with sent me a pic of a bloody piece of trimmer cord like 1/2” long. He was trimming and had something hit him, said it hurt but thought nothing of it until a couple weeks later when it was swollen and infected. They pulled that piece of cord out of his shin, it was embedded in there and he didn’t even realize it. Wears jeans when doing yard work now lol

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Friend of mine was 10 or 11 (so ~40 years ago) and was watching the neighbor lady trying to fix something on her mower. She had it running and on its side. She put her hand near it and it sucked it right in. Lost her whole hand, he was the only other person there so had to run for help. Says he can still remember it pretty vividly.
Well thats just plain stupid, lol. If it wasnt the mower, it would have been something else or worse.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A couple years ago an old neighbor I’m still in contact with sent me a pic of a bloody piece of trimmer cord like 1/2” long. He was trimming and had something hit him, said it hurt but thought nothing of it until a couple weeks later when it was swollen and infected. They pulled that piece of cord out of his shin, it was embedded in there and he didn’t even realize it. Wears jeans when doing yard work now lol
yea i wear jeans and sneakers when i mow. (mainly cuz bugs eat me alive on the lawn) also now i had to get safety glasses w/ foam lining, cuz when i now edge an errant rock or pebble could (and has) shot right up under my glasses

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yea i wear jeans and sneakers when i mow. (mainly cuz bugs eat me alive on the lawn) also now i had to get safety glasses w/ foam lining, cuz when i now edge an errant rock or pebble could (and has) shot right up under my glasses
Yeah eye shit is scary, I wear glasses but I still get kind of nervous. A friend of mine worked at a machine that would shoot little crescent metal shavings out of it from time to time, like a fingernail but glowing red and metal. He had one shoot at his face bounce off his cheek, into safety glasses interior, and stab right into his fuckin eyeball. It was so hot it cauterized itself and had to get surgically removed. He was fucked up for like a month while that healed.

Now I’m thinking about all the injuries of friends and coworkers…I knew a lot of people with fucked up accidents lol

• 1Barf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah eye shit is scary, I wear glasses but I still get kind of nervous. A friend of mine worked at a machine that would shoot little crescent metal shavings out of it from time to time, like a fingernail but glowing red and metal. He had one shoot at his face bounce off his cheek, into safety glasses interior, and stab right into his fuckin eyeball. It was so hot it cauterized itself and had to get surgically removed. He was fucked up for like a month while that healed.

Now I’m thinking about all the injuries of friends and coworkers…I knew a lot of people with fucked up accidents lol
yea i doubled up on eye ppe when i was cutting up a tire (it has steal treads) w/ safty glasses and a face shield, only got two eyes and my eyes are weird, the left one is almost 20/20 for seeing far, but if try to use it to see even my keyboard keys it's blurry, while my right eye is the opposite.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I wear safety goggles when I mow or use the trimmer. I had a big-assed wasp go to town on the side of one when I was mowing. Could have easily lost an eye if I didn't have it. And .5 second of dipping a trimmer into gravel at max RPM can kick up a lot of stones.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Never mind the stones, worst shit ever is getting something organic embedded in your eye or skin.
When I was about 13 I had a weird lesion on my shin that wouldn't heal properly for months, maybe the size of a dime, and it itched ferociously. I ended up picking the scab off with a knife because I got so sick of it and found something hard inside. I grabbed it with tweezers and pulled, and it turned out to be a fucking inch and a half long splinter maybe 1/8'' wide that had embedded between my tibia and fibia when I ran over some pressure treated wood with a lawn mower the previous summer. I'm amazed that it didn't cause more problems than just itching.

I always wear pants now.

• 1Like