Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Don’t know what brand it is, but the LVP we got in our house feels like some adamantite shit. Scrambling cat claws, piss, vomit, melting ice; this stuff takes it all like a champion. May not last forever, but it’s taken 2 years of a beating so far and I haven’t seen a single thing wrong with it yet.

I got mine in 2019. 7mm thick stuff from Lumber Liquidators. I had 2 border collies on it and I live in the country so mud and gravel are always getting tracked in. Coming up on 5 years ago now and even with some leaking issues in the laundry room I couldn't tell you anything that's wrong with it except that I don't clean it often enough.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It was whatever the builder got for our house and I only have the name for the local-ish supplier. I can probably call and ask. We did get the “nicer” stuff, since husband wanted white kitchen cabinets and that only came with the pricier package.

I might have a leftover box of planks in the basement, I’ll check next time I go downstairs and see if it’s got branding on it.
since when does the hubby want white kitchen cabs?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trying to put simple hardware on doors for our newly built dog crate (set into the wall, wooden doors with iron bars) and I’ve tried 3 different kinds of latches only to have ALL of them fucking fail. The god damn screws twist apart just using a screwdriver. WTF is this cheap garbage?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Trying to put simple hardware on doors for our newly built dog crate (set into the wall, wooden doors with iron bars) and I’ve tried 3 different kinds of latches only to have ALL of them fucking fail. The god damn screws twist apart just using a screwdriver. WTF is this cheap garbage?

that’s crazy… I used these on the kennel I built for our German Shepherd. She’s 80lbs and has torn apart the inside of the door, but the latches have had zero issue. Can’t remember if I used the included screws or just what I had laying around in the shop.

I probably need to rebuild the door at this point. It was poplar so not the strongest stuff

IMG_6267.jpeg

fris

Vyemm Raider
Dunno if this falls into this thread or not

My home ac has been repaired probably a dozen times. The inside unit was replace about 10 years ago. The outside fan again just last month. I have the dual capacitor thing. I don't want to spend $10k at least to replace everything.

So I got a window unit just for my master bedroom. Have it on at night, runs about 8 hours into I wake up, I don't hang in my bedroom typically.

I have a TP Link wall plug adapter that meters power usage. It's saying I've used 28 kw in the last 30 days, comes to less than 5 bucks on my electric bill.

That seem right? I'd have thought it would have used a ton more. I'm mostly using it, or bought it, to offset the load on my main unit. Now I'm thinking it's saving me a ton on my electric bill.

The window is on the edge of my balcony, so neighbors can't see it. I'd get another for my son's room but they have the street.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Dunno if this falls into this thread or not

My home ac has been repaired probably a dozen times. The inside unit was replace about 10 years ago. The outside fan again just last month. I have the dual capacitor thing. I don't want to spend $10k at least to replace everything.

So I got a window unit just for my master bedroom. Have it on at night, runs about 8 hours into I wake up, I don't hang in my bedroom typically.

I have a TP Link wall plug adapter that meters power usage. It's saying I've used 28 kw in the last 30 days, comes to less than 5 bucks on my electric bill.

That seem right? I'd have thought it would have used a ton more. I'm mostly using it, or bought it, to offset the load on my main unit. Now I'm thinking it's saving me a ton on my electric bill.

The window is on the edge of my balcony, so neighbors can't see it. I'd get another for my son's room but they have the street.
Did you get one of those Midea U shaped window units or something else inverter based? If so, I'd say it's plausible that it'd be that low since it's supplementing your whole home unit.

Have you considered a portable ac unit for your son? They're a little noisier since everything is indoors, but should be almost invisible from the street. Something like this: (was first google search, no clue if this particular one is any good, but I do think they're a pretty solid brand for the window ones)

You could also check for leaks in your ductwork. Upon moving in to my new house, I noticed there was a huge disparity between the basement, first floor, and second floor temperatures. I found a huge leak in the laundry room duct - was essentially heating/cooling the basement and laundry room regardless of what you did with the register. Fixing that and a few other spots with some aluminum tape pretty much fixed everything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fris

Vyemm Raider
Yes Media U shaped. It's awesome.

I bought one of their stand up units that connect to a window, dual hose. Just haven't hooked it up yet. More an emergency plan once my main ac goes out again. My youngest son's window is a but less visible from the street so the Holes might not get noticed.

I have a2 story. No basements in Texas. When I bought the home, the ducks were inspected in the attic. I can only assume they're still good.

While this is a 2 story, is just 1 ac unit. It has some damper/valve to adjust air to upstairs or down. The problem is my living room is 2 stores and my office upstairs is open to it. The 3 bedrooms upstairs have doors. But closing then really impacts how much cooling they get.

Without the ceiling fans going, the temp difference between floors can be 15 degrees. It's freaking weird waiting down the stairs into it. With the fans going, its maybe 2 degrees different.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
fris fris this hits very close to home. I have a 5 year old system that is AC only. Yesterday was the scheduled AC service , only it's completely lost all the coolant again. The line from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit has to be completely replaced. It's also only 5 years old. 2 years ago they repaired it (2K) and it's going to be another $2500 to replace. I currently am trying to cool my entire house with a Midea unit and 3 box fans which is loud as all hell. I live in the heart of the NV desert so no AC isn't an option.

Considering getting a package unit and having duct work ran but that's also expensive as all hell. This is one of those times where home ownership bites you in the ass.

