Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You can try what Lanx showed in the video but being a first timer I don't see it going too well. Seems Lanx did alright so ymmv.
yea another tip i had was get a roller and brush handy. like even after my first practice sprays, i'd get drippy paint (everyone says practice on cardboard, but it just doesn't feel the same w/ drywall, so just go on the wall directly imo, if you fuck up, paint over it, lulz), so i just take a roller to soak up the drippy paint or paint splotch and spray again. (to get that fine paint spray texture)

imo if you want to practice spraying, get a sheet of drywall and stand it up veritcal (no angle) and practice.

heck you can even practice w/ the reject paint that walmart or hd has when it doesn't match right.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My handyman broke his foot this morning and the person I can call to finish the work needed wont be back from an out of town job for two more weeks.

The work is basically a pile of interior painting. Im going to pay one of my renters to help me with the fine details, but I need something thatll speed up the painting quite a bit from rollers. My brother and cousin suggested Graco, but I have no experience with one at all. Would any if you say that this is good enough for occasional (two big projects in the coming weeks, then I have no idea when the next time Ill use it.) My handyman swears by brushes and rollers. So it really will just be mine.

I found the one I bought back in 2014 (then found the original Amazon order) in my woodshop, nailed it first box. That's after a move to a new house and new shop, haven't touched it since 2014 lol. It is a Graco TrueCoat Plus II. Probably going to break it out and try to use it for the bed I'm making. To prime everything first and then do a coat of something.

The reason it hasn't been touched since then is because it was purchased to help us repaint a 2nd bedroom that was gigantic. We tried it once and it sprayed shit everywhere. Seemed way too much to be used indoors in a room so we packed it up and did the room by hand. Now, keeping in mind we had no idea what we were doing, 10 years ago I could barely use a hammer, and my patience was non-existent. Actually pretty eager to give it a shot now. I have a HVLP system that has been used since then but not for very much. My 5 gallon pancake compressor didn't seem to like it.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I found the one I bought back in 2014 (then found the original Amazon order) in my woodshop, nailed it first box. That's after a move to a new house and new shop, haven't touched it since 2014 lol. It is a Graco TrueCoat Plus II. Probably going to break it out and try to use it for the bed I'm making. To prime everything first and then do a coat of something.

The reason it hasn't been touched since then is because it was purchased to help us repaint a 2nd bedroom that was gigantic. We tried it once and it sprayed shit everywhere. Seemed way too much to be used indoors in a room so we packed it up and did the room by hand. Now, keeping in mind we had no idea what we were doing, 10 years ago I could barely use a hammer, and my patience was non-existent. Actually pretty eager to give it a shot now. I have a HVLP system that has been used since then but not for very much. My 5 gallon pancake compressor didn't seem to like it.
I bought the shield and a 20 inch extension to go along with it, then on top of that, a mask/goggles/suit/gloves. I full expect to paint the entirety of the place in one day when I get around to it. The Lowes guy said that it leaves an almost sand paper like surface which is the only thing Im unsure about.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well Houston, we have a problem!

I got the threshold and door frame ironed out. Had to make a trip to Lowe's for a new oscillating saw blade. Apparently the existing one had 80% of the teeth broken, obviously someone else's fault...

Kind of missed those two middle planks by about 1/16 but not too worried about it. Honestly wish I had brought it in a little closer to the stop and then cut back if needed, which is an obvious duh in hindsight. Stupid stuff like this that I don't do with wood but this is unfamiliar yet should be exactly the same. I do have a video on the threshold installation and it looks easy. Just need to cut the carpet back a bit.

1679164688462.png

Back to the problem though! Yep... 1" on the last row to the baseboard. I was able to knock that down just a tad by shifting the whole floor so there's maybe 7/8" now. The quarter round is 11/16 so I'm thinking maybe with a bead of silicon it'll work out.

1679164873472.png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Why not just trim two complete boards a hair

I could rip the row on the other side of the room 50% and try to knock the whole floor over enough to squeeze a half row on that side. Just not sure how easy it would be to shift the entire floor at this point. Maybe easy.

My other idea was to remove the baseboards on that wall and just lay that side of the plank under them. There'd still be enough expansion under the baseboard and I wouldn't nail the plank to the board so it would still be floating. The only reason I didn't remove the baseboards to begin with was laziness. But that extra 1/4 or so may help. But it still may show a slight seam running along the quarter round and really draw attention to anything being slightly non-parallel and straight.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just ended up ripping the one end in half and relaying the whole floor this morning. Seemed the right thing to do and the 2nd time around it went super quick. Now I have about 70% left and it should work out perfect.

