Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Got new gutters two days ago. Having them piped to underground drainage on monday. Pretty stoked. House really needed it to get that pooling water away.

I had two masonry contractors come to take a look at the cracking on the house. The majority of the cinderblock cracking seems aesthetic. Some definitely needs to be grinder out and remortared. One guy seemed to think only the bigger cracks warranted remortaring and told me to just paint over smaller cracks.

Other guy was much more thorough taking pics of every crack and wants to remortar all of them. Not sure how that’ll look for cinderblocks where crack is in the actual block… I tried to get across that I need these patches to look unnoticeable texture wise (house will be repainted).

What do you guys think? Do small cracks in cinderblock need remortaring or just paint?

Here are some pics of smaller cracks to give you an idea.

View attachment 393998View attachment 393999
Imagine living like a poor in a cinder block house. LOOOL

• 3Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Any chimney experts here? I have a chimney going to my basement that used to be a vent for an old propane floor heater. The heater has been replaced with one that doesn't need a vent, but I'm wondering if I could put a wood stove down there. It's 8" pipe, apparently double walled and at least at the subfloor it's cut away from the pipe. Seems like it might work to me, but I really want an authoritative answer for this because I would hate to spend a bunch of money and effort putting in a stove just to have it burn my house down when I light it.

View attachment 394035

I put a wood stove in our basement, I have almost burned the house down no less than 3 times.

That looks a lot better than the bootleg shit I did. Lol

Goatface

Any chimney experts here? I have a chimney going to my basement that used to be a vent for an old propane floor heater. The heater has been replaced with one that doesn't need a vent, but I'm wondering if I could put a wood stove down there. It's 8" pipe, apparently double walled and at least at the subfloor it's cut away from the pipe. Seems like it might work to me, but I really want an authoritative answer for this because I would hate to spend a bunch of money and effort putting in a stove just to have it burn my house down when I light it.

View attachment 394035
i am certainly no expert, but there should a label or stamp on it somewhere. iirc would be like class a - wood, class a - multi fuel or something like that.

speaking of stoves, while back neighbor passed away, young-ish family bought the house. it has a detached garage/workshop with a pot belly stove. this happened after about a weeks use, they still use it.

1642803137631.png

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

I put a wood stove in our basement, I have almost burned the house down no less than 3 times.

That looks a lot better than the bootleg shit I did. Lol

growing up we had a creosote fire like this.
1642803612057.png

we didn't even know what was going on, a guy driving by saw it and alerted us. it was an outside chimney (flush against side of the house, not part of the house), so there wasn't really any damage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Did that once growing up at my dad's house.

Roared like a rocket engine.

Was awesome. Lol

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Imagine living like a poor in a cinder block house. LOOOL
Cinderblock is the purest form of home building. This house was built to withstand cat 5 hurricanes. Lmfao I bet you have STUCCO on your house. Oof. That’s what poors put up when they want to cover up how poorly build their house is.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yall had me looking around my house found these out the front, definitely new the past few months as I check the caulk about every 3. How fucked is this? Texas clay under the foundation.
Ya that’s quarter of an inch. I’d have a structural engineer take a look…. Could be drainage issues. May need to have your foundation stabilized. Etc. First get a good structural eng.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Cool I have foundation guys coming out Tuesday.
May wanna do a structural engineer too. Foundation guys may try to sell you stabilizers where they go under your foundation like 40 ft and put a giant ass rod every X amount around your house. Structural engineer isn’t gonna try to sell you anything. Just a thought.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Cinderblock is the purest form of home building. This house was built to withstand cat 5 hurricanes. Lmfao I bet you have STUCCO on your house. Oof. That’s what poors put up when they want to cover up how poorly build their house is.
His mailbox is worth more than your house is.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

View attachment 394035

That looks pretty legit to me. Insulated pipe that is kept away from the joists. The pex is a small concern, you might want to run those around the joist brace so they aren't that close to a heat source. Use your soldering torch on one side of it and see how the heat is distributed. And make sure it's that well separated from the joists on all levels. That looks like a good installation to me.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
That looks pretty legit to me. Insulated pipe that is kept away from the joists. The pex is a small concern, you might want to run those around the joist brace so they aren't that close to a heat source. Use your soldering torch on one side of it and see how the heat is distributed. And make sure it's that well separated from the joists on all levels. That looks like a good installation to me.

I wanted to say this, but with all the fires I've set outside the wood stove in the past month, nah I'm good.

I'll give investment advice before "Oh that wood stove looks ok". Lol

Just light that shit, get it as hot as it gets, and go get dinner. If your house is still there after dinner, your gtg.

If not, well, hope your adjuster likes you.

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider

View attachment 394035
Hard to tell from the pic but that looks like double wall B vent. A vent is what you want to use for wood burners.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hard to tell from the pic but that looks like double wall B vent. A vent is what you want to use for wood burners.

That's the sort of thing I was worried about. It has a sticker on it but I found it vague.

PXL_20220122_153712257.jpg

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Disclaimer:I don't know anything about chimneys.

I googled "Metalbestos SS Chimney" and found this.

LINK

On page 3 I found this.
D) CONNECTION: 1. Connect only to low heat (liquid heat or gas fired) appliances with continuous flue gas temperatures below 540°C (1000°F).

Now they may be only referring to the attachment collar and not the pipe. Again, I don't know. I do know I'd be asking this question at a store that sells wood stoves.

• 1Like