Home Improvement

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
the key is just a big jumper pin, heck if you insert the key w/ batteries in, you'll see a spark, lulz i did.

but are you saying, the two middle leds flash, basically led 2 and led 3?

i've researched and that means it overheated
1. was the mower left out in the sun and it heated up?
2. was the deck low or high?, you said it was your first mow of the year, so the deck should be high.
3. have you checked your mower blades? this is how you can tell if your blades need to be sharpened
5cd81746391427504912d3f54e3760e4.png

i have upgraded my mower to the same crosscut blades you have and it is really night and day in the cut speed, however you want to make sure your blades are sharp to ensure youre not taxing the motor too much.

the ryobi blades are light and soft(metal) and easy to sharpen, i can't tell you when to sharpen your blades cuz i have ocd and i sharpen em everytime i take out the mower.

Had the deck high, I checked the blades a tiny bit and they didn’t seem stuck, checked the small bit of grass that did get cut, and it looks pretty clean. Mower’s been stored in the garage this whole time and yesterday was only 60 degrees, so I can’t imagine it overheating in that. And yes, LED two and three.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Had the deck high, I checked the blades a tiny bit and they didn’t seem stuck, checked the small bit of grass that did get cut, and it looks pretty clean. Mower’s been stored in the garage this whole time and yesterday was only 60 degrees, so I can’t imagine it overheating in that. And yes, LED two and three.
yea try reinserting batteries next time and note if any led's light up again.

for reference (since i went on a spree)

led 1 and 4 is overcurrent

kinda funny youre having ryobi issues and i keep on burying more of their shit
c786f76b52e00d8bf405b0919ee9ed31.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I don’t know if this is true for Ryobi batteries but even “fully charged” Dewalt batteries need to be charged for a while before using them if they haven’t been used for a while (several weeks/months). The internal load balancer will continuously drain one cell and by the time you use the battery again that cell may actually be completely drained. The battery will show the overall capacity is high/charged, but if the load balancer isn’t operating correctly, the cells may be discharged below the minimum threshold. Lithium ion cells that are allowed to discharge below that threshold are permanently ruined.

Again, I don’t know if this is true for Ryobi batteries, but I caught a video a few months back warning folks about this for Dewalt batteries.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Man.. I dont mow my own grass cause thats an hour of my life a week I would rather use sitting on my ass instead. But if I ever have to go back to mowing my own, the fuck if Im buying an electric lawn mower. A gas mower you can least diagnose pretty easy. Sounds like that Ryobi needs to go to the shop for them to tell you its something stupid like "Fuse Key is blown" or "Safety latch is malfunctioning."

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Welp. I've arrived at the stage of life where I'm excited about a sink. I cut an opening into my countertop to take a 33'' farmhouse sink. Polishing the granite edges was a major PITA, but worth it. This thing is fucking great, best improvement ever. (Yes, this pic is before I hooked up the disposer and drain. It's been in for a month or so.)

Clipboard01.jpg

Edit: Previous bullshit sink:

1682908659280.png

Last edited:
  • 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
While it's true that you can troubleshoot a lot more things on a gas mower, the electric one has far fewer moving parts for things to go wrong with. No bad gas, no clogged fuel filter, no clogged carburetor, no badly adjusted carburetor, no clogged air filter, no fouled spark plug, no broken carburetor linkage, no running out of engine oil. It's pretty much just a battery, an electric motor, and a switch. If they can't make that reliable then they should try harder.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Man.. I dont mow my own grass cause thats an hour of my life a week I would rather use sitting on my ass instead. But if I ever have to go back to mowing my own, the fuck if Im buying an electric lawn mower. A gas mower you can least diagnose pretty easy. Sounds like that Ryobi needs to go to the shop for them to tell you its something stupid like "Fuse Key is blown" or "Safety latch is malfunctioning."

My gas mower wouldn't start 1st mow of the seasons last weekend. Couple of squirts of brake cleaner in the intake and it lit up immediately. Panicked for about half a second.

