Home Improvement

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I couldn't think what thread would be more appropriate but mops for a mostly fake wood house plus tile. We have this round little kinda micro fiber with relaxants heads and it spin dries in the bucket between sweeps, but just feels really tedious doing the whole house. I tried the big wide sweepers with a micro fiber pad you wet then run, but every wetting you got to peel it off and wring it.

There's always classic giant yellow bucket with a old mops head but it's not that much wider I wonder if it's worth the extra storage space and a head that can get gross without careful management

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I couldn't think what thread would be more appropriate but mops for a mostly fake wood house plus tile. We have this round little kinda micro fiber with relaxants heads and it spin dries in the bucket between sweeps, but just feels really tedious doing the whole house. I tried the big wide sweepers with a micro fiber pad you wet then run, but every wetting you got to peel it off and wring it.

There's always classic giant yellow bucket with a old mops head but it's not that much wider I wonder if it's worth the extra storage space and a head that can get gross without careful management
About a year ago my wife bought one of these wet/dry vacuums. I thought, "great another thing that's going to sit unused and take up space", but it's been awesome. I have 2 young daughters plus the wife so plenty of long hair and various crumbs etc, so I typically do a quick pass with a cordless stick vac. Makes clean up of the wet/dry vac easier. Also, you will be slightly terrified at how dirty the water is.

Sludig

About a year ago my wife bought one of these wet/dry vacuums. I thought, "great another thing that's going to sit unused and take up space", but it's been awesome. I have 2 young daughters plus the wife so plenty of long hair and various crumbs etc, so I typically do a quick pass with a cordless stick vac. Makes clean up of the wet/dry vac easier. Also, you will be slightly terrified at how dirty the water is.

ya we had a stick wet dry but it was kinda shitty, only spray didn't suck up water. dog ate the roller but felt but much different than if I sprayed the floor then hit it with a duster, I'm in a farmhouse so plenty of muddy dog feet and tracked in dirt. Sweep first but still kinda heavy duty needed

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider

I really like this guy's reviews. For cordless, he recommended the Tineco S3 that ToeMissle already mentioned.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
ya we had a stick wet dry but it was kinda shitty, only spray didn't suck up water. dog ate the roller but felt but much different than if I sprayed the floor then hit it with a duster, I'm in a farmhouse so plenty of muddy dog feet and tracked in dirt. Sweep first but still kinda heavy duty needed
I’m sure there are heavier duty ones, dogs in/out definitely makes a big impact. We also don’t wear shoes in the house so less dirt is dragged in. I will say though that I haven’t had any issue with ours not pulling up the water. There will be a little, but it evaporates in a couple minutes

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Interesting. I live in the country and have dogs that come in the house so my floors are quite often really nasty. Robo vac does a decent job on the dog hair and such but I really need something to put down some water to actually get the floor clean.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
FOHbros, I am at an impasse.

I've got a toilet that's absolutely confounding me. It's got a side mount flush lever, and for the life of me, I cannot get it to function properly, no matter what the fuck I do. If I flush it, there's a 50% chance the handle doesn't come back up, and a 25% chance that it just rotates 90 degrees and that's it's new fixed position. The hole in the tank is a bit of an oval, so I think that's the problem - there's just enough friction where if you push too hard, it will rotate the handle completely around, and then it's not gonna close the flapper at all.

I've tried adjusting the chain, right now I've got 1 link of slack, but that's not enough to always make the flap close all the way. When I try to go 2 links of slack, I start running into issues of the handle hitting the lid, or issues of the handle flipping completely around. It's kinda fucking gay, and I'm kinda fucking tired of it. I've literally been scratching my head on this fucking thing for like 3 hours, and I don't really know what else could be the issue. This is the only toilet in the house with a side mount lever, and I think that's the main issue...it's possible to actually flip that thing 90 degrees, where on a front mounted handle, you can't actually flip it due to the lid being in the way if you tried. I dunno what the fuck to do about this piece of shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
FOHbros, I am at an impasse.

