Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm confused why someone would powerwash a basement at all, let alone when drywall and carpet were already in there.
Sounds like something you’d do to remove the mold and mildew on the walls caused by poor design and high humidity.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Well, in the process of ripping everything the hell out, they found that a pipe got hit with nails for the baseboard...no metal plate was put there, and also the drywall didn't have a gap to separate it from the floor. So, that's the next best guess is that fucker's leaking, carpet/pad soaked it, got absorbed into the drywall, etc.

RIP
BDC8426E-D5AD-4B06-8D4E-7D3BB8D097FD.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well, in the process of ripping everything the hell out, they found that a pipe got hit with nails for the baseboard...no metal plate was put there, and also the drywall didn't have a gap to separate it from the floor. So, that's the next best guess is that fucker's leaking, carpet/pad soaked it, got absorbed into the drywall, etc.

RIP
View attachment 419737
Same thing happened to my neighbors house build a couple weeks ago. Nails through a water line. Water gets turned on, just flows into the finished basement For a couple days. Drywall, ceiling, carpet, pad all fucked. New builds are complete trash. Can’t hire anyone, rushing everything.

The neighborhood they’re moving to is $600-900k homes (That’s very high for our area). One family had to move out cause the sewage backed up into the house, I believe that’s the one they completely forgot to install a cleanout. Multiple houses got backfilled before tile was installed, resulting in flooded basements. All kinds of drywall fuckups. I forget all the other shit I’ve heard but it sounds like every single build has had major issues.

Goatface

from a few days ago
The price to fix this mess is also overwhelming. Bids from other companies to re-do their metal roof are coming in over $70,000.

while looking for more info, saw this from 2009, couldn't find out what happened.

Instead of doing work on Fischer's 2-story home, [Bossler Roofing] was supposed to replace the roof on his neighbor's one-story home, two doors down........Bossler wants to give Fischer a new roof. All he'll have to pay is his insurance deductible.

in another story, Fischer said Bossler had gave him an estimate earlier, but didn't go any further

• 1Like
  • 1WTF

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

RIP
View attachment 419737
That fucking pillar would drive me nuts. But anyways, ya.. aint shit you can do if a fucking water line was hit.

I own a few condo's in a neighborhood not far from me. I go on vacation down to Key West and while we're out on the boat - I get a call from one of those condo's neighbors saying "Hey! My bathroom has been leaking all day while Ive been at work. You should probably go check your condo out!" ... Mother fucker... Just my luck, the fucking place is vacant. I call my stepdad up and he drives all the way into Lynchburg from where he lives with a ladder on his truck so he can climb up to the second floor and open the door (cause I swap the keys out because of renters all the fucking time). He gets in and sends me pictures of the place. The first floor had a thin layer of water spread from front to back, fucking up the carpet, the sheetrock, the wood floor, all of it. The basement? Worse than yours and was completely finished, too.

My stepdad is the one that got me started in the real estate / rental shit so he just automatically starts handling it. He called in Servpro and they literally gutted the bottom layer of sheetrock on the main floor, took all the carpet, all the wood flooring and some of the show furniture. The basement, they took all of the wood flooring, the bottom layer of some sheetrock and on the side of the leak, the entire wall of sheetrock and insulation. Come to find out after this that the separation between these condo's that were built in the 1970's - Kool Aid man could bust through the extra insulated walls and rob his neighbor with ease.

I pursued the neighbors insurance and got a check for 14k from them. Then pursued the Home Owners Association's insurance and got a check for 5k from them. Repaired everything (this is before the material market went nuts) for a cool 8k cause I had my own people fix it. Even with an outcome like this, I'm still upset that these condo's are using basically Trailer grade pipes.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Didn’t want Koushirou Koushirou to feel lonely….

Last night a capped sprinkler busted during its 3am cycle. It’s right below a window that I left open. Woke up to water all over the living room and down the hall. At least we wanted to replace the flooring. FML

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Want to start framing in my unfinished basement, but the question is should I use wood or metal studs? I think the biggest issue of metal studs is that they dont hold weight very well so cant hang cabinets from them. But not really sure I would ever be hanging cabinets or other heavy object down there. Just want to future proof if I ever want to I guess.
My house was built in the 80s and it has metal studs and I don't like them. I think wood would be so much easier to work with after dry wall has been put up. Then again, if I could see a full picture of what's behind my walls and actually understand what I working with it would help. That video that was posted was informative. I probably should watch some more on dealing with metal studs because they take some getting use too. There's one wall in my house that if you hit it just sounds hollow and flimsy. I don't know if the studs weren't secured right or what. I wouldn't be surprised if a major portion of the house was rebuilt back in the 90s also. Being the 5th owner of the house, I have discovered some very questionable things.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My house was built in the 80s and it has metal studs and I don't like them. I think wood would be so much easier to work with after dry wall has been put up. Then again, if I could see a full picture of what's behind my walls and actually understand what I working with it would help. That video that was posted was informative. I probably should watch some more on dealing with metal studs because they take some getting use too. There's one wall in my house that if you hit it just sounds hollow and flimsy. I don't know if the studs weren't secured right or what. I wouldn't be surprised if a major portion of the house was rebuilt back in the 90s also. Being the 5th owner of the house, I have discovered some very questionable things.
You could get a thermal camera and look at the walls with that to see where they all are. I’ve done this with low end cameras from work, so I’m assuming a decent flir you can attach to your smartphone would work but I’m not 100% sure. Get one from Amazon or something similar with easy return policy and give it a shot maybe.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I've worked with both, and for residential stuff I prefer wood.

