Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Long story short. My yard is pretty much 75% shaded, and I get moss and lichen like crazy. I've started turning over my yard, removing all the moss and grass, and starting from scratch. Expensive, but worth it IMO. My yard today looks like a barren wasteland.

I expanded the sitting area this year. Had a couple get togethers and it was a little tight.

Now I need to find out the right mix of grass seed for shade and undrained rain.

Also, I replaced sections of my neighbors fence because they didn't "see" it (Behind their garage) so it didn't bother them. Was damn near leaning over 45 degrees! HTF you don't replace the WHOLE fence for a couple hundred more?

View attachment 463814View attachment 463815View attachment 463816
To the best of my knowledge, even the most shade tolerant grasses require four hours of sunlight per day. If there are areas that don’t get that, you’ll never get grass to grow there long term. Annual rye will grow on concrete so if you want SOMETHING to grow, you could go that route but you’ll probably need to constantly overseed it.

Alternatively, you can landscape the deep shaded areas.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
To the best of my knowledge, even the most shade tolerant grasses require four hours of sunlight per day. If there are areas that don’t get that, you’ll never get grass to grow there long term. Annual rye will grow on concrete so if you want SOMETHING to grow, you could go that route but you’ll probably need to constantly overseed it.

Alternatively, you can landscape the deep shaded areas.

Ya. The part of my yard that has no sunlight/won't grow grass I've conceded to the mulch gods.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
man, you got that one tree that is a thicc boi and is pretty rooty

I have two bigger trees on the side of my garage. My other neighbor and I got into it because her dumb ass hired a tree cutting service to cut major branches off (Like 2 feet in diameter) on MY side of the property. My tree bitch. Get your little Mexicans out of my yard before I put bullets in their asses. You're more than welcome to cut the overhang, but don't touch my tree. She then wanted reimbursement for her lost deposit! I laughed as I blew Cuban cigar smoke in her face...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have two bigger trees on the side of my garage. My other neighbor and I got into it because her dumb ass hired a tree cutting service to cut major branches off (Like 2 feet in diameter) on MY side of the property. My tree bitch. Get your little Mexicans out of my yard before I put bullets in their asses. You're more than welcome to cut the overhang, but don't touch my tree. She then wanted reimbursement for her lost deposit! I laughed as I blew Cuban cigar smoke in her face...
is she a lonely karen?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So I need to replace a 30x80 exterior door. Forwhatever reason, such doors do not exist within 100 miles of me. Link below is a good match for current damaged door, but it's obviously too wide. If this is indeed solid wood, do you guys think I could get away with cutting an inch off the stiles on each side?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I need to replace a 30x80 exterior door. Forwhatever reason, such doors do not exist within 100 miles of me. Link below is a good match for current damaged door, but it's obviously too wide. If this is indeed solid wood, do you guys think I could get away with cutting an inch off the stiles on each side?

i would be VERY cautious of where you put your lock/deadbolt and would actually recommend lower them to below the windows, that even midgets could use it comfortably

i don't see any other issue besides using shorter door hinge screws near the windows

Goatface

you might expose the dowel pins. this vid cut a lot of the board off and dowels are solid. depending on the door, there could be gap at the end of the dowel hole and would leave a hollow spot.
1679001787370.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Door is going to get painted anyway, so I'm not worried about exposed dowels. I can always use filler if it comes to that. Concerns noted and shared on hardware location. I'm going to give it a shot because all the specialty door places are charging $1000+ for anything comparable.

This is to replace a door for my landlord that I cut a hole in for my dog on the stupid assumption a replacement would be easy. Oops. =(

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Door is going to get painted anyway, so I'm not worried about exposed dowels. I can always use filler if it comes to that. Concerns noted and shared on hardware location. I'm going to give it a shot because all the specialty door places are charging $1000+ for anything comparable.

This is to replace a door for my landlord that I cut a hole in for my dog on the stupid assumption a replacement would be easy. Oops. =(
damn thats 315 for just slab, not even the frame kit is included, did you try asking if hd would special order it for you, if not delivery then to your close store and you pick up?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Long story short. My yard is pretty much 75% shaded, and I get moss and lichen like crazy. I've started turning over my yard, removing all the moss and grass, and starting from scratch. Expensive, but worth it IMO. My yard today looks like a barren wasteland.

