Home Improvement

Haus

<Silver Donator>
That could contribute a lot. Are people taking showers in those bathrooms? Maybe consider having vents installed. Bound to be cheaper in the long run than dehumidifiers.
There are only two of us living here. I take one shower a day. Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus is a bath person instead. approximately a 2600 sq ft house. (actually around 3k sq ft now with the patio being a finished room)

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
There are only two of us living here. I take one shower a day. Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus is a bath person instead. approximately a 2600 sq ft house. (actually around 3k sq ft now with the patio being a finished room)
Are you on a slab or over a crawlspace? Plumbing leak underneath evaporating up?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Are you on a slab or over a crawlspace? Plumbing leak underneath evaporating up?
I do fear that. Slab foundation, although no inordinate creep up in the water bill. A lot of houses in my neighborhood have had to have the drains and sewer lines completely redone. Hoping that's not next up for this house, as we just dropped out "house stuff planned funding" for the year on various projects.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So drywall. On the continuum of making things actually flat vs looking flat, what's the consensus?

I did a first skim coat on the ceiling and it turned out OK except for a few areas I will touch up in the second pass.

But ultimately it's not really flat. I realize that taping butt joints means that you have those rolling feathered in undulations in any surface, and a good drywaller should get it thin enough to simply look flat when it isn't.

My woodworking lizard brain has difficulty assessing this concept of just "looking good enough" as a success though, and mud is not forgiving with work time when doing a skim coat. I would appreciate any guidance by more experience drywallers.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So drywall. On the continuum of making things actually flat vs looking flat, what's the consensus?

I did a first skim coat on the ceiling and it turned out OK except for a few areas I will touch up in the second pass.

But ultimately it's not really flat. I realize that taping butt joints means that you have those rolling feathered in undulations in any surface, and a good drywaller should get it thin enough to simply look flat when it isn't.

My woodworking lizard brain has difficulty assessing this concept of just "looking good enough" as a success though, and mud is not forgiving with work time when doing a skim coat. I would appreciate any guidance by more experience drywallers.
Look up "Level 5" Drywall techniques and see if thats really something you want to do. I personally.. dont think its worth the time/effort/money. But I understand and relate to what you're saying when you want something perfect.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Look up "Level 5" Drywall techniques and see if thats really something you want to do. I personally.. dont think its worth the time/effort/money. But I understand and relate to what you're saying when you want something perfect.
Well I'm removing texture and wallpaper on these walls so skim coat is necessary to fix imperfections, not something I wanted per se.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

this is cute

tho my previous house i also had my pantry adjoining my garage and when i cut open a hole to put in my wall safe i found out it was insulated, so maybe the wall partitioning the garage needs to be insulated

but my current home the home partitioning the garage (leads to kitchen) there is no insulation, i know b/c the previous owner cut an acess hole for some unknown reason that befuddles me.

Captain Suave

this is cute

tho my previous house i also had my pantry adjoining my garage and when i cut open a hole to put in my wall safe i found out it was insulated, so maybe the wall partitioning the garage needs to be insulated

but my current home the home partitioning the garage (leads to kitchen) there is no insulation, i know b/c the previous owner cut an acess hole for some unknown reason that befuddles me.

Yeah, you can't do this in most places I've lived in because the wall between the garage and the main house needs to be a fire break. I guess you might be able to put in a special door?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, you can't do this in most places I've lived in because the wall between the garage and the main house needs to be a fire break. I guess you might be able to put in a special door?
is a fire break the same as putting the horizontal wood on the studs so fire doesn't burn up so fast?
c3cb1e0fbe39d326f0bb409b586d4392.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

is a fire break the same as putting the horizontal wood on the studs so fire doesn't burn up so fast?
c3cb1e0fbe39d326f0bb409b586d4392.png

That's standard fire blocking to delay flames getting to the attic/upper stories, but not what I meant. My understanding is interior garage walls need to be made of a material than can delay, say, a vehicle fire, from infiltrating the main structure, and be free of even small compromises.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Want to get a floodlight/camera for over my garage but I don’t have any kind of hardwiring up there. Am I able to just pull one of the light fixtures on either side of the garage off and just use whatever wiring is there for it, assuming there’s a junction box for the lights?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Want to get a floodlight/camera for over my garage but I don’t have any kind of hardwiring up there. Am I able to just pull one of the light fixtures on either side of the garage off and just use whatever wiring is there for it, assuming there’s a junction box for the lights?
There is also the Ring floodlight camera that can go lithium battery power. I used them for years and like them. They can go battery power or solar to recharge the battery.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
There is also the Ring floodlight camera that can go lithium battery power. I used them for years and like them. They can go battery power or solar to recharge the battery.