I've had metal studs twist in the middle while the ends stayed aligned. I've always felt that they need to be 'stiffened' and people can probably guess how often that happens. Also, I've tried shooting self-tappers into the metal studs and had the open-edge roll/twist away which can be annoying AF. Having to use plastic grommets in the studs for romex, and having to use a stud punch, sucks. There's also a ton of different pieces of hardware that you have to use for electrical with metal studs.

Depending on the type of construction, you'll often use MC cable instead of romex, which can also be a PITA to pull through metal studs (there's some tricks, pull it in the 'correct' direction so it doesn't catch as bad,etc).

• 2Like

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well, the water feature just became the least of my problems.

Late last night my wife noticed a tiny bit of water on the floor of the basement. She thought she spilled some water, but when she was wiping it up she noticed that more water rose up from between the tiles when she pushed on them. We went into the neighboring room where the HVAC system is, and sure enough, water was leaking out of the AC unit, going under the wall, and into the other room.

The first problem is the broken AC, but we're going to have that looked at. The bigger problem is the basement floor. We started at the wall and began pulling up tiles that had water under them, working our way back from the source of the water. We ended up pulling up around 3/4s of the basement floor. The flooring was a really shitty, super thin linoleum tile sitting directly on the concrete foundation. I've been wanting to replace it, so I don't really care about ripping it all out.

A couple questions:
1. Is the black discoloration mold or just discoloration? There's never been an overly musty smell in the basement, and it doesn't feel like mold (though I've never touched black mold before). We had a mold test done when we moved in and it was fine.
2. What kind of flooring would you suggest I put down?

Obligatory pics:
View attachment 417248
View attachment 417249
View attachment 417250
Easiest way to tell if its mold or not is to put bleach into a spray bottle and spray it. If it starts to disappear after about 30 seconds to a minute, it's mold.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The new top is ready and will be shipped soon. They sent me photos today for my approval, I am so much happier with this versus what I originally received.

1657238209148.png

1657238228059.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The new top is ready and will be shipped soon. They sent me photos today for my approval, I am so much happier with this versus what I originally received.

View attachment 420869
View attachment 420870
I do agree that looks better. I "want" something like that with thats got that mix of electric etching and a fluorescent resin river for a desk. But the price tag makes me skiddish.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Like I said before it is the last desk I will ever buy and I will be sitting or standing at it almost everyday for the next 30 years.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Like I said before it is the last desk I will ever buy and I will be sitting or standing at it almost everyday for the next 30 years.
Another way to look at it is there’s no way in hell it’ll be any less expensive than it is now in the next 30 years lol

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just came home yesterday from vacay, just finished restocking my fridge... only i just went out to my deep freezer and its off. i don't believe the outlet is working, i have my pellet smoker connected to the same outlet and it doesn't turn on (i can't really test stuff now since it's night time), none of my fuses were tripped but i did lose power sometime during the week.

can a outlet just die?

i don't believe i saw a gfci connected to the circuit, but it could be i guess (both front and back porch outlets have no gfci)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
just came home yesterday from vacay, just finished restocking my fridge... only i just went out to my deep freezer and its off. i don't believe the outlet is working, i have my pellet smoker connected to the same outlet and it doesn't turn on (i can't really test stuff now since it's night time), none of my fuses were tripped but i did lose power sometime during the week.

can a outlet just die?
I had a GFCI that was outside and it was wired in circuit with other plugs in bedrooms down the wall of the house. Took me like a month to figure out that it was all fucked up wiring whomever put that GFCI outside. Rewired that shit and it worked like a charm. Might want to check if you have any GFCI that are wired all fucked up in your house.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I had a GFCI that was outside and it was wired in circuit with other plugs in bedrooms down the wall of the house. Took me like a month to figure out that it was all fucked up wiring whomever put that GFCI outside. Rewired that shit and it worked like a charm. Might want to check if you have any GFCI that are wired all fucked up in your house.
yea i'm checking all my gfci's now