Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've poured a few slabs. Biggest thing as has been mentioned is getting the ground compacted as well as possible. Never used a roller, just a rented plate compactor and/or jumping jack. You can probably drive your tractor over it a bit to help as well. If you don't get it compacted it will crack, which is mostly just aesthetic but annoying. Beyond that, just make sure everything is level and have enough people to get it spread out, screeded, and smoothed off before it goes hard on you. Have a plan because it gets hard to work on quicker than you want it to sometimes. Probably don't need a perfect smooth finish if it's just for parking on. Broom texture. Pour it on a sunny day and have tarps to cover it if there's any chance of rain. If it gets rained on before it sets up the slab will be ruined.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Do the entire thing the dry and water method... wasn't it posted here a long while ago? seemed interesting - I am going to do that method for a little slab to put my generator on.

I am being sarcastic to do an entire drive like that.

I have considered doing little by little pavers and replace my asphalt...but ehh.

fris

Vyemm Raider
I have a few wall mounted tvs in my home, but they all had power cords hanging down... For years. I recently picked up this kit and it was pretty painless. I didn't want to try to pull Romex and go through studs, this was a good compromise.

The mounting screws are 1 time use though. I had to pull a box out to repull an HDMI and Audio cable. then the screws just released the flaps that hold onto the drywall. Ran to the hardware store and picked up generic low power boxes for like 2 bucks and moved the flaps over.

Siliconemelons

I have a few wall mounted tvs in my home, but they all had power cords hanging down... For years. I recently picked up this kit and it was pretty painless. I didn't want to try to pull Romex and go through studs, this was a good compromise.

The mounting screws are 1 time use though. I had to pull a box out to repull an HDMI and Audio cable. then the screws just released the flaps that hold onto the drywall. Ran to the hardware store and picked up generic low power boxes for like 2 bucks and moved the flaps over.

Nice product for not having to do "Electrical work" - but I lol @ it being code compliant when like a power strip is "out of code"... but I guess it depends on "what code"... fire...house...inspection for insurance... inspection for occupancy...

• 1Like

fris

Vyemm Raider
It's basically Romex with approved connectors on either end. The wire behind the wall will stand straight up 6'

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Getting quotes to repaint the exterior of my house. First time I've lived anywhere long enough for the paint to go , and it's in the desert of NV. Anyhow I got a quote from a painting contractor that did a house for a work friend of my wife's. He's 3k to pressure wash, caulk , and paint complete (high grade exterior paint included) and he doesn't want any money until it's done. This is for a house, detached 2 car garage, shed , and pumphouse. This guy has a warranty and is bonded.

Then I get a number from the local handyman service we've used to renovate both our bathrooms. He just sent me a quote for 8K to do the same work, and it didn't include the paint. I didn't want to just tell the guy 'no' because he's a semi-friend and I figured he made a mistake. So I called him and wound up talking him off the ledge.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Getting quotes to repaint the exterior of my house. First time I've lived anywhere long enough for the paint to go , and it's in the desert of NV. Anyhow I got a quote from a painting contractor that did a house for a work friend of my wife's. He's 3k to pressure wash, caulk , and paint complete (high grade exterior paint included) and he doesn't want any money until it's done. This is for a house, detached 2 car garage, shed , and pumphouse. This guy has a warranty and is bonded.

Then I get a number from the local handyman service we've used to renovate both our bathrooms. He just sent me a quote for 8K to do the same work, and it didn't include the paint. I didn't want to just tell the guy 'no' because he's a semi-friend and I figured he made a mistake. So I called him and wound up talking him off the ledge.
Sometimes its just one of those things where its the guys specialty vs a jack of all trades. The guy that paints may look at your house, and know he has the spray tools needed to knock that shit out in half a day. Versus the handyman, thats taking a guesstimate of how much time itll take because he doesnt do it everyday. He's not trying to cheat you, but he may not have the tools, or he may just hate that kind of work - but if you "really" need him to, he'll do it but he's getting paid handsomely to.

It works both ways, sometimes. I had a good sized hole in sheetrock a while back and the guy that does sheetrock quoted me 400 bucks. My handyman did it for 125. But that same handyman wanted to charge me 2500 to do a galley kitchen's back splash, where a guy that works with tile did it for me for 1200 and it looks fucking great! Basically, its always worth it to get multiple quotes.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I'm getting 900 square feet of carpeting ripped out in 3 bedrooms and replaced with luxury vinyl plank in about 2 weeks. Going through Lowes and they hire a local contractor to do the install.

