Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You're going to regret not putting a stainless steel edge on them stairs one day.

Just saying, because I regret not doing them in the first bathroom we did.

Also, laying tile like that with spaces left out must have been a royal bitch to later fill with the glue stuff. Way I know it is to just put it on in large spots and lay tile but whatever works for you. Looking good so far.

RE vertical tiles not dropping down - it must be magic. Never got how that can remotely work but people who know what they're doing get it to work.
what would the steel edge have done?, like i would have put it on the platform?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
PHOTO_20180602_154607.jpg

Just gotta grout, foam up the expansion joint, then caulk on the sides and I'm done, took longer than I expected, cuz of the hanging tiles, flu, got new mat to match

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

Yeah outdoor I would do a steel edge :)- looks good, tile work is not easy, even if not patterned like that.

What is everyone's thoughts on grout sealer... I did it in my shower... does not seem to help.

Siliconemelons

Okay here is the plan for break out box - move one of these 15A to the free 15A, I will use the breaker its currently using - in case there was something odd with that GE 15A that is free.

Replace those two 15a's with a dual pole 60A to feed the break out box, the one displaced 15A will go in the break out box sub panel - and then I just need to decide what type of amperage I am going to get for my EV Level 2 Charger - the leaf only takes 14.2a... so the "cheap" 16A chargers will do fine... but if I get a new EV down the road AND a new charger it will need to be upgraded to 30a or 40a or even 60a for the very expensive ones... Like a Tesla you want 60a to do the complete 48a the charger can use... apparently a 50a breaker will only get it 40a at the plug to the charger.

As the leaf is a cheap paid off car, I think buying a 150$ 16a level 2 charger and using 2x 20a breakers for now- the point is to drive the leaf for 2-3 years.

1527978942548.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah outdoor I would do a steel edge :)- looks good, tile work is not easy, even if not patterned like that.

What is everyone's thoughts on grout sealer... I did it in my shower... does not seem to help.
yea i think the steel edge woulda been good for the path.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
As the leaf is a cheap paid off car, I think buying a 150$ 16a level 2 charger and using 2x 20a breakers for now- the point is to drive the leaf for 2-3 years.

Yeah, don't make your breaker bigger than you need now. That just means more current to set shit on fire if it malfunctions. Get bigger breakers when you actually have a bigger current draw.

lurker

Vyemm Raider

What were you expecting it to do? A good sealer, properly and consistently applied (yes, it won't last forever) will keep most liquids from penetrating the surface of the stone or grout. It will not prevent dirt, soap scum or hard water deposits from forming on the surface. If the grout darkens when you wet it, you need to reseal.

I use a sealer or a sealer/enhancer, depending, on every job. It's just one layer of relatively inexpensive protection against staining and it makes regular cleaning easier.

Siliconemelons

Mostly, not get mildew mold or whatever the black crap is... but, it's all good- bleach cleans everything. It was in my shower- floor and walls- I did 3 applications via spray bottle then wipe. I didn't do the little paint brush applicator- my back can only take so much tile work- by then end I am donemode and sealing is, bahhh.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Mostly, not get mildew mold or whatever the black crap is... but, it's all good- bleach cleans everything. It was in my shower- floor and walls- I did 3 applications via spray bottle then wipe. I didn't do the little paint brush applicator- my back can only take so much tile work- by then end I am donemode and sealing is, bahhh.
if you don't want your bathroom to smell all bleachy, try baking soda paste (water+baking soda), shove it into the nasty parts then spray vingar

lurker

Vyemm Raider

A sealer will not prevent mildew or mold. Good ventilation will. Put your fart fan on a timer and turn it on before you shower and have it run 10 minutes or so after your done.

Siliconemelons

Wondered down to the depot to buy all my crap for a sub panel... electric guy was helping me with breakers- was looking at the picture...and was like...

Here - use a 2x thin line 35a, replace that big 2x 35a and then put in the 2x 20a thin line- and you don't need a sub. Yay :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Wanted to ask about fixing my backyard, figured I'd just add it to this thread instead of creating a new thread. I bought a house a few years ago that came with giant above ground pool and deck built around it. I finally got around to clearing out the pool and deck and now I've got a huge dead spot in my backyard. I'm curious as to if it matters what time of year I start trying to get this fixed. I've read conflicting things saying either late fall or early spring. I live in Oklahoma if that's helpful info.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Plant grass seed and water it. Start mowing it when it's tall enough. Keep mowing and fertilizing it. In a few years, it will blend in to the rest of your yard.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If you don't care about an immaculate lawn and just want some turf to grow in the dead spot, grab some perennial rye or a full sun (unless the dead spot is in the shade) mix from your local home depot or lowes and bury it in the soil with a Garden Weasel (see below). You can just rake it in, but the Garden Weasel does a much better job and will give you a consistent coverage.

Water the seed for a couple minutes at a time, 2-3 times per day for the first week for fast germination. If you don't care about how fast it germinates then you can just wait until it rains and you'll have some germination within a few days.

61RqMfdinXL._SL1500_.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just received this
ProPlugger 5-In-1 Lawn Tool and Garden Tool, Bulb Planter, Weeder, Sod Plugger, Annual Planter, Soil Test

i was posting in the plant thread, i had a lot of dead spots cuz it was so weedy, literally some weeds were 2 ft wide, i've been doing no chemicals(idk why), so everything was just pull weeds, seed and grow.

I got that pro plugger which is basically like a hair transplant, i'm moving good grass from my backyard to the front lawn.

just got it and transplanted like 30plugs, i'll see how it goes.

Siliconemelons

Front load washer stopped working, would not start cycle / lock - so the youtube and googleing said bad latch lock thing.. 38$ at Sears parts house, 5 min replacement. Boom.

Had wife think of me god mode fixing it :)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
I recently bought a brand new build with cement garages and decided to metallic epoxy both of my garages. It was quite a process with all the acid washing to even prep it. I had to prime the garage after garage dried with a black epoxy and then a day later added the clearcoat with metallic pigment. When i first starting applying this i was super concerned that I didnt have enough. Eventually it self leveled as it is designed to do. Two days later i clearcoated on top of it. All in all my wife and I probably spent near 40 man hours for 1100 sq ft but it was worth it.

71728.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It looks nice, but once you do something to cement, you're going to have to redo it every so often. You'll get gouges, or chemicals/oil/whatever will discolour it, and so forth. I'd rather have bare cement and no maintenance.