Home Improvement

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like your furnace is pretty long in the tooth either way. I'd look into replacing it with a newer and possibly more efficient unit.
Depending on their numbers and speed they can get it replaced, I’m thinking this is what I’ll do. If the kiddo wasn’t involved, it wasn’t already 30 degrees, and I wasn’t having shoulder surgery next week, we’d have time for me to tinker with it. But because of all that plus the existing age it makes more sense to get them to do it ASAP and do it right. Not gonna injure my man pride.

Now just need to research what is worth it and what isn’t with new furnaces. Seems to be a lot of options.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Do you use the cleaning solution or water? I rock 1960s terrazzo and I’m hesitant to use the solution on it.. I’ve used bona before so wonder if that could be an option..
Ours has a little tank for clean water that a bit of the cleaning solution is added to. Directions say a full cap but about 1/2 works fine, the smell is a little on the strong side otherwise

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
In the same spirit as his question, how dangerous is replacing this myself?

HVAC guy said mine is dead and wants >$1,000 to replace it, suggesting just replacing my furnace completely since it is from 1995. Main concern is my 13 week old and it is getting cold, don’t want to risk having a freeze. We could always sleep downstairs, heat works there but his nursery is upstairs.
Out of curiosity, when the furnace tries to start up, are you getting any flame at all? I only ask because in my old house, I had a few issues with my flame detector and it's relatively cheap and easy to resolve. Behavior, at least in my system's case, was it would start the draft fan, then open the valve and ignite, it would run like that for about 10 seconds. A failed start it would shut off the flame while an ok start it would activate the blower and start running.

I'd probably do the same thing in your shoes overall if it's anything more complicated than that.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Kids and I put in a pantry off my kitchen/dining area in the stairwell space above the stairs going to basement. Our old house had one and it was great. Called it the "black hole" where shit got placed and lost forever. Well until we cleaned it every 5 yrs LOL. Anyway got the door cut, removed some studs, re-ran some wire and placed new studs for a 30" bi fold closet door and then trimmed it all out. Nice project to do with them over the Thanksgiving break. Had them do most of the work while I supervised and yelled at them. It was great! Got about a 4' cube and then another space below for a shelf that will fit some big pots and pans and some potato sacks.
IMG_0199.jpeg
Now just need to trim the inside with some 1/4 ply pieces and put in rest of shelves. Paint or whatever...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've been trying to figure out the products available for adaptable storage/cabinetry for a hobby/craft and shop rooms. Something closer to this:

DIY-Garage-Cabinets-Modular-System-100.jpg

1) Ikea has some OK stuff in all sorts of categories. They have some interesting kitchen cabinets with 6 slim drawers, but at $700-900 per base cabinet, this doesn't seem like a great deal. Everything is either super cheap, or overpriced for the construction quality? I guess that's Ikea for you though.
2) HD, specifically Husky, has some decent metal shop furniture with flush butcherblock tops. There aren't many options aside from 'generic tool storage' and carrying 300 lb metal cabinets up stairs for the one room isn't my first choice.
3) Lowe's/HD basic preassembled kitchen cabinets. Decent prices for the construction, but these are generic layouts only and not well suited for hobby or shop areas since they are principally designed around kitchen items. I suppose maybe there is something to simple box frames and adding drawer kits?
4) Container store or similar modular 'closet' system has some parts to adapt for office/home use outside of closets alone, but they get very pricey considering the compromises.

I really do not want to build my own cabinets right now as I want to focus time on other projects and my shop isn't set up for large volume of sheet goods right now (plus winter). I'm not really 100% thrilled with the options I have seen when considering function, form and value. Any other cabinet or storage products to consider or other retailers to look at?