I expanded the sitting area this year. Had a couple get togethers and it was a little tight.

Now I need to find out the right mix of grass seed for shade and undrained rain.

Also, I replaced sections of my neighbors fence because they didn't "see" it (Behind their garage) so it didn't bother them. Was damn near leaning over 45 degrees! HTF you don't replace the WHOLE fence for a couple hundred more?

I would have told you to raise the elevation of your lawn so your yard drains off into your neighbors - cause apparently theyre dicks and it doesnt matter anyways. Regardless - need to know what state / area you're in for the climate, the amount of traffic you expect to have (People stepping on grass a lot during BBQ's etc.), and how short/manicured you want the grass.

Know any handymen? Get a couple different ones to come over and see if they can enlarge the frame to fit a generic door first. No promises, but thats usually the go-to option. Not finding a speciality door or fucking up a good door altogether.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm not sure what thread this should go in. Could say it could go in the guns thread, home improvement, or woodworking. I'm gonna put it here, because I think it's most closely related to the project.

I am a member of a 275 member private outdoor gun range. The 10 yard and 25 yard pistol ranges both share a shooting shed, and are both basically in a "bowl" of earth. You go down to get to the shed, and the backstop and the barrier to the adjacent 50 yard range form essentially a soup bowl where water tends to collect in the spring and fall. Since it's outdoor, it's a lot of water. This means that for most of the spring and a good chunk of the fall, and any time it rains, the entire range is essentially mud. I wouldn't actually care about it, but, you've gotta go hang targets, and that's where the annoyance comes in, because if you're not wearing some pretty decent boots, you're in for a treat.

When I joined a couple years ago, I ripped a sheet of plywood in half and tossed that down as part of a walking path to the target hangers, but it was quickly swallowed by the mud, just literally vanished into the earth. I'm sure you could still find it pretty easy, but it's definitely not a walkway anymore. So, i proposed we build basically what amounts to a deck all the way down to the target line. I've gotten approval and the funding to construct the one for the 10 yard range, and based upon that, I'll probably get approval to do the 25 as well. My plan is pretty simple - I plan on using green treat 2x6s as a frame, and then green treat decking, and build 8' by 32" (so I can tri-sect a 8' piece) sections in my garage where I have all the power tools, then haul them down to the range to install them. The plan is to have this thing basically just be a boardwalk - it's only gonna be raised up off the ground high enough to be not in contact with the ground to stave off rot as much as possible. Of course, when you're a member of a 275 member range, everyone's got a fucking better idea than you have, and I'm kinda sick of it, because I'm the one doing the work here, so I don't really care what they think I should do. But, I can see the merit behind a pair of ideas here, and I'm looking for some more feedback.

This thing can't just lay on the ground, even if we leveled it all out with a bobcat or something, it would twist and warp and sink and rot and basically just be useless, so it's gotta be up on something. I had originally though about just getting an augur and digging post holes, drop in some 6x6's and a piece of concrete for a footing and calling it good. Probably dig a hole every 4 feet, so 6 per section. That seemed easy enough. But almost everyone I talk to seems to think that I can just get some landscaping pavers and lay the frame on there - just so it's enough off the ground for water to run under it, and the bottom not to rot. Level it out either with some shovels or with extra pavers (which are pretty fucking cheap). I gotta admit, that's a helluva lot easier than setting posts all day, but I can't help but think that's halfassing this a bit too much. But then I've got people saying that frost is gonna heave it if you put footings in anyway, so now I'm not sure what to think.

This is not gonna be your standard deck with a railing - more like a boardwalk. But it's gonna be rather large - the first section is 11 out to the target wire, and then 20' across it, so L shaped. The other side is gonna be 56' out to the wire, and another 16' across.

What thoughts do you guys have about it? I've never built a deck before - but I'm super excited to finally do a project that's not part of my fucking house -- and with someone else's fucking money!

