Home Improvement

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Twice I’ve replaced a microwave above a range with a built in vent and both times it has been far more of a pain in the ass than the $200 or whatever the microwave cost.

Daidraco Daidraco finally used my Project Painter+ today. Primed all the parts of the bed I built for our son and got a coat of the final color on. Man I really like this thing. Wouldn’t use it for small projects because the set up and clean up is kind of a PITA but for something this size and larger it is awesome. Surface prep was a little lazy bc I’m rushing to get it finished before he and mom come back on Sunday. Other than that and the small learning curve no complaints at all. I did order a smaller tip that should be here tomorrow as well as a 4ft whip since that hose is annoying.

Shitty picture as pieces are drying in my garage. Probably going to spend tomorrow on assembly. Need to find some drawer pulls and hinges. Looking at 5yr old kiddo drawer pull ideas so it doesn’t feel so old.

BDBDA013-6A78-46B4-A450-B7F153A3956D.jpeg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Was just able to get to this today. Wife and kid are visiting her mom until Sunday so I took 3 days off to work on home projects. I'm pitiful at cutting the edge of carpet apparently. Not actually sure how to get it to look better lol.

I added a tack strip at the edge to keep the carpet secure. With the door closed there's a slight overhang of the transition. The main reason I did it like this is because in both bathrooms the carpet extends the same amount. I did undercut the door stop instead of trying to barely notch the corner of the transition, which may have been a mistake, but whatever.

Got the quarter round in but didn't want to overdo it my first day so stopped lol.

Regarding the paint sprayer: The Truecoat Plus that I found in storage wouldn't pass any paint at all. Could feel the pump trying to draw from the cup but nothing would come out at all. Tried everything I could think of to unclog it. Best I can figure is after using it 10 years ago it was never cleaned, thrown in a box, and sat there. Said screw it and got a Truecoat 360 from Lowes that should have been ready for pickup today but they "can't find it." If they can't find it tomorrow I'll have them exchange it for a Project Painter Plus. Almost stepped up to the X5 just because but decided not to be stupid.

View attachment 468777

One possibility that might make you happier is find a wider threshold, and one that is intended for a change in height. Not like tile to cement, just a small height transition. That would give you the ability to put the threshold over the leading edge of the carpet and the laminate.

But really it looks fine. If your inlaws come and bitch about them, slap them in the face with your penis.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Twice I’ve replaced a microwave above a range with a built in vent and both times it has been far more of a pain in the ass than the $200 or whatever the microwave cost.

Daidraco Daidraco finally used my Project Painter+ today. Primed all the parts of the bed I built for our son and got a coat of the final color on. Man I really like this thing. Wouldn’t use it for small projects because the set up and clean up is kind of a PITA but for something this size and larger it is awesome. Surface prep was a little lazy bc I’m rushing to get it finished before he and mom come back on Sunday. Other than that and the small learning curve no complaints at all. I did order a smaller tip that should be here tomorrow as well as a 4ft whip since that hose is annoying.

Shitty picture as pieces are drying in my garage. Probably going to spend tomorrow on assembly. Need to find some drawer pulls and hinges. Looking at 5yr old kiddo drawer pull ideas so it doesn’t feel so old.

View attachment 469147
wait till you touch the cabs when they dry, that spray texture feels so much nicer than a roller

oh yea that reminds me, i too spray the basement kitchen counter in the old house. it was wrecked w/ water damage so i too out the drawers and went ham on the trigger

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wow, replacing an old over-the-stove microwave with a new range hood turned into the most ridiculous project. Turns out whatever idiot put up the microwave (aka my dumbass parents) didn't line up the exhaust vent at all, so I had to shorten the cabinets and redo all the electrical, paint half the kitchen, blah blah. And of course I had to do this on a day it was 93 degrees in early April in Rhode Island and now I feel like I'm going to die.
Those over the stove microwave vents dont work worth a fuck in my opinion. If I would have had any trouble at all, I would have plugged the vent stack and turned the blower motor inside of the microwave towards the front. My old place had one that was vented properly and it still let food smells linger, smoke wasnt vented quickly enough, etc. Where as now, I have a true hood vent and its a night and day difference.
PhotoContest-2019-09-RyanKupres-ProVL-3.jpg

wait till you touch the cabs when they dry, that spray texture feels so much nicer than a roller

oh yea that reminds me, i too spray the basement kitchen counter in the old house. it was wrecked w/ water damage so i too out the drawers and went ham on the trigger
I noticed a hell of a difference on the chair rails etc. inside the rooms I used my Graco. The final room was the kitchen, and what took all of 30 seconds to blast over with the air sprayer and be done - I had to put three coats on after sanding it down. Paint Sprayer's are the bee's knee's in my book. But like Intrinsic Intrinsic is complaining about - I'd rather pay someone to do it at this point just so I dont have to spend 30 minutes cycling mineral through the lines and brushing off the parts.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Wow, replacing an old over-the-stove microwave with a new range hood turned into the most ridiculous project. Turns out whatever idiot put up the microwave (aka my dumbass parents) didn't line up the exhaust vent at all, so I had to shorten the cabinets and redo all the electrical, paint half the kitchen, blah blah. And of course I had to do this on a day it was 93 degrees in early April in Rhode Island and now I feel like I'm going to die.

