Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Siliconemelons

Okay... just got "suckered" into new windows for my front room, the only room that has direct 10+ hour sun exposure- west facing (hottest time of day with sun exposure)

They did the heat bulb test and theirs was night and day vs the others... they did the song and dance on the locks and crap etc. All seemed well.. Just $$$ 4500$ total with metal hurricane shutters included. 3 large windows, 2 double hung with picture center- 65x52 and 2 45x52 - my window hight is odd and I can't "buy" homedepot windows that would fit...

His initial price was 5k. I have 3 days to cancel

Florida windows suck. And by law now my area, any renovation done must be "hurricane proof" - so I would have to buy shutters / plywood or storm windows.

Lifetime warranty - transferable, no prorated, includes labor and material - even accidental glass breakage included (rock from lawnmower etc.)

External and internal panes are triple laminated or whatever the treatment for heat is called.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's probably not such a terrible price. It doesn't sound like a good price, you're not getting any friends and family deals.

metal hurricane shutters must be about 200 each.

Siliconemelons

I figure it is not rip off report, but not cheapo Greek-o of the year.

Yeah, he mentioned that lowes/HD has increased shutter cost 3x now that ANY home improvement requires hurricane rated stuff.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Don’t have to deal with the hurricane requirements, but I’m replacing 21 oversized windows with triple pane krypton blah blah etc. windows for about 18k. Previous owners in our house apparently didn’t like cleaning gutters so they let them clog and half of our existing wood windows are rotting from the water

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well fixed the sliding glass door today. My stationary door is actually built into the frame so zero way to remove it, and there was a lip around the door so it took us seriously muscle and luck to get it out. Trust me I watched a million videos and couldn't find a door that matched mine. Replaced the wheels and locks. Took my brother and I about two hours considering the mounting screws were too small so we had to run back to home Depot. Saved myself s few hundred in repairs though.

Also a few weeks back finally installed all new kitchen hardware.

Feeling like a man

We're buying a Lowe's shed for $2400 Including them building it. Nothing fancy but it'll be good enough

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Well done, sliding doors can be a pain in the butt when they do not want to work or whatever - esp if aged and some things just don't do what they should.

Re windows again.. Yeah 4500$ seems... like a lot, seeing as its like 1k of HD windows in the general size... again they do not have any that fit- so I would have to do custom regardless. But from researching etc. Seems a "eh fair-ish" price as stated above...

The hurricane slats would cost 300$ - and I have a ledge so I can't just put them on flat...so I don't know how they are going to deal with that on the outside.

But even today with "only" 88 degree weather - I can feel the radiant heat from my current windows and their aluminum frames- and today had some decent cloud to cut the sun. Summer cloudless days sees 100-110 degree sun baking these giant 150inch wide by 52 tall window panels for 10+ hours.

I ain't going to see a 4500 ROA in $ - but I hope comfort wise it's better and I don't have 300$ summer power bills.

Apparently my power Co gives a per replaces Sq ft "green" $ so I have to call them and tell them

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
thinking of ways to make use of this miter saw, i figured i'd replace a few rotted/split steps on my deck.

holy shit is cedar heavy

whatever these things are called
hqdefault.jpg

where the stairs are drilled into, are split, so i'm hoping i can epoxy glue em together with some cedar shims, i also decide to flip the deck stairs over to take advantage of the fresh underside, to my surprise 80% of the screws are rusted gone. a few months ago i thought i got rid of em, i just sure they were tight, but when i actually unscrewed em, they turned to dust like thanos had a thing against stairs. guess i'll be replacing all the screws too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Im pretty sure cedar is one of the lightest woods.

Stair Stringers. Maybe pressure treated wood is what's heavy?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I cut down the pine tree behind my driveway a few days ago and attacked the stump today. My neighbors probably think I’m a pyro, but this was pretty effective!

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
thinking of ways to make use of this miter saw, i figured i'd replace a few rotted/split steps on my deck.

holy shit is cedar heavy

whatever these things are called
hqdefault.jpg

where the stairs are drilled into, are split, so i'm hoping i can epoxy glue em together with some cedar shims, i also decide to flip the deck stairs over to take advantage of the fresh underside, to my surprise 80% of the screws are rusted gone. a few months ago i thought i got rid of em, i just sure they were tight, but when i actually unscrewed em, they turned to dust like thanos had a thing against stairs. guess i'll be replacing all the screws too.

The thing the person is holding with their left hand? Stair stringer.

Siliconemelons

I just had a wtf I am dumb...

I don't need or really care/want double hung windows- single normal sliders should be fine...

And apparently double hung are almost (heh) double the price...

So I got to call now and see about changing them and getting a new price

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I just had a wtf I am dumb...

I don't need or really care/want double hung windows- single normal sliders should be fine...

And apparently double hung are almost (heh) double the price...

So I got to call now and see about changing them and getting a new price
double hung is usually so that you can easily slide the top one down when you want/need to clean em

i mean i just have a squeeze on a pole tho
fb1aba74-a21a-4a17-936b-f511c59f4cf5.jpg

also i bought a fucking wheelbarrow, can't believe i'm this far into home life i buy this thing. I mean it's great, i made sure to get a pneumatic tire, steel handles and steel container, and mail man just delivered my wheelbarrow hanger.

• 1Quality Calories

Siliconemelons

Yeah... I don't need double hung... its an easily accessible window and not high...

I hope this can see me reduce cost by 1k.. But I will prolly get the run around and dude like "it's not much less" as he does not want to come back out or redo the contract

So maybe I'll just cancel it

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
thinking of replacing the top of my kitchen island. all the counters are cheap laminate. the current island is 27 x 50, which seems a non-standard size. I was hoping to buy something off Amazon, Boos or other reputable name, but not in that size.

any gotchas I need to know about before doing this? Seems I can get a top from 400-1600 depending on supplier, size, thickness, type of wood, etc.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I bought a 3x6' island piece from lumber liquidators to make a desk, while it's good for desk it is kind of shitty overall so I would recommend inspecting the piece if you're unsure of the vendor.
I've used the lowe's birch countertops in several places and been pleased with them. They're consistent, thick, and affordable -- most any installer should be able to cut them to size and finished the edges and/or double them up if you want.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Baltic...cher-Block-Birch-Kitchen-Countertop/999931664

Siliconemelons

I used the ikea butcherblock (they have 2 laminate style, 2 solid wood style when I got mine) - was cost effective and easy to mod, as its wood... didnt know lowes had similar so that is cool.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I shopped online and found a place near me that had really good prices. I had to get two pieces and put them together to get what I wanted, but it ended up being around $360 (plus my time) for a 48 x 78 inch butcher block countertop for my island.

One thing I can say for absolute sure, don't get finished butcher block. Get the unfinished, and I always recommend maple. Get the finishing wax you can put on it every few months, but the finished butcher block I've seen marks up super easily. If it's unfinished, just sand it down a little, and re-wax, and it's all good as new.