Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I do see what you're saying but a check valve suggestion leads me to believe you're fucking around. From what i understand this is allowed (no vent pipe) because I'm within 5 ft of the stack. If you're talking about my pipes just getting stopped up and coming up in sink... I'd rather have that then backing up 1 more storey into kitchen

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That's what I'm saying. I have similar plumbing for my sump hole, and I have to have a check valve there. Any plumbing up gravity from that opening could back up there if there is heavy volume. Imagine every toilet is flushed while the kitchen sink is on, the dishwasher draining, and the washer also draining. Not likely, right? But possible. You're going to have back flow to that opening.

Picasso3

3week rrp bet when i get this hooked up I'll open all the taps and run around flushing toilets and draining bathtubs as fast as i can nothing backs up into the sink.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I don't rrp bet. Silly.

Perhaps you'll be fine. There's the possibility that you won't be. If it were me, I'd eliminate that possibility. Do as you see fit.

Picasso3

I have hooked up the drain for an extensive field test, no trap failures yet.

On another note, i discovered my fucking frostproof faucet outside froze and busted. I had never had anything so fancy so I didn't know you have to take the hose off for it to work.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Hah, dumbass!

Also, backflow shouldn't be a concern there. However, depending on how close the trap is to the stack, I'd be concerned about it siphoning the trap. But so long as it's at least 6-12" from the stack, it should be okay.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Although after looking closer, I'm wondering if you used a T instead of a TY. A T should basically never be used in drainage. Shouldn't really affect anything, but just the same.

Picasso3

I used a "sanitary tee" which has a small curve in the direction of flow but not like a wye.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have almost the exact setup in my basement for a utility sink and that shit backed up every day from the upstairs kitchen. There used to be like 6in of sludge in the utility sink at all times sometimes my entire basement 1/2 smelled like shit. Listen to the dude that mentioned a backflow valve. I had to remove and cap it for the time being until I can fix it proper.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
There is something else wrong with your sanitary drainage system, then. That appears to be a 4" line. A 4" line can drain 180 fixture units on the horizontal and 540 on the vertical, according to the Canadian plumbing code. A tank style toilet is 4 FU. An entire house is probably not going to be more than 15-20 FU if you have a couple bathroom groups (6 FU each), a kitchen sink (1.5 FU), a washer/dryer (2 FU) and a couple other misc. things. If you are getting backups, it's because there is a blockage somewhere further down the line.

We do 30 story high sanitary 4" stacks on high rise projects, and do not install a single backflow valve on anything. Because properly sized, vented and installed you should never have a backup.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have hooked up the drain for an extensive field test, no trap failures yet.

On another note, i discovered my fucking frostproof faucet outside froze and busted. I had never had anything so fancy so I didn't know you have to take the hose off for it to work.
Why do you have to disconnect the hose? I didn't know of these faucet either until I moved into this house, but I've been leaving it attached too. Drained as well as I can, but still attached. Hmmm, hope nothing is damaged. How did you tell it was busted?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
You need to disconnect the hose so that the hose bib drains completely out. They're installed with a slope to the exterior. The actual valve/stop is 8-12" back from the exterior typically (they're available in a wide variety of lengths), so it should never freeze back there as it will be past the insulation, vapor barrier etc. Not disconnecting the hose is just begging for water to remain in the hose bib, potentially causing a freeze and burst.

rrr_img_125117.jpg

Even with a NFHB, it's still good plumbing practice to have an easily accessible valve in the interior that shuts water off to the hose bib, so even if it does freeze you won't have a flood on your hands.

Picasso3

It leaks through the brick when I turn it on. I don't have an internal separate valve. Just take the hose off, if this doesn't screw out and back in and i have to smash wall to fix this I'm going to be majorly pissed off

You just cut a hole on the inside wall with a utility knife. The Frost Proof Sillcock unscrews out with a wrench. I first tried replacing the bibb washer but no luck. That is if you have a slab. With a basement you might get lucky and do it down stairs between the joists.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
If you need to cut the sheetrock to see where the valve connects to the plumbing, that's a good excuse to buy an oscillating multi-tool. The kerf that thing makes is so fine, you can just put the piece you cut out back in with a dab of caulk, paint the seam, vacuum up the dust and you're done. You'll find other things to do with that tool in the future.

Picasso3

Already gots 1

4" laundry tub faucets all seemed like junky pieces of shit. Bought a delta with sprayer for 80 bucks. May get a soap dispenser for the 3rd hole

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So, window fit charges 400 per window. Seemed like a great deal, until I realized what I thought of as one or two he thought I'd as two or four.

So, in a few weeks, I might post some pics of the windows I'm going to rip out.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Finally got the humidifer installed...what a relief and great feeling to see it work after hooking up about ten wires and running electric, water, and a drain. Not diy friendly.
WHY ISN'T THAT WIRING PROTECTED?!?

latest

You need to get right with Jesus, and Article 334.15(C), you nerd.