I've got a toilet that's absolutely confounding me. It's got a side mount flush lever, and for the life of me, I cannot get it to function properly, no matter what the fuck I do. If I flush it, there's a 50% chance the handle doesn't come back up, and a 25% chance that it just rotates 90 degrees and that's it's new fixed position. The hole in the tank is a bit of an oval, so I think that's the problem - there's just enough friction where if you push too hard, it will rotate the handle completely around, and then it's not gonna close the flapper at all.

I've tried adjusting the chain, right now I've got 1 link of slack, but that's not enough to always make the flap close all the way. When I try to go 2 links of slack, I start running into issues of the handle hitting the lid, or issues of the handle flipping completely around. It's kinda fucking gay, and I'm kinda fucking tired of it. I've literally been scratching my head on this fucking thing for like 3 hours, and I don't really know what else could be the issue. This is the only toilet in the house with a side mount lever, and I think that's the main issue...it's possible to actually flip that thing 90 degrees, where on a front mounted handle, you can't actually flip it due to the lid being in the way if you tried. I dunno what the fuck to do about this piece of shit.

Did this recently for my mom. I just bought a replacement kit for $20. IIRC, there are 2 different universal sets, so just know your brand going into the store. Her's was a Kohler and a side mount.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

Did this recently for my mom. I just bought a replacement kit for $20. IIRC, there are 2 different universal sets, so just know your brand going into the store. Her's was a Kohler and a side mount.

Ah, I have that same kit. I think that video might cover my issue. I'll give it a go in the morning.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Interesting. I live in the country and have dogs that come in the house so my floors are quite often really nasty. Robo vac does a decent job on the dog hair and such but I really need something to put down some water to actually get the floor clean.
Yeap, though $250 bucks when I think of those old $50 garbage steam mops just seems hard pill for me, I don't mind manually mopping usually, just need a better mop. $250 is more than our on sale nice carpet shampooer.

Sludig

Speaking of toilets, noticed this bolt on one of my toilets. I'm somewhat unobservant, but i think it was at least sitting down and level, but had gotten a little sideways from my bumping the throne I guess. This doesn't look good lol.

1700407106975.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ok my fellow Home Improvers, I need suggestions for my workshop/garage.

My house has an addition and so I have a basement that opens to a two car OG garage with door openings and then another extended newer two car garage. I'm trying to decide what to do about layout as I am thinking I would like to keep wood shop out of the basement. Originally I had thought about adding doors of some type into the old openings so that I could close them and contain dust. However, that disrupts going the easy route with one mini split head to condition the space. It also makes it a pain to enter the house if I put another door in the way, or pull the tractor out.

This is my current thought. Any ideas or suggestions? I was originally thinking of framing in a french door on the bottom opening and a roll door on the top (for sheet goods, pallets, whatever). But I'm not so sure about door sills and tractor tires and things like that. I could just leave it all open, but then I'm kind of concerned about sawdust. I suppose I could spend the money I would on doors and an additional mini split head on dust collection. Or I dunno accordian room divider thing?

floorplan.png

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Swiffer wet mop.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok my fellow Home Improvers, I need suggestions for my workshop/garage.

My house has an addition and so I have a basement that opens to a two car OG garage with door openings and then another extended newer two car garage. I'm trying to decide what to do about layout as I am thinking I would like to keep wood shop out of the basement. Originally I had thought about adding doors of some type into the old openings so that I could close them and contain dust. However, that disrupts going the easy route with one mini split head to condition the space. It also makes it a pain to enter the house if I put another door in the way, or pull the tractor out.

This is my current thought. Any ideas or suggestions? I was originally thinking of framing in a french door on the bottom opening and a roll door on the top (for sheet goods, pallets, whatever). But I'm not so sure about door sills and tractor tires and things like that. I could just leave it all open, but then I'm kind of concerned about sawdust. I suppose I could spend the money I would on doors and an additional mini split head on dust collection. Or I dunno accordian room divider thing?

View attachment 501015
I would add a lift if you the ceiling height.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I need to add a sub panel next to my main. Is it dumb to do this myself? Pretty sure I only need a main lug since it will be adjacent?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's not rocket science. Get a bigger one than you think you need and leave some space for the next big idea you have.