Yeah, was hoping Wyze would have something battery/solar like this, but they only have it on the small cams currently. Not sure if it’s paranoia or not, but I don’t really want to touch any of the Ring stuff (though I imagine just about any of these companies are scummy on the privacy stuff).

• 1Like

Daidraco

Yep. I have the Ring Stick Up w/ Solar option. It only has night vision and daytime surveillance options, as thats all I really wanted on the corners of the house. But I know that Ring has some really strong flood light / camera models and the solar panels vary in size. You can check them out at Best Buy if one is close to you. My Lowes and Home Depot have shit for selection. You're gonna have to order from Amazon or Ring itself to get some of the models, or combo packs as the box stores dont even carry most of them.

Outside of that - I cant recall if its this thread or not - but Lanx Lanx , at least I think he was involved in the discussion about other cameras. Something more sophisticated than Ring, Nest, Arlo etc.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Yeah, was hoping Wyze would have something battery/solar like this, but they only have it on the small cams currently. Not sure if it’s paranoia or not, but I don’t really want to touch any of the Ring stuff (though I imagine just about any of these companies are scummy on the privacy stuff).
I 100% agree on the privacy thing which Is why I only used Ring products on the outside of the house. if Bezos wants to spy on my dogs pooping in the backyard during the day then more power to him.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yep. I have the Ring Stick Up w/ Solar option. It only has night vision and daytime surveillance options, as thats all I really wanted on the corners of the house. But I know that Ring has some really strong flood light / camera models and the solar panels vary in size. You can check them out at Best Buy if one is close to you. My Lowes and Home Depot have shit for selection. You're gonna have to order from Amazon or Ring itself to get some of the models, or combo packs as the box stores dont even carry most of them.

Outside of that - I cant recall if its this thread or not - but Lanx Lanx , at least I think he was involved in the discussion about other cameras. Something more sophisticated than Ring, Nest, Arlo etc.
i'm using all wyze v3 connected to a 20k mah battery bank, powered by notebook sized solar in my backyard (b/c it's impossible to reach the 2nd floor to wire, and i have security lights but they are not usually turned on, so i can't grab power from that)

i do have this to draw power from sockets where i put lights (extra 1 in front door/garage flood)
81pxW0NbqGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

wyze has made newer cams w/ built in batteries i'd probably upgrade if i wasn't so lazy

honestly i'd still rather have poe wired cams, but work w/ what you can.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

If you don't want them using your data (and they will/are), then you need to set up local storage. If you have an old computer laying around, you could use it and pop in a new HD made for continuous recording (like the Western Digital purple line), but it will probably hog more energy than a dedicated DVR. Blue Iris seems to be the recommended software, but I have not used it, so dunno what to make of it.

Camera wise, I'm not sure how many professional level cameras are battery powered, but it's not toooooo hard to run a Cat6 out to a corner of the house, then power it through PoE (Power over Ethernet). Trying to rely on wireless signals/batteries seems silly and streaming 1080 or better puts more of a load on your wireless network. If you tap into your flood/exterior lights power, then the camera will also be on a switch, subject to someone flipping the switch and then missing whatever you wanted to record.

If you want to do a bunch of research on it, IPCamtalk.com is the forum to do it. Best place to start is their "cliff notes" FAQ type thing:

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I acquired a Level5 24" skimming blade with extension pole to try and get a better coat on the second pass skimming the ceiling. I will report back on the most likely inevitable failure as I lament my lack of skill in drywall once again. But damn it is a pretty sweet tool though.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So I acquired a Level5 24" skimming blade with extension pole to try and get a better coat on the second pass skimming the ceiling. I will report back on the most likely inevitable failure as I lament my lack of skill in drywall once again. But damn it is a pretty sweet tool though.
I hate doing tape and bed work with such a passion... Luckily I have two nephews in the trade I can call upon.