Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Gonna look real good when termites literally fuck your whole life and you're living in your chimney because that's the only thing you have left.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It blows my mind how much some of those prebuilt sheds cost. They can be $15K sometimes just for a place to park your lawnmower and keep rubbermaid totes full of Christmas decorations and a lot of shit you should throw away.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It blows my mind how much some of those prebuilt sheds cost. $15-30K sometimes just for a place to park your lawnmower and keep rubbermaid totes full of Christmas decorations and a lot of shit you should throw away.

Are they really that expensive out there? My friends bought this pre-fab pool house and it was 9k installed (with electric hookups and a ceiling fan):

https://www.kloterfarms.com/uploaded/Buildings/Poolhouse2/Poolhouse-(35)_l.jpg

Here's a pricing list for a local pre-fab shed maker. Most of them seem pretty reasonable, none of them get up to 15k:

https://shedsct.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/BEST-BUILT-PRICE-2019-page1-1.pdf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Gonna look real good when termites literally fuck your whole life and you're living in your chimney because that's the only thing you have left.
Well I mean I'm not living in my shed...

And my house is indeed made of wood. You got me there

We just want a basic shed. We aren't going to be living here permanently so nothing like a 9k shed. We're looking at 2400 and it's built by whoever Lowes contracts out to (they always say its Lowes doing it, but it's not). It's just for my lawn mower and yard shit/toys/etc.

When we land ourselves in a big permanent house, obviously we'll be looking for something far more professional.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I need to get a shed myself. I was pricing them out last summer and NC seems like the shed capital of the US. Road side shed shops all over the highways here and most of them seem reasonably priced in the 2-5k area depending on size and all that. I'll probably have to have them assemble it in my yard though because if they deliver it prebuilt I'll have to tear down a section of my fence to have a big enough opening and that doesn't sound fun.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I need to get a shed myself. I was pricing them out last summer and NC seems like the shed capital of the US. Road side shed shops all over the highways here and most of them seem reasonably priced in the 2-5k area depending on size and all that. I'll probably have to have them assemble it in my yard though because if they deliver it prebuilt I'll have to tear down a section of my fence to have a big enough opening and that doesn't sound fun.
Same for me. It's chain link and we've separated it before, but it never truly held the same shape again after we stretched it back out.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Are they really that expensive out there? My friends bought this pre-fab pool house and it was 9k installed (with electric hookups and a ceiling fan):

https://www.kloterfarms.com/uploaded/Buildings/Poolhouse2/Poolhouse-(35)_l.jpg

Here's a pricing list for a local pre-fab shed maker. Most of them seem pretty reasonable, none of them get up to 15k:

https://shedsct.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/BEST-BUILT-PRICE-2019-page1-1.pdf

I could be wrong. I just remember seeing some on a lot here and being shocked by the prices. Even $5-6K seems like a lot for lawn mower storage to me. I'm sure it's more expensive out here in the sticks than it would be in some urban area where there's 25 dudes in a warehouse somewhere just building one of these things after another.

Some of them can get pretty elaborate too. The lot in town here has a full blown horse barn with two stalls in the bottom and a hay loft and the whole 9 yards.

On a side note, lean-to/open ended sheds are shockingly effective. My house has a little shed and my uncle (who lived here before I did) built a little open shed on the south wall of it and it always amazes me how well protected stuff in there is. There was a roll of toilet paper sitting against the back wall for probably close to 10 years of Montana winters and it was in good condition. Not even water stained. Unfortunately my dog found it and made it into a million pieces all over the yard because it had to be reaching some kind of record for the longest surviving roll of outdoor toilet paper.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If you're not looking for long term, get this:
Ainfox 8' x 6' Steel Storage Shed, Gray - Walmart.com

Super cheap, but will last as long as you want it to. As far as preparing a base for it, do it with these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-7-i...5-in-x-10-375-in-Concrete-Deck-Block/50113084

Get six of them, and put a 2x6 frame on top of it, you can screw it together in place. Then just set the storage shed on top of it. You're looking at about $600 total, and weekend worth of work. A little digging, making sure it's level, screwing together the 2x6s (hell, you could get away with 2x4s really), and then shed assembly.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Finished gate installed;

before

20190505_172429.jpg

after

20190506_092654.jpg

Should have been more thorough when picking out the pickets, 1 of them was pretty curved.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I will never do anything resembling construction work. I am not good at it. I tried to do something involving cutting plastic last week and ended up with bandaids all over.

I will, however, pay someone to do all that for me. Just had a guy in yesterday afternoon to replace my blinds with brand new blackout curtains. Took him 30 minutes. Cost me $100 for labor. Money well spent.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it looks nice but I think while I was at Home Depot buying the rest of the stuff I might have grabbed a latch to replace the rock.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so two weeks with the gas blower (it's been raining a lot, so actually more mowing intervals), it's not even a fair comparison.

the electric blower is rated at 250mph/440cfm the gas is 160mph/520cfm

more cfm not mph is the correct measure of powa
giphy.gif

it's not even a fair comparison i stand in the middle of my driveway and hold em both in each hand like jesus, and my clumps of grass is blown away to my neighbors side with the gas, while the electric doesn't even clear the driveway (wet clumpy grass)

so since i owned this home i replace half my corded lawn stuff. the corded mower just didn't have the hutzpa to deal with 5in of supergrown grass. the corded trimmer was just annoying to drag the cord out, since i didn't use the cord for the mower anymore and i'm totally on team ryobi now, so batteries aren't an issue(there was no power difference really, it's 95% for edging, i don't see a need for a gas one, atm). The corded blower has been replaced w/ the gas one, i'm still keeping it around in the garage tho it is also a bagged mulcher for leafs and it does that pretty good. (the corded mower and trimmer i keep under my deck)

The corded hedge trimmer is just used for this one tall bush tree in front, so i see no purpose to go cordless until i move and i get more bush stuff around the propery, then i'll probably get whatever ryobi hedge trimmer, cuz of the batteries. the corded power washer still does a great job cleaning the concrete floors (w/ floor attachment) and does nice suds w/ car wash, so thats still good. And the corded polesaw did a bang up job taking apart the tree that fell down.

• 1Worf