Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Nothing too special about my windows. The most complicated thing we have are bay windows, but each of those is just 4 windows, 2 big and 2 small. No curves or rounded edges or anything. We are going from aluminum frame hung in the 80's to vinyl frame hurricane / storm glass. The biggest cost is that there's 33 fucking windows, I think. The $58k quote was double hung windows on all of them. We hate double hung. We just want regular windows. We can get less expensive horizontal sliding windows to get it to under $1500 per window.

I'm guessing the major cost is labor because it's only a couple hundred bucks difference from our smallest window to our biggest (double the size). But we are not doing it ourselves. We don't have the expertise or the patience to do this stuff. We've got 2 quotes so far and they were both in the neighborhood of $1500 per window.

Have you tried Lowe's? For 33 windows I would guess they would quote you around 20k-25k, obviously their prices vary based on the market and supplier. I had them quote me on 17 windows 2 years ago and it was just under 10k. I ended up getting a deal on the windows from a local supplier and then hired someone else to do the install, ended up spending under 5k.

EDIT: I should note that we went with Vinyl, I know Wood is more expensive.

Vinen

God is dead
House my wife and I are in the process of replacing is going to likely need new soffits. Current ones are wood (this is a Victorian). Anyone know what materials are out there are more modern and "better" than wood? looking for a Smooth look that is durable and not plastic.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You hate the most common type of window? I haven't seen single hung in anything other than decorative panel windows with huge fixed panes in forever.

Also you're getting ripped off unless you're getting some sort of obscene decorative windows or you're trying to have them tear out to the drywall and replace them all with new construction windows to save the two inches on retrofit frame creep?

Yeah because we never open or clean the windows. Its unnecessarily complex. The more moving parts, the more things there are that can break. What we hate is that we know the complexity of them is driving up the price.

I don't even know what 2 inches on retrofit frame creep means, so I'm not asking them to do anything to eliminate that. The quote i'm talking about was all custom sized, so they probably wouldn't have to do whatever you're talking about anyway.

Have you tried Lowe's? For 33 windows I would guess they would quote you around 20k-25k, obviously their prices vary based on the market and supplier. I had them quote me on 17 windows 2 years ago and it was just under 10k. I ended up getting a deal on the windows from a local supplier and then hired someone else to do the install, ended up spending under 5k.

EDIT: I should note that we went with Vinyl, I know Wood is more expensive.

That's with lowes installing for $10k?

These windows you guys are talking about, were they storm windows? Gas filled? Both quotes we've gotten were for the double paned gas filled storm windows that can sustain a 2x4 impact at 140 mph.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah because we never open or clean the windows. Its unnecessarily complex. The more moving parts, the more things there are that can break. What we hate is that we know the complexity of them is driving up the price.

I don't even know what 2 inches on retrofit frame creep means, so I'm not asking them to do anything to eliminate that. The quote i'm talking about was all custom sized, so they probably wouldn't have to do whatever you're talking about anyway.

These windows you guys are talking about, were they storm windows? Gas filled? Both quotes we've gotten were for the double paned gas filled storm windows that can sustain a 2x4 impact at 140 mph.

New con windows have nail in strips at a 90 degree angle from the frame along the side of the studs, so they require open studs. Retrofit windows slide in on top of pre-existing frames and secure only to the inside of the studs/frame rather than around the sides, so you lose a few inches of glass pane to frame and cladding width to accommodate how they secure. Some people don't like losing those inches so they opt to tear down drywall to reinstall new construction, but that takes a ton of repair work and therefore money.

Also, if your window frames are ruined, you don't have much choice.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Anything with more than a single pane is gas filled, it just depends what type of gas is all.

Also storm glass should be maybe 100-200 extra per unit.

Do you have a copy of the window specs and series?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

OK yeah then we may not have a choice on that. The frames are shitty aluminum that we don't want to keep. From what these guys have said, for a storm window you might have to replace the frame. Part of the ratings for storm windows includes not the wind come around the window because that could pop it out.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

Yes 10k installed. Dual Pane, Argon Gas, Low E (Energy Rating helps with rebate with for Power Company, it blocks UV Rays or some shit) and I cannot speak to the Wind Rating as that was not a major concern for us.

• 1Like

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
New con windows have nail in strips at a 90 degree angle from the frame along the side of the studs, so they require open studs. Retrofit windows slide in on top of pre-existing frames and secure only to the inside of the studs/frame rather than around the sides, so you lose a few inches of glass pane to frame and cladding width to accommodate how they secure. Some people don't like losing those inches so they opt to tear down drywall to reinstall new construction, but that takes a ton of repair work and therefore money.

The nail strip goes on the outside between the sheathing and the siding.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The nail strip goes on the outside between the sheathing and the siding.

Yea, you are correct as I think on it in retrospect. The only time I've had to reinstall new construction windows was over a decade ago and we had to rip out everything inside the wall because of severe rotting and water damage stemming from shoddy workmanship and roof design which allowed ice dams to form on an inside corner. It caused caused constant water drainage during late winter and spring straight down into the corner of the deck there. It eventually drained behind the flashing due to s shitty install and rotted the wood so badly it went through into the wall and continued to drain all over the window frame into the basement wall right underneath it. Didn't think about it beyond the god damn mess.

Rydizzle

<Bronze Donator>
Since we are talking about windows, have any of you guys used the 3M Security film stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/S8MB50-WIndo...74260&sr=8-7&keywords=3m+security+film+12+mil

I was looking to add it to screen out all the light that comes into the room (Arizona), with the added benefits of impact/shatter resistance looks like it would be good. Just wanted to know if anyone has it, or has installed it and what they thought of the product and how easy it is to install.

Picasso3

Yea, you are correct as I think on it in retrospect. The only time I've had to reinstall new construction windows was over a decade ago and we had to rip out everything inside the wall because of severe rotting and water damage stemming from shoddy workmanship and roof design which allowed ice dams to form on an inside corner. It caused caused constant water drainage during late winter and spring straight down into the corner of the deck there. It eventually drained behind the flashing due to s shitty install and rotted the wood so badly it went through into the wall and continued to drain all over the window frame into the basement wall right underneath it. Didn't think about it beyond the god damn mess.

Does this mean i could be right about political things too?

Picasso3

Since we are talking about windows, have any of you guys used the 3M Security film stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/S8MB50-WIndo...74260&sr=8-7&keywords=3m+security+film+12+mil

I was looking to add it to screen out all the light that comes into the room (Arizona), with the added benefits of impact/shatter resistance looks like it would be good. Just wanted to know if anyone has it, or has installed it and what they thought of the product and how easy it is to install.

No experience on the film but in az I'd look Into awnings or exterior shutters for the sun side.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Those window films are a giant pain in the ass to do properly and it gets messy quickly if you aren't experienced with it. I'd consider getting it tinted. Otherwise I'd go old fashioned sun shade install on those windows. At least those you can take off if you want during the winter.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

I'm going to do 4mm in mid September, maybe 8mm

Picasso3

More tile today, really pleased with the black accent tiles i like to think of them as double teaming my white wife @Mario Speedwagon

Bonus -- while i was laying tile my fuckup alcoholic uncle stopped by and asked us why we were doing all this work and began telling us how Trump was going to get this all sorted out (he's on disability). He said he hadn't voted until Trump ran and someone said "it's good you didn't vote you're a failure".
Then I had 6 beers and a cigar.
10/10 Picasso day.

edit -- i put the soap holder in a stupid position because i thought it would be harder to install... they are really easy.

20170826_182509.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like