Home Improvement

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Ok boys I have a dilemma. I am not really thrilled with how my walnut desktop turned out. I have been trying to convince myself it is fine, but it really isn't.

Here is what I ordered...
View attachment 416070
And this is what I received...
View attachment 416072

I was looking for the darker chocolate contrasting against the blonde and instead I got mostly one reddish note.

I reached out to the company and they offered me $1,000 off or a replacement. I am leaning toward the replacement which will be about a month out with shipping, which means I will not be able to get my office all finalized for another month. Yes, I will be able to work in here but I will not be able to do the cable management etc. Basically switching tops means more work for me, but for the price I paid and that I am thinking I will never buy another desk again in my life I should probably get exactly what I want.

Again leaning toward replacement, while wondering if I should just take the discount and live with it. I hate the idea of settling but is it the more practical thing to do? Also wondering to myself if I the idea of settling is more appealing than normal when you consider all the work I have to do to get the basement furnished, art work hung, projector set up etc etc etc. Honestly there is a shit ton to do.

Thoughts?
They sent me mock up photos of the new desktop.

1656359292208.png

There is a huge difference in the contrast compared to the first one I received. It appears this might actually work out to my liking.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thanks. We've got someone coming to look at it, but earliest appointment we could get is a couple weeks away. I'll keep it on and keep an eye on it in the meantime.

I wonder, is there a more traditional filter I could buy to slide in instead of using the two big honeycomb ones? Maybe a disposable one that I can just change out periodically and then not have to deal with the electrical aspect of it?
I have one of those, prob older model but it has 2 in line "filters" that connect to the power source. When we bough the house the inspector told us to wash the filters in the dishwasher at least every season. Not sure yours are washable but they should be as a black sludge of dust and particulates gets trapped on the metal foils of the filtration and they filter less and less. Its prob why you have red lights flashing if you never cleaned them before. When we wash ours we need to do 2 cycles in dishwasher because they are so dirty. Literally black water.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I have one of those, prob older model but it has 2 in line "filters" that connect to the power source. When we bough the house the inspector told us to wash the filters in the dishwasher at least every season. Not sure yours are washable but they should be as a black sludge of dust and particulates gets trapped on the metal foils of the filtration and they filter less and less. Its prob why you have red lights flashing if you never cleaned them before. When we wash ours we need to do 2 cycles in dishwasher because they are so dirty. Literally black water.
I thought that might be an issue, so I washed them. The instructions on our unit (the previous owners actually left the instruction manual! They were very organized) said to run water through them. We blasted them with the hose and tons of gunk flew out, then let them fully dry by keeping them outside in the heat for a day. Put them back in and the red flashing started up again.

I went into the setup mode and figured out what the error codes are. You can have it show the last 3 error codes it's encountered, and all 3 were the same; something along the lines of checking the door voltage. So I'm thinking it's some kind of faulty part at this point.

We're letting it run as normal and just keeping an eye on the condensate drain to make sure it's not clogged.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
BTW they DO make filters of that size. jsut measure the metal filter and go to home cheapo and I guarantee they will have a paper box filter of that size. The proplem with those is they dont last that long and start to impede the air flow.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
So apparently my partial finished basement had the unfinished part power washed after construction was finished, and there’s water all up in the carpet and framing to the finished area now (mom found some funky shit growing on the doors when the internet was getting hooked up). Remediation company is going to come out and take care of it, but in general I wanted to get my own dehumidifier down in the basement anyway. Any suggestions for a basic one, preferably with a hose to drain it, that I can shove down there?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So apparently my partial finished basement had the unfinished part power washed after construction was finished, and there’s water all up in the carpet and framing to the finished area now (mom found some funky shit growing on the doors when the internet was getting hooked up). Remediation company is going to come out and take care of it, but in general I wanted to get my own dehumidifier down in the basement anyway. Any suggestions for a basic one, preferably with a hose to drain it, that I can shove down there?
Size of area that you're trying to put it in? (also, that sounds fucked)

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The dehumidifier I have is a Haier HEN70ETFP-E

I picked it up used for a similar purpose (encapsulated crawl space) for like $180. It’s still running strong but admittedly I haven’t used it much (I ended up selling that house and current one has no basement/crawlspace).