Yeah but it is a similar "get off my lawn" argument about classic vs. modern cars and the ability for an individual to diagnose and repair those issues. All those things you listed you can diagnose yourself with a little YouTube or a dad that is just not-so-sober long enough to teach you a thing or two. I do like my Ego electric stuff also.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My gas mower wouldn't start 1st mow of the seasons last weekend. Couple of squirts of brake cleaner in the intake and it lit up immediately. Panicked for about half a second.

Yeah but it is a similar "get off my lawn" argument about classic vs. modern cars and the ability for an individual to diagnose and repair those issues. All those things you listed you can diagnose yourself with a little YouTube or a dad that is just not-so-sober long enough to teach you a thing or two. I do like my Ego electric stuff also.
Not to be “that guy” but brake clean will tear up your pistons. I encourage you to grab a can of starter fluid for times like this.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not to be “that guy” but brake clean will tear up your pistons. I encourage you to grab a can of starter fluid for times like this.

It actually was, haha, checked the can. Think I got used to hearing Vice Grip Garage guy say break cleaner.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You should gather your paperwork on the land, and the rights granted to the gas company and talk to a real estate lawyer for an hour of his time. (Go to your districts courthouse and ask where property deeds are located and they'll tell you its there, the assessors office, or the county clerks.) As in - @BrutalTM hit the nail on the head with this part. The Lawyer will help you out tremendously in this area and give you your next steps. As the field tech that you talked to has no idea about the particulars of each and every property.

What will most likely happen is the lawyer will direct you to someone in your area that will try to give you a reason the land is experiencing subsidence. With that survey in one hand, and a lawyer saying its covered in the other hand, then you should be protected from receiving a bill regarding the work in the event the city decides they want to charge you for it. (Which most of the time, they'll do their best to slide it to the homeowner. But if you come prepared with the above - it makes it real hard to dispute and that lawyer is just itching to go to court in that scenario.)

In reality - fat chance you'll get anything, but the Lawyer will give you the best judgement call.

Just as a small update. I located the plat drawing online and for comparison there's the satellite view (no idea why it puts Holmes Dr as that is not my street. Don't dox me bro).

Also spoke with a local property attorney for about 45 minutes on the phone. Real nice guy and gave me some good advice as far as which records to pull and attachments to my paperwork, etc. He pretty much admitted it was a toss up and whether it would be worth the effort to pursue. So, in line with my and our thoughts on the subject. He did make a recommendation for an engineer to come out and take a look and see if we want to do a geotech. Spoke to that guy on the phone today and we'll probably try to schedule something for next weekend since this coming up weekend is booked for me.

Anyways, still not something that I'm pushing hard on. Just sort of background conversations as time allows. No expectations that it goes anywhere but will keep y'all updated.

1681922654985.png
1681922740517.png

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’ve gotten a few things off this website for cheep. It’s either reconditioned or scratch and dent.

only buy from directtools when theres a coupon, don't forget to factor in the $15 shipping.

sometimes they are NOT the best price, case in point

this vac i'm getting from home depot
6976b368a1f7121a1dd6e8855900ca81.png

is 240 on directtools and you still gotta schelp 15bucks for shipping.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
only buy from directtools when theres a coupon, don't forget to factor in the $15 shipping.

sometimes they are NOT the best price, case in point

this vac i'm getting from home depot
6976b368a1f7121a1dd6e8855900ca81.png

is 240 on directtools and you still gotta schelp 15bucks for shipping.
Yeah I made the mistake of ordering a cordless circ saw last night without checking HD price first. Direct tools was actually $20 more. Not the most expensive lesson I’ve had, but I definitely felt silly for not checking BEFORE I ordered it.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
lol my bad. Yeah it has great deals but on some HD beats it. I also check slickdeals.net for stuff

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
lol my bad. Yeah it has great deals but on some HD beats it. I also check slickdeals.net for stuff
yea when it's homedepot ryobi days, they can't be beat anywhere, i'm ashamed at the amount of ryobi shit hanging on my wall

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
My wife bought a $600 Ryobi push lawnmower yesterday which I wasn't too happy about. She also got a Ryobi edge trimmer for $200, so altogether it was over $800 to mow grass.

This is the one she got from Amazon

2 questions.