• 1Mother of God

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've been trying to figure out the products available for adaptable storage/cabinetry for a hobby/craft and shop rooms. Something closer to this:

DIY-Garage-Cabinets-Modular-System-100.jpg

1) Ikea has some OK stuff in all sorts of categories. They have some interesting kitchen cabinets with 6 slim drawers, but at $700-900 per base cabinet, this doesn't seem like a great deal. Everything is either super cheap, or overpriced for the construction quality? I guess that's Ikea for you though.
2) HD, specifically Husky, has some decent metal shop furniture with flush butcherblock tops. There aren't many options aside from 'generic tool storage' and carrying 300 lb metal cabinets up stairs for the one room isn't my first choice.
3) Lowe's/HD basic preassembled kitchen cabinets. Decent prices for the construction, but these are generic layouts only and not well suited for hobby or shop areas since they are principally designed around kitchen items. I suppose maybe there is something to simple box frames and adding drawer kits?
4) Container store or similar modular 'closet' system has some parts to adapt for office/home use outside of closets alone, but they get very pricey considering the compromises.

I really do not want to build my own cabinets right now as I want to focus time on other projects and my shop isn't set up for large volume of sheet goods right now (plus winter). I'm not really 100% thrilled with the options I have seen when considering function, form and value. Any other cabinet or storage products to consider or other retailers to look at?

I know Rockler has options you can custom configure, such as below. Different shapes, sizes, etc. Being Rockler it, of course, isn’t cheap.

I just picked a random link, not that you’re looking for a mitre station.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I know Rockler has options you can custom configure, such as below. Different shapes, sizes, etc. Being Rockler it, of course, isn’t cheap.

I just picked a random link, not that you’re looking for a mitre station.

Ah those are not awful all things considered, but I guess I'd still have to build dozens of drawers or shelves though. I guess at that point the 80/20 route might be simpler.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Im in a mood and want to do something with my pots and pans in my cabinets. Can you guys give me some ideas on what you think is the "nicest" option when it comes to stowing away your pots, pants and their lids?

(similar or better than this.)
hang-your-pots-inside-your-cabinet-21843015.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Im in a mood and want to do something with my pots and pans in my cabinets. Can you guys give me some ideas on what you think is the "nicest" option when it comes to stowing away your pots, pants and their lids?

(similar or better than this.)
hang-your-pots-inside-your-cabinet-21843015.jpg

If you have the space and ceiling height I am partial to those pot racks. I like a working kitchen look though.

• 2Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

In total seriousness, a smaller collection of pots. We cook a lot and use 2 skillets (1 cast, one nonstick), one saucepan, one stock pot, and a dutch oven. I don't see how you need nine saucepans unless you're running a restaurant.

As far as how to store them, I prefer to have pots in lower cabinets, either in roll-out shelves or just on racks. Upper cabinets are for lighter things.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i second the ceiling storage rack, i liked it in my old house, this house the ceilings are low, so for pot storage i used the corner lazy susan i hate those things but this was pretty good to stow it away, pretty much the same setup

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In total seriousness, a smaller collection of pots. We cook a lot and use 2 skillets (1 cast, one nonstick), one saucepan, one stock pot, and a dutch oven. I don't see how you need nine saucepans unless you're running a restaurant.

As far as how to store them, I prefer to have pots in lower cabinets, either in roll-out shelves or just on racks. Upper cabinets are for lighter things.
I understand what you're saying and yes, I have more pots and pans with specific purposes than Ill ever use - but its a little too late for the minimalistic kitchen at this point in my life. Lanx's little video actually points out how many different pots and pans you can have, and thats not even accounting for some of the baking stuff. Its obnoxious imo.

Lanx Lanx - I spent a bit much on the kitchen, but elected to not go for all the little "fixin's" that go inside of the drawers and cabinets when I was remodeling. Now Im regretting it. Go figure. I think a pan rack hanging from the ceiling above the island would look tacky within its current design, but Ive seen other kitchens where its looked fantastic. I was thinking either one of those pull out racks that go in the lower cabinet, or to remove some shelves in the top part of the pantry and use that as a hanging ceiling rack (which Im leaning more towards this at the moment.)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I understand what you're saying and yes, I have more pots and pans with specific purposes than Ill ever use - but its a little too late for the minimalistic kitchen at this point in my life. Lanx's little video actually points out how many different pots and pans you can have, and thats not even accounting for some of the baking stuff. Its obnoxious imo.