1679248147785.png

Daidraco

Thats a hell of a gap between the flooring and the threshold transition. You're bringing the carpet in that far? Do you have enough carpet to do that? Pics when you're finished - I want to see how you did that.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Thats a hell of a gap between the flooring and the threshold transition. You're bringing the carpet in that far? Do you have enough carpet to do that? Pics when you're finished - I want to see how you did that.

Yeah I didn't take a new picture of that after going back and redoing everything. I moved it up so that it is closer to the below. Was more focused on the wall than the threshold since that was just putting a few longer pieces in.

1679279262934.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Fuck plumbers. Guy just quoted me $11k for roughing in plumbing on my bathroom remodel. Moving sink, shower, toilet in a room that's already demoed with walls exposed. Wtf, if you don't want the work just say you're busy.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Fuck plumbers. Guy just quoted me $11k for roughing in plumbing on my bathroom remodel. Moving sink, shower, toilet in a room that's already demoed with walls exposed. Wtf, if you don't want the work just say you're busy.
My stepfather just bought a 2 story condo with a basement to rent out, 2 and a 1/2 baths. Turns out it had Quest pipe in it. Insurance company wouldnt insure the condo with Quest pipe there. If they insured the condo, they would be the cheapest company by a huge margin. My stepdad got his friend, a black man named Tyrone (jokes aside) with the nickname Grasshopper (I know, why not Cricket) and they replaced all the pipe in the Condo in just a few hours. Then roughed in the sheetrock they cut out to get to said pipe. I cant imagine someone quoting my stepdad that shit and being serious.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Jesus. I thought it was an outrage when someone here said they would want $4500 to rough in a bathroom. How can you justify a price like that for a job that will take one guy half a day with a couple hundred bucks in materials?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I used to give high quotes for some of the work I do. It's a giant hint I'm not interested, quit asking me for a price. If they complained they could get it cheaper elsewhere I told "good you should call them".

Lot of guys never ever look at the job, they call around and find out what someone else is bidding and add a certain percentage to it to make sure they don't get it and make it look like they looked at it. The "keep sending me stuff for quotes bid, but I won't touch this one with a 100 foot pole bid".

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to give high quotes for some of the work I do. It's a giant hint I'm not interested, quit asking me for a price. If they complained they could get it cheaper elsewhere I told "good you should call them".

Lot of guys never ever look at the job, they call around and find out what someone else is bidding and add a certain percentage to it to make sure they don't get it and make it look like they looked at it. The "keep sending me stuff for quotes bid, but I won't touch this one with a 100 foot pole bid".

Wtf is the point of that game? Just say no, or you're too busy.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Wtf is the point of that game? Just say no, or you're too busy.
I agree. I might call you again if you're just busy. If I think you're ridiculously overpriced I ain't calling again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think the point is that there are knuckleheads out there who will hire them at that price. So they throw out a number that turns it from "I don't need a job this small with my current backlog of work" into "Well I'll do it if you're willing to pay me a king's ransom"

• 1Truth!

Daidraco

I think the point is that there are knuckleheads out there who will hire them at that price. So they throw out a number that turns it from "I don't need a job this small with my current backlog of work" into "Well I'll do it if you're willing to pay me a king's ransom"
From what Ive seen, his first inclination is correct in that the contractor probably just didnt want the job. Sort of like that price guide a Mechanic uses for customers.

689c6171b2a03ed33f3a025c13e17cbb.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea, I'm saying the same thing. Doesn't want the job, unless you are a fool and will pay him an exorbitant amount of money, then he'll do it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
squirrel update:
no noise for a few weeks
1. put urine pellets (the urine of bears?) in containers (so i can easily remove)
2. put mothballs (in bagged form)
3. laid out 2 caged traps (no bites) w/ gobs of peanut butter
4. 2 high power 50w strobe lights
5. 2 "sonic" repellers

i also capped a mutherfucker and left him on my backyard as a warning!

also that bird house has been empty ever since

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
squirrel update:
no noise for a few weeks
1. put urine pellets (the urine of bears?) in containers (so i can easily remove)
2. put mothballs (in bagged form)
3. laid out 2 caged traps (no bites) w/ gobs of peanut butter
4. 2 high power 50w strobe lights
5. 2 "sonic" repellers

i also capped a mutherfucker and left him on my backyard as a warning!

also that bird house has been empty ever since
capped another bitch, i think i should start throwing them out b4 ppl noticing my pet cemetary

but man, something is weird w/ my backyard squirrels, they are fucking skiddish, i take 1 step on my porch and they pounce and hop from tree to tree to the other houses. but when i walk around the hood, they practically come to my feet