1. Are these electric lawnmowers by Ryobi generally good or shit? Are electric lawnmowers generally worse or better compared to the gas powered ones?

2. Do these ever go on sale during Ryobi days (which I think are coming up in 2-3 weeks)? I looked through some Home Depot flyers from 2022 and 2021 and it looks like most of lawncare equipment goes on sale except lawnmowers, but I could be wrong.

All my stuff is Ryobi so I'm already in their battery "ecosystem".

I'm mildly salty about paying almost a grand for lawncare equipment that will make me do an additional 2-3 hours of yardwork every other week so I'm trying to figure out whether to make her return this shit. Right now I just pay a guy $50 every 2-3 weeks to come out and mow my 0.25 acres of grass.

• 1Worf

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
My wife bought a $600 Ryobi push lawnmower yesterday which I wasn't too happy about. She also got a Ryobi edge trimmer for $200, so altogether it was over $800 to mow grass.

2 questions.

1. Are these electric lawnmowers by Ryobi generally good or shit? Are electric lawnmowers generally worse or better compared to the gas powered ones?

2. Do these ever go on sale during Ryobi days (which I think are coming up in 2-3 weeks)? I looked through some Home Depot flyers from 2022 and 2021 and it looks like most of lawncare equipment goes on sale except lawnmowers, but I could be wrong.

I'm mildly salty about paying almost a grand for lawncare equipment that will make me do an additional 2-3 hours of yardwork every other week so I'm trying to figure out whether to make her return this shit. Right now I just pay a guy $50 every 2-3 weeks to come out and mow my 0.25 acres of grass.
That price seems rather high. Home depot currently has what looks like the equivalent except for color for 500 and not on sale.

You could definitely go a lot cheaper than that as well since self propelled is sort of a waste in my opinion - these things are so light there's no point. This would put you at nearly half that price:

I can't speak to Ryobi mowers specifically, but I've been using a battery mower (Greenworks) for about 10 years now on about 0.25 acres and would never go back to gas. The complete lack of maintenance required (outside of blades) and vastly reduced noise are too big of a benefit.

By the way, battery ecosystem I would consider to be less selling point unless you actually have some 40V packs, in which case I would definitely stick to it - you could also just buy the tool sans battery at that point.

All that said, it's your free time. If it's something you won't enjoy and you can afford it, return that shit. I personally kind of enjoy the task.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
IRight now I just pay a guy $50 every 2-3 weeks to come out and mow my 0.25 acres of grass.
"This is the way" - if you include all the costs of the lawn equipment, its maintenance, and fuel - THEN - include the time it takes (which should be somewhere around 14 times a year, with 7 of those including fertilizing and possibly aerating (using Virginia as a reference) it just makes sense to have someone else do it.

I pay 90 bucks every two weeks, 110 every month end for fertilizer, and 275 once a season for them to do the mulch and aerate (each totals a session). They bust out my lawn and my flower gardens in 30 minutes or less and it all looks professional (and Im a fan of the patterns). ~$1475 a year sounds like a lot until I looked at the math of 14 sessions of doing myself at around 3-4 hours per.

I get it, if you cant get more hours at work.. or you cant land that next sell or w/e your business does - ya.. sure, save your money. But Im almost positive that if you spent around the same as me, or less, then you can make that money back over the year with just an extra few minutes a week at work or something and be much happier than the dude breathing in dust, emptying clippings, burning debri, and all the other BS that goes along with it. Not to mention, have a gorgeous yard that your neighbors envy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

2 questions.

i would return both if i were you

1. amazon is the worst place to buy ryobi products, it's all 3rd party w/ markups

your model mower is the older 40v

the newer 40v ones (that ppl say are actually good)
are the 40v HP

like the first 3
32efe245d919cd05d39a20dab3632ba9.png

the non hp is generally either an older model or the budget (yea even tho ryobi is budget anyway) version

was the trimmer also 40v and part of the expandit line?
2dfc194a025855ce0d09d7dbcd4f9e46.png

or was it their 18v trimmer only model

anyway i've had my ryobi mower for a year and love it more than gas or corded, idk how Koushirou Koushirou feels, she never gave an update!!!