i've learned that whatever the home/landscape/ranch project, double the amount of time you'll think it will take, then triple it

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
i've learned that whatever the home/landscape/ranch project, double the amount of time you'll think it will take, then triple it
The time wasn't the problem, though it was annoying. Going from 55 degrees to 93 degrees in the span of 2 days was the problem. And I was too stubborn to run the new AC while going in and out and with an open duct in the wall.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if there’s a better thread, but went to do our first mow for the year, husband does one line of grass, the mower stops and now it refuses to start up again. We have one of the 40v Ryobi electric mowers. Checked all the batteries, they’re charged and our other tools work with the batteries, just not the mower. Anyone else have one and have this happens before? Thing’s done one summer/fall worth of mowing, there’s no way this shit should be busted already.

Also, how the fuck do I get my damn grass seed to germinate? Had no luck in fall last year, spread another bunch two weeks ago before we got some decent rain. Nothing.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Not sure if there’s a better thread, but went to do our first mow for the year, husband does one line of grass, the mower stops and now it refuses to start up again. We have one of the 40v Ryobi electric mowers. Checked all the batteries, they’re charged and our other tools work with the batteries, just not the mower. Anyone else have one and have this happens before? Thing’s done one summer/fall worth of mowing, there’s no way this shit should be busted already.

Also, how the fuck do I get my damn grass seed to germinate? Had no luck in fall last year, spread another bunch two weeks ago before we got some decent rain. Nothing.
How often are you watering the seed?

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I’ve been letting nature do it’s thing with it, which I’m guessing means I’m an idiot and just not watering enough.
With seed you should be watering twice a day until it germinates. You want to keep the top two inches of soil moist.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

this is gonna sound weird but try recharging the batteries on the charger again to full.

1 of my 40v batteries sometimes conks out if not used for a while, full charge the battery indicators just blink, charging resets it, (idk why).

also if you have a dual battery mower, make sure the red battery key is fully inserted, or actually take out key and switch the battery slot then, usually unplug and plug back in, like modem reset.

do you have a led light on the mower? (like a mower headlight) did it come on or not?

some ryobi mowers need to have the mulching plug in it to work, theres a sensor so you gotta shove it in and make a click.

some need the handles fully extended to work.

*edit now that i remember i think you have the model above mine.

yea that one almost turns on w/o a though, just make sure key is in and batterys are slammed on, even when you lift the handle up, the led's turn on

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
this is gonna sound weird but try recharging the batteries on the charger again to full.

1 of my 40v batteries sometimes conks out if not used for a while, full charge the battery indicators just blink, charging resets it, (idk why).

also if you have a dual battery mower, make sure the red battery key is fully inserted, or actually take out key and switch the battery slot then, usually unplug and plug back in, like modem reset.

do you have a led light on the mower? (like a mower headlight) did it come on or not?

some ryobi mowers need to have the mulching plug in it to work, theres a sensor so you gotta shove it in and make a click.

some need the handles fully extended to work.

*edit now that i remember i think you have the model above mine.

yea that one almost turns on w/o a though, just make sure key is in and batterys are slammed on, even when you lift the handle up, the led's turn on

Yeah made sure the handle is locked, the key is in. Tried batteries in both slots, each slot individually, the headlight didn’t come on, put the side slot on, tried with the bag. Haven’t tried the mulching plug, yet, so I’ll give that a shot tomorrow. The batteries were charged but we’ll give them another juice tonight and try again. When inserting the key, the two middle lights on the batteries would flash. Same batteries work in the leaf blower though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah made sure the handle is locked, the key is in. Tried batteries in both slots, each slot individually, the headlight didn’t come on, put the side slot on, tried with the bag. Haven’t tried the mulching plug, yet, so I’ll give that a shot tomorrow. The batteries were charged but we’ll give them another juice tonight and try again. When inserting the key, the two middle lights on the batteries would flash. Same batteries work in the leaf blower though.
i double checked my mower, the led actually comes on when you engage the safety bar (the huge yellow switches/lever)

so if that doesn't happen, something isn't clicking

also make sure it spins and not binded, important, unplug the safety switch, make it upright and the blades should spin freely counterclock wise (sharp side is on the left, wear gloves)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the key is just a big jumper pin, heck if you insert the key w/ batteries in, you'll see a spark, lulz i did.

but are you saying, the two middle leds flash, basically led 2 and led 3?

i've researched and that means it overheated
1. was the mower left out in the sun and it heated up?
2. was the deck low or high?, you said it was your first mow of the year, so the deck should be high.
3. have you checked your mower blades? this is how you can tell if your blades need to be sharpened
5cd81746391427504912d3f54e3760e4.png

i have upgraded my mower to the same crosscut blades you have and it is really night and day in the cut speed, however you want to make sure your blades are sharp to ensure youre not taxing the motor too much.

the ryobi blades are light and soft(metal) and easy to sharpen, i can't tell you when to sharpen your blades cuz i have ocd and i sharpen em everytime i take out the mower.