Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
PHOTO_20170822_174456.jpg

Mounted the wall safe, I picked the pantry b/c every thief in the world will look for the safe in the master bedroom, I will install my old safe in there as well and put like old digicams and print up some fake documents to make it a diversion safe. I still have to flip to door to the pantry so that it opens in to the safe, and to hide it behind a white peg board that I'll use to hold a broom and duster. Why did I not hang it on the other side? My garage is there and I thought there might be insulation, and there was, I took a 2in patch out to check, now I gotta Google how to patch a big drywall hole.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm trying to amp myself up to redo my roof. My home owner's insurance spiked over a grand this year and they need to do an inspection to shop around for a better policy. I have a feeling that inspection is going to say my roof is too old(even though I have no issues with it). Any good online resources for how to DIY a shingle roof?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm trying to amp myself up to redo my roof. My home owner's insurance spiked over a grand this year and they need to do an inspection to shop around for a better policy. I have a feeling that inspection is going to say my roof is too old(even though I have no issues with it). Any good online resources for how to DIY a shingle roof?

May try labor only with a company or some moonlighters. I had the shingles and everything waiting on them and they charged 1600 for removal, disposal, and reinstallation w/ new drip edge on a 1200 sq ft roof.

I wouldn't try to do it myself just because its so much work to have your house open prone to water damage.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
May try labor only with a company or some moonlighters. I had the shingles and everything waiting on them and they charged 1600 for removal, disposal, and reinstallation w/ new drip edge on a 1200 sq ft roof.

I wouldn't try to do it myself just because its so much work to have your house open prone to water damage.
Yeah, that's probably the best route. My roof is about the same size, but I feel like it will cost more down here since being on a roof in south FL is basically like walking on the surface of the sun. Did you go with an actual company?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
What's the pitch on your roof, and how many gullies do you have? I'll absolutely do my own roof when needed. It's huge, but it's a very mild slope and there are no gullies at all. It'll take time, but shingles aren't hard. Just remember, preparation of the roof is at least half the job. Make sure to use ice and water shield, and use the higher quality tar paper to line the roof before your shingles go on.

Oh, and get architectural shingles. They're worth the extra money.

Only way I'd pay someone to do a roof is if I were getting a standing seam steel roof, or if it was stupid high and sloped. I don't do that anymore.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, that's probably the best route. My roof is about the same size, but I feel like it will cost more down here since being on a roof in south FL is basically like walking on the surface of the sun. Did you go with an actual company?

Yes, but they were they weren't exactly prestigious.

They prob work from like 6 to noon or something down there. Its prime Mexican labor so you may luck out.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Windows are fucking expensive. I hate them. I can't believe I have a house with 33 of them. Latest quote to redo all of them is $60k

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Windows are fucking expensive. I hate them. I can't believe I have a house with 33 of them. Latest quote to redo all of them is $60k

Are they Wooden Trim windows? I redid my house 4? years ago with top of the line Vinyl Acoustic Windows (we live on a busy street). Only costed like 12 grand or so for 20ish windows.

I live in MA also so our shit is usually extra expensive.

Where is the cost coming from? Labor or Parts.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are they Wooden Trim windows? I redid my house 4? years ago with top of the line Vinyl Acoustic Windows (we live on a busy street). Only costed like 12 grand or so for 20ish windows.

I live in MA also so our shit is usually extra expensive.

Where is the cost coming from? Labor or Parts.

Yea, 60K sounds like a pile of oversized pictures/glass walls, decorative gable windows, bay windows multi level install without easy access, etc.

Oldbased

> Than U
LOL and ya 2k a window is a major con job. Depending on what windows you have now and what you are going to the prices do vary. I'm still swapping out the ones in the rental house I live in as landlord permits. Single pane wood to double pane vinyl at a cost of $108 each and 30 minutes per window. For these all I have to do is pop the stop around the inner frame, yank out the track/sashes, put new window in, reinstall the stop caulk/paint casing and outside install the angle strip on bottom and done. That is about as simple as it gets though. Even with good grade windows( material cost of $300 and real $300 not some $100 priced as $300 ), casing and wrap, it shouldn't exceed 500-600 per window. If it does, use another company unless you are doing some fucked up request for arch windows using cladding, multiple tones such as tan outside/white inside, and triple pane platinum 8 headed spark plug type of shit. Then a person deserves to pay 2k a window.