Anything in particular I should know or keep an eye out for? For example, someone told me I should make sure that they remove the base boards and put the vinyl planking under the base boards. Any other tips like that?

I have never done flooring so I dont know anything about it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Vinyl flooring you need to make sure the floor below it is even and level. They usually trowel out some BS that makes it all level and hides all the imperfections like nail holes, screw holes and the joints between the sub floor. If they dont do this it will show through on vinyl depending on thickness.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm getting 900 square feet of carpeting ripped out in 3 bedrooms and replaced with luxury vinyl plank in about 2 weeks. Going through Lowes and they hire a local contractor to do the install.

Anything in particular I should know or keep an eye out for? For example, someone told me I should make sure that they remove the base boards and put the vinyl planking under the base boards. Any other tips like that?

Make sure they put the underlayment in prior to the vinyl. And make sure the baseboards cover the gaps around the edge. When they're done, look at EVERY SINGLE joint. You don't want any space where it shouldn't be.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider

I hope it goes smoothly for you. I'll never make the mistake of hiring a contractor through Lowes again. We had our gutters done through them and they subbed it out to the shittiest company possible. Then, when we had problems, they basically told us to take it up with the company directly and wouldn't step in or help at all. They basically just acted as a middleman for payment.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I hope it goes smoothly for you. I'll never make the mistake of hiring a contractor through Lowes again. We had our gutters done through them and they subbed it out to the shittiest company possible. Then, when we had problems, they basically told us to take it up with the company directly and wouldn't step in or help at all. They basically just acted as a middleman for payment.

Yep, I'm hoping for the best. They had the best quote by far when it came to labor and they offered a 1 year labor, 5 year material warranty.

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider

I forgot to mention flooring stuff in my rage about Lowes. If doing vinyl plank, I highly recommend going with the 100% water proof material. Don't settle for the water resistant varieties to save a few bucks. I was extremely careful in my living room and still ended up with a spot where it swelled up. Also, I'm not sure how they're going to finish things, but I wasn't too impressed with PVC quarter round on my floors, it's just not very durable. I'd probably pay a little extra for real wood - might be a pain to stain to get it to match of course if you're doing an exotic color. Lastly, if your house ever had pets, it might not be a bad idea to pull out the carpets yourself and put down a layer of Kilz - less of a factor for bedrooms probably.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I forgot to mention flooring stuff in my rage about Lowes. If doing vinyl plank, I highly recommend going with the 100% water proof material. Don't settle for the water resistant varieties to save a few bucks. I was extremely careful in my living room and still ended up with a spot where it swelled up. Also, I'm not sure how they're going to finish things, but I wasn't too impressed with PVC quarter round on my floors, it's just not very durable. I'd probably pay a little extra for real wood - might be a pain to stain to get it to match of course if you're doing an exotic color. Lastly, if your house ever had pets, it might not be a bad idea to pull out the carpets yourself and put down a layer of Kilz - less of a factor for bedrooms probably.
Yeah, definitely doing the waterproof stuff with all the pets and kids that will be on those floors.

I have some real damage in 1 corner of a hallway and 2 corners in bedrooms where my old cat and old dog decided to have literal pissing matches because they're too old and lazy to go to the proper bathroom. So some of the areas will need to have subflooring replaced entirely.

If parts of the subflooring are getting replaced, I guess that means Kilz will not be needed?

Siliconemelons

Self leveling concrete skim coat fixer stuff is very expensive - I am sure someone knows how to use "normal" concrete and thin it out to do the same job vs buying the stuff made for it...

Doing plank is not that hard, just buy the tools and a nice set of knee pads- ripping carpet is not hard, make sure to take up the tack strips... there will be holes from that, but most likely not enough to really hurt something. If you have and underlay then its floating - if your gluing it down then that's a whole other thing.

But I am in florida so everything is on slab, so no wood subfloors here, just concrete or if your really having fun terazzo! but at least with that stuff ITS FLAT...and really hard so..dont expect to hammer in tack strips if your doing carpet on that unless you buy the little .22 shell hammer things.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Keeping my yard decent is a damn money pit. Had to get some peeps in to scrape out the moss in my yard after the moss killer took effect.

aaa.jpg

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
May have been a florida thing, but we had rock / pebble yards.. well in my area, I nor parents never had one... we did have a pebble driveway, it stunk for riding bikes on :-( or being barefoot.
I just want a zen garden if I ever win the lottery.

• 1Solidarity