Daidraco

Don’t have an exact footage but around 600sq ft I think? And yeah, it’s fucking annoying, but at least it’s all covered by warranty.
- 0-1500 sq/ft model is good for that without being over kill. People will refer you to these huge 4500 sq/ft models, but then be mad about the power usage.
- Reusable filter, so you're not buying a new filter all the fkn time.
- High Energy Efficiency rating (relating back to point 1.)
- I have a bigger model for a storage building and fumbled with different pieces at Lowes for a fitting, but you can buy their hose hookup (separate) and use the drainage plug.
- Perfectly fine for a permanent usage setup to keep your basement comfortable.
- Not extremely loud like some models (relating back to point 5.)
- Price point is great, has a warranty and you can return it if you dont like it.

• 1Like

Goatface

saw this on reddit
The ad literally says, "Modern Kitchen, Great Layout, Bright and Spacious!"
1656442531111.png

• 3WTF
  • 1Worf

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Probably a stupid question, but I’ve never tended a lawn in my life (save for raking some leaf mazes as a kid in autumn): what are the use cases for bagging, mulching, or side-discharging grass clippings when mowing?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Probably a stupid question, but I’ve never tended a lawn in my life (save for raking some leaf mazes as a kid in autumn): what are the use cases for bagging, mulching, or side-discharging grass clippings when mowing?
Clippings in your lawn can cause buildup that shelters pests and fungus. Some people say it can make allergies worse. Side discharge tends to pile up and cut off light to the grass underneath, plus is ugly. Mulching is kind of a middle ground where theoretically the smaller pieces decay faster.

Personally, I can't be arsed and always mulch. But I'm also of the "If it's green, that's close enough" theory of lawns.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Why stop at color? If it's mowable and non-threatening, good enough.

Hell, some of the mosses that I'm sure would give Lanx an aneurism, I find preferable to grass. Thicker and softer to walk on, barely grows to a height that requires mowing.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

I used to just let the clippings stay on the yard. If you mow often enough, it doesnt appear to hurt anything and keeps you from having to use fertilizer. The guys that mow my yard now though, they take all that shit with them and fertilize twice a year. Just preference I suppose. Mulching and Compost pits are neat / novel, but I dont want to waste my free time on that shit.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Clippings in your lawn can cause buildup that shelters pests and fungus. Some people say it can make allergies worse. Side discharge tends to pile up and cut off light to the grass underneath, plus is ugly. Mulching is kind of a middle ground where theoretically the smaller pieces decay faster.

Personally, I can't be arsed and always mulch. But I'm also of the "If it's green, that's close enough" theory of lawns.
I mow twice a week so I do not have to bag/rake the clippings. Mowing twice week keeps the clippings small enough that they are barely visible if at all. If the week is busy and I only mow once then the clippings really do pile up and require a rake/bag.

My dude that does my fertilizer/weed told me those small clippings help with weeds. Been using him for 5 years and my lawn has never looked better so i assume he is telling me the truth. I have no doubt that regional weather/humidity play a part in the results of leaving the clippings versus bagging them.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Why stop at color? If it's mowable and non-threatening, good enough.

Hell, some of the mosses that I'm sure would give Lanx an aneurism, I find preferable to grass. Thicker and softer to walk on, barely grows to a height that requires mowing.
preach GIF by Shalita Grant

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
So all my basement carpet is getting pulled up, drywall’s getting punched, etc. trying to see how far this moisture situation is down there. I’m a little grumpy the builder’s fucked it up this much. There’s a massive funk growing under the staircase, doors are of course toast, my ducts are apparently sweating when they shouldn’t be. Should all be covered under warranty, but this is still a big pain in the ass and I hope it’s not going to cause anything permanent. Welcome to home ownership, I guess.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Arative

Vyemm Raider
So all my basement carpet is getting pulled up, drywall’s getting punched, etc. trying to see how far this moisture situation is down there. I’m a little grumpy the builder’s fucked it up this much. There’s a massive funk growing under the staircase, doors are of course toast, my ducts are apparently sweating when they shouldn’t be. Should all be covered under warranty, but this is still a big pain in the ass and I hope it’s not going to cause anything permanent. Welcome to home ownership, I guess.
I'm confused why someone would powerwash a basement at all, let alone when drywall and carpet were already in there.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users