Never understood it, windows is one of the easiest things in construction yet highest markup/price there is. Even worse than roofing.
Even a custom large window ( 32inches wide 70ish inches tall ) runs under $200 ordering directly yourself. Add in funky shit like all the upgrades/2 tone/cladding and/or impact resistance and it still is under $400 a window. For most people though insulated vinyl frame, white, double hung with half or full screen, 2 locks with 2 catches is plenty of a window and even with grid in glass is less than $220 a window and older homes where the windows are 36x37 or 36x54.5 and less they run $100-140 for normal store brands. Installation varies but in some cases it is less than a hour labor like mine per window, in other cases with wrap and having to recase it is still under 2 hours a window.

I see those fuckers all over town and have for ages though. "Window" people. They spend more time looking busy doing nothing to justify the fucked up price than actually putting it in.

Siliconemelons

If your windows are common size your golden. My house is a 70's house - so I am mostly good except the front...

My parents did new windows on their house with some made in florida for florida window company - they surely are way better than my "standard" double pane's that were done in the 90s on my house - I need to replace my front 3 large windows because it takes a huge beating from sun, and its AC input into that large room is jacked up so it messes up the entire houses balance. I put thermal film on them, it kinda helps - but I am sure top of the line gas filled new stuff would be much better - but I need to get the damn AC vent fixed first.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah im my last house I redid all the windows myself. Of course it was an easy ranch style late 60s house. But it had all aluminum shit tier windows. So over the years living there I redid them one by one with nice wood and vinyl Pella windows I ordered to size from Home Cheapo. They cost about $250-$500 depending on size, but perfectly manageable if you spread the cost over, say a year or two. The biggest was the picture window in fromt of house, but what I did was use 2 smaller windows of sides, and a big picture window in center that did not open. Had some help with that one, but still manageable.

Installation is a piece of cake too, nothing to it really. Put it up, square it and shim it, screw it in, caulk on outside (or trim kit if you have vinyl siding) spray some expanding foam in the gaps on the inside, and then wood trim.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Nothing too special about my windows. The most complicated thing we have are bay windows, but each of those is just 4 windows, 2 big and 2 small. No curves or rounded edges or anything. We are going from aluminum frame hung in the 80's to vinyl frame hurricane / storm glass. The biggest cost is that there's 33 fucking windows, I think. The $58k quote was double hung windows on all of them. We hate double hung. We just want regular windows. We can get less expensive horizontal sliding windows to get it to under $1500 per window.

I'm guessing the major cost is labor because it's only a couple hundred bucks difference from our smallest window to our biggest (double the size). But we are not doing it ourselves. We don't have the expertise or the patience to do this stuff. We've got 2 quotes so far and they were both in the neighborhood of $1500 per window.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Nothing too special about my windows. The most complicated thing we have are bay windows, but each of those is just 4 windows, 2 big and 2 small. No curves or rounded edges or anything. We are going from aluminum frame hung in the 80's to vinyl frame hurricane / storm glass. The biggest cost is that there's 33 fucking windows, I think. The $58k quote was double hung windows on all of them. We hate double hung. We just want regular windows. We can get less expensive horizontal sliding windows to get it to under $1500 per window.

I'm guessing the major cost is labor because it's only a couple hundred bucks difference from our smallest window to our biggest (double the size). But we are not doing it ourselves. We don't have the expertise or the patience to do this stuff. We've got 2 quotes so far and they were both in the neighborhood of $1500 per window.

You hate the most common type of window? I haven't seen single hung in anything other than decorative panel windows with huge fixed panes in forever.

Also you're getting ripped off unless you're getting some sort of obscene decorative windows or you're trying to have them tear out to the drywall and replace them all with new construction windows to save the two inches on retrofit frame creep?