• 1Like

fris

Vyemm Raider
I'm debating installing a mini split. Better long term solution to a window unit. Central Texas gets pretty warm, but not desert hot lol

Siliconemelons

How is your coolant line up and breaking to a leak that depletes your coolant? Twice?

Mr cool diy may be your bro… buy fyi…if you actually diy you dont get a warranty lol oh marketing

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
How is your coolant line up and breaking to a leak that depletes your coolant? Twice?

Mr cool diy may be your bro… buy fyi…if you actually diy you dont get a warranty lol oh marketing
I have no fucking idea. But I will be here tomorrow when they come to run the new line and I will be looking at what they pull out.
also to clarify, when we replaced the outdoor unit, we replaced the line set. 2 years ago, it had a leak that allowed all the coolant to leak out. Last year it was fine. This year , leak allowed all the coolant out so rather than trying to band aid it again, it's being replaced.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm debating installing a mini split. Better long term solution to a window unit. Central Texas gets pretty warm, but not desert hot lol
the mini split will be a huge upfront cost but it has the higher energy rating, plus you can plan for it that you can have a multiroom mini split rather than having window units in your trouble spots.

i was gathering info on mini splits in my future move back to nj, i've settled on a precharged unit, and i will flare the copper lines myself, flaring the line is pretty simple i did the brake lines for my civic and i haven't lulz lost brakes yet, haha. and i'd wall hang the condensor cuz putting down a concrete pad looks like an annoying expense.

• 1Worf

Siliconemelons

Precharged lines are all clamp together not soldered… well last time i looked a year or so ago.

But precharge line sets and diy systems have come a long way and i am sure has stared to disrupt the market some.

3 or 4 head mini split system is not that difficult if you have good attic access.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure where to ask this as I didn't see a lawn thread so I guess here is as good.

Later this summer we are moving to a smaller lot much larger house so I have zero need for riding mower. I have been looking at videos of the battery powered push mowers like the EGO LM2156SP. They have a sale going one where you get the mower + 10 AH battery with a 5 AH free. Does anyone have any experience with these battery power mowers? Of course almost all youtube videos make them out to be pretty good, but when you read quiet a few reviews of dead out the box and horrible CS experiences makes the old tried and true dealing with gas safer route.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not sure where to ask this as I didn't see a lawn thread so I guess here is as good.

Later this summer we are moving to a smaller lot much larger house so I have zero need for riding mower. I have been looking at videos of the battery powered push mowers like the EGO LM2156SP. They have a sale going one where you get the mower + 10 AH battery with a 5 AH free. Does anyone have any experience with these battery power mowers? Of course almost all youtube videos make them out to be pretty good, but when you read quiet a few reviews of dead out the box and horrible CS experiences makes the old tried and true dealing with gas safer route.

do you currently have any other battery powered systems or are you also looking for battery powered everything?

i love my ryobi battery powered mower

imo, have double the battery power available or waiting to charge, why? battery powered mowers are "on demand" if your going over a thick patch or you forgot to mow, they will kick it up and of course use more power.

still, it's so much i don't have to worry about, the ease of use

i'm pretty sure i got this one or something close to it (ryobi changes models a lot)
ac249f0599b48ee4d206b45064454d5a.png

my total yardage is 4700sq/ft, it'll take me 1 full battery and 10-15minutes of the 2nd battery.

i have needed to use both batteries to dead a few times in the fall, i don't blow my leaves, i just mow em, and that takes a lot of battery, it drains the batteries depending on how much was shed.

i can give you more info about my experiences, but using an electric over a gas will still translate, i would absolutely always use the battery powered, i've had corded and awd gas, would never go back.

the ego's seem to have more "quality of life" improvements, honestly if i wasn't already tied into ryobi i'd probably get an ego mower and ego outdoor system.

b/c you might not just be buying an eco mower, you'll be buying an ecosystem to work w/ the batteries.

• 1Like

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
do you currently have any other battery powered systems or are you also looking for battery powered everything?

i love my ryobi battery powered mower

imo, have double the battery power available or waiting to charge, why? battery powered mowers are "on demand" if your going over a thick patch or you forgot to mow, they will kick it up and of course use more power.

still, it's so much i don't have to worry about, the ease of use

i'm pretty sure i got this one or something close to it (ryobi changes models a lot)
ac249f0599b48ee4d206b45064454d5a.png

my total yardage is 4700sq/ft, it'll take me 1 full battery and 10-15minutes of the 2nd battery.

i have needed to use both batteries to dead a few times in the fall, i don't blow my leaves, i just mow em, and that takes a lot of battery, it drains the batteries depending on how much was shed.

i can give you more info about my experiences, but using an electric over a gas will still translate, i would absolutely always use the battery powered, i've had corded and awd gas, would never go back.

the ego's seem to have more "quality of life" improvements, honestly if i wasn't already tied into ryobi i'd probably get an ego mower and ego outdoor system.

b/c you might not just be buying an eco mower, you'll be buying an ecosystem to work w/ the batteries.
I am currently married to the Dewalt system. I have so many of their tools/batteries but am not sold on their new gen mower. It has improvements over 1 gen but still kinda flimsy looking on the handle department. It comes with two 10 ah batteries and the ones i have really would be no use for it as the power demand even dual 6's dont "cut" it very long.