First, dig a hole in the area that floods that is about 6'x6' and at least 4-6' deep. Then build your walkway and bury your posts by at least 3'. Dump 2 bags of concrete in, and you're ready to go. Nothing will move, the water will mostly disappear, and you'll not have to deal with mud.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It bothers me that you changed your avatar.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My handyman broke his foot this morning and the person I can call to finish the work needed wont be back from an out of town job for two more weeks.

The work is basically a pile of interior painting. Im going to pay one of my renters to help me with the fine details, but I need something thatll speed up the painting quite a bit from rollers. My brother and cousin suggested Graco, but I have no experience with one at all. Would any if you say that this is good enough for occasional (two big projects in the coming weeks, then I have no idea when the next time Ill use it.) My handyman swears by brushes and rollers. So it really will just be mine.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have an airless sprayer and have used it a fair amount. If you have a lot of area to cover, it speeds things up a LOT. Outdoors it's a no brainer. The downside is that the spray gets everywhere so if you're using it inside you need to do a lot more masking and you'll still be lucky to avoid getting paint somewhere you don't want it in a finished house. I used it inside when my house was stripped to the walls and the flooring was out. Got the primer done and painted the ceiling super fast. When it came to the walls though, I used rollers and brushes, and that was before I had flooring or trim, let alone furniture. Another issue is that it's a pretty significant job to clean the sprayer when you're done and if you don't do a good job of it the sprayer won't work next time you want to use it.

TL/DR - Paint sprayers have their place, but if you're just painting walls in a finished house the brushes and rollers are probably better, especially if you don't already have a sprayer.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My handyman broke his foot this morning and the person I can call to finish the work needed wont be back from an out of town job for two more weeks.

The work is basically a pile of interior painting. Im going to pay one of my renters to help me with the fine details, but I need something thatll speed up the painting quite a bit from rollers. My brother and cousin suggested Graco, but I have no experience with one at all. Would any if you say that this is good enough for occasional (two big projects in the coming weeks, then I have no idea when the next time Ill use it.) My handyman swears by brushes and rollers. So it really will just be mine.

i have this exact model, it is amazing.

i got it when i painted my whole house in ks, my realtor said it looked really nice, almost professional, but shes glad i didn't go w/ regular roller/brush (cuz she could tell when a noob does their paint to sell a house, i'm sure all realtors do)

if youre just doing interior paint, you don't have to worry about spray nozzles or anything, the one that comes w/ it is fine (you can change up nozzles for decking, ect)

a couple of tricks i picked up before i forget

you might want to buy/build a dolly (and flat plywood) to put it on
b6b31f8a4e242f66ee907ccc8837c286.png

i found it especially easy for me to just push it around as a nice paint station.

1 reason is, that i was working out of a 5gallon paint bucket, i used the big value paint for my garage so wheeling it around the walls and under the ceilings was easy, peasy.

or you can just get a really long hose too

speaking of ceilings, if you're gonna spray on a ceiling, you'll have to pick up an extension, i did a generic one, it worked fine
8d419f4de7609bf1bb8e02aac217ca21.jpg

imo, i really enjoyed painting my closets (i had to refurb my dungeon closets, its in this thread if you wanna take a look) and garage, b/c i didn't have to worry about taping off anything, i used this splatter shield

c9d7a5deeb69aee41e177ffbb313aade.png

heres how you would use the shield

oh and if you want to lift up, any overspray on hardware/cement drips or your water heater, a steamer gets that right out, yea i did it!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>

Everything Brutul mentioned is pretty spot on. There's a lot of prep to be done inside and it's much different when it's a house being built vs an existing and you have no experience. You can try what Lanx showed in the video but being a first timer I don't see it going too well. Seems Lanx did alright so ymmv.

There's the startup and cleanup part of it all too. If you were doing the outside and you screw up the 15 steps upon startup it's not the end of the world but inside becomes a different story when you still have water from priming and start to spray.

Another item is the the one you selected can't do primer with the largest tip it can use I'm pretty sure. Primer is too thick and it can't handle it. Have to go x7 and above if I remember correctly. That means you're still doing it with a roller. May be an option to 'thin' the primer or something. Don't know there.

They do make a roller for the Graco and it saves you from having fill up the paint roller in a pan and is more efficient.