Home Improvement

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So in the daylight today there's a few things to touch up but it's overall looking very good.

View attachment 488133

One of the reasons I want to get it very smooth is going with these wafer lights, and with nightlight mode I don't want it to show a lot of flaws.

View attachment 488135

Looks pretty good. Why kind of paint are you using? A good quality paint will make that smoothing so much easier. I've had very good luck with Sherwin Williams. I used to be enamoured with Benjamin Moore, but had a couple bad experiences.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Looks pretty good. Why kind of paint are you using? A good quality paint will make that smoothing so much easier. I've had very good luck with Sherwin Williams. I used to be enamoured with Benjamin Moore, but had a couple bad experiences.
I have a 5 gal of Sherwin Williams premium ceiling paint to go on with my airless after I prime.

That will have to wait until I do all the corners on the wall and skim out the tops so I don't have to touch the ceiling again though :(

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure what kind of answers I'll get to this, but it was something I just thought of this morning.

My in-laws have a trailer in Alabama that had a tree fall on the front porch during a hurricane a few years ago. Father-in-law died last year, and my mother-in-law really wanted a new covered porch finally. It's basically a vacation property and at best she'll spend a few months a year there. The trailer is from the 70's I think, and she had people come out to give her estimates and I guess the walls are starting to rot and they won't even touch it without replacing the entire wall it'd be connected to. Her estimates were in the $20-30k range. Not really worth it for a trailer that's not even worth that much.

This morning I'm sitting there like...what if I just did it myself unpermitted? What are the risks there? I doubt she's concerned with insurance denying a claim since, like I said, the trailer is fucking worthless anyway. And she's not going to sell it, it'll end up being inherited by either my wife or brother-in-law (and I'm pretty sure we'd tear it down; in fact, she'd replace it but she's old enough where she doesn't care and doesn't want to deal with the timelines of that). Doing searches everyone just says "get it permitted" but no one is going to recommend not doing that.

The funny part being that her husband never got anything permitted. They had 2 other properties and he'd just do whatever needed to be done. They had a house on the Kentucky Lake that I stayed at for a while where he just ran electrical wire in a drop ceiling, but the drop ceiling didn't have any actual panels. So just...wires run through an open ceiling. He probably would've just went for it, but I'm a bit more cautious (especially since she'd be the one fined or whatever repercussions there ended up being).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Not sure what kind of answers I'll get to this, but it was something I just thought of this morning.

My in-laws have a trailer in Alabama that had a tree fall on the front porch during a hurricane a few years ago. Father-in-law died last year, and my mother-in-law really wanted a new covered porch finally. It's basically a vacation property and at best she'll spend a few months a year there. The trailer is from the 70's I think, and she had people come out to give her estimates and I guess the walls are starting to rot and they won't even touch it without replacing the entire wall it'd be connected to. Her estimates were in the $20-30k range. Not really worth it for a trailer that's not even worth that much.

This morning I'm sitting there like...what if I just did it myself unpermitted? What are the risks there? I doubt she's concerned with insurance denying a claim since, like I said, the trailer is fucking worthless anyway. And she's not going to sell it, it'll end up being inherited by either my wife or brother-in-law (and I'm pretty sure we'd tear it down; in fact, she'd replace it but she's old enough where she doesn't care and doesn't want to deal with the timelines of that). Doing searches everyone just says "get it permitted" but no one is going to recommend not doing that.

The funny part being that her husband never got anything permitted. They had 2 other properties and he'd just do whatever needed to be done. They had a house on the Kentucky Lake that I stayed at for a while where he just ran electrical wire in a drop ceiling, but the drop ceiling didn't have any actual panels. So just...wires run through an open ceiling. He probably would've just went for it, but I'm a bit more cautious (especially since she'd be the one fined or whatever repercussions there ended up being).
Permits are for pussies

As long as you don't fuck up

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So my thing is I will 100% overengineer it so it can support more weight and be sturdier than whatever regulations require.

And honestly, it may even be a case where I could get it permitted easily, but I'm not sure about whether it's required by code to attach to the house.

The jist of it really is that it's going to be a temporary covered porch for at best probably a decade before the whole thing is torn down. And since I don't live there, I don't want the ass pain of driving a few hours to get it permitted.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And honestly, it may even be a case where I could get it permitted easily, but I'm not sure about whether it's required by code to attach to the house.
Making it free-standing, and/or ground level might avoid some of the issues?

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
So my thing is I will 100% overengineer it so it can support more weight and be sturdier than whatever regulations require.

The jist of it really is that it's going to be a temporary covered porch for at best probably a decade before the whole thing is torn down. And since I don't live there, I don't want the ass pain of driving a few hours to get it permitted.
My $.02 ; Owner permitting was allowed in NC in certain counties for electrical work. I'm in NV now and I honestly don't know what the rules are as I didn't bother with a contractors license here.

Look up the ordinances in the county the property is located in if you really care that much. Should be on the internet now , but if not it's always at the public library (great way to backdoor an inspection department you think is fucking with you btw).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm not entirely against all possible inspections or permits on things within reason (e.g. don't want neighbor to dump sewage into the neighborhood or idiots building above ground pools on