Lanx Lanx - I spent a bit much on the kitchen, but elected to not go for all the little "fixin's" that go inside of the drawers and cabinets when I was remodeling. Now Im regretting it. Go figure. I think a pan rack hanging from the ceiling above the island would look tacky within its current design, but Ive seen other kitchens where its looked fantastic. I was thinking either one of those pull out racks that go in the lower cabinet, or to remove some shelves in the top part of the pantry and use that as a hanging ceiling rack (which Im leaning more towards this at the moment.)
yea like those rev a shelf things, i helped a dude install one, pretty easy
37fb974bb30f7daffa93d4a9d12a3548.jpg

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Furnace Update…

We’re going to replace the existing 1995 unit with a Trane S8V2 and larger than the existing 60k BTU to 80k. So along with the dual stage and variable motor maybe we’ll see some improvement with heating upstairs.

They also suggested to replace the ductwork because it is all flex and won’t pass current code and is losing efficiency bc of routing and the routing and nature of the flex. That all sounds great and would be helpful except for the fact they want $10k and 4 days to do it.

Instead we’ll just do the furnace at $7k and a little bit of duct and closing one branch that goes to a utility room all the way at the furthest part of the house that isn’t used.

Only real good thing out of it is that there was credit on our downstairs HVAC so we can still do 0%. They weren’t offering a difference between using that vs. straight cash, so whatever. Plus an extra year of service agreement at no charge bc we just paid to have a capacitor replaced on it last month.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Furnace Update…

We’re going to replace the existing 1995 unit with a Trane S8V2 and larger than the existing 60k BTU to 80k. So along with the dual stage and variable motor maybe we’ll see some improvement with heating upstairs.

They also suggested to replace the ductwork because it is all flex and won’t pass current code and is losing efficiency bc of routing and the routing and nature of the flex. That all sounds great and would be helpful except for the fact they want $10k and 4 days to do it.

Instead we’ll just do the furnace at $7k and a little bit of duct and closing one branch that goes to a utility room all the way at the furthest part of the house that isn’t used.

Only real good thing out of it is that there was credit on our downstairs HVAC so we can still do 0%. They weren’t offering a difference between using that vs. straight cash, so whatever. Plus an extra year of service agreement at no charge bc we just paid to have a capacitor replaced on it last month.

I don't know what condition yours is in but flex duct deteriorates and needs to be replaced. Not sure if their quote is reasonable or not based on the work but just an FYI.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I don't know what condition yours is in but flex duct deteriorates and needs to be replaced. Not sure if their quote is reasonable or not based on the work but just an FYI.
Yeah I’m totally on board with replacing it, we’re 5-7 years still in this house. It was just with the new furnace and we just did the home generator, and additional $10k right now was a little much. Maybe I can shop that part around next year.

I guess that isn’t something that the home inspector would have pointed out to us. We knew the system was from 1995 so had some expectation of replacing it eventually. The AC was 2015 and that’s when they think the flex was out in when the previous owner did the work.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So rather than using clips for our Christmas lights, we were thinking of stapling them underneath the raingutter

IMG_8850.jpeg

Would about 25 of these about 7 inches apart cause enough leaks to defeat the purpose of the rain gutter?

• 2Worf

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So rather than using clips for our Christmas lights, we were thinking of stapling them underneath the raingutter

View attachment 503448
Would about 25 of these about 7 inches apart cause enough leaks to defeat the purpose of the rain gutter?

While this might not be catastrophic, it's generally a bad idea to punch holes in things intended to be waterproof. Why don't you put the staples in the fascia board?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

View attachment 503448

Sorry, but that is an absolutely dreadful idea what will lead to the failure of your gutters. They will drip constantly, and then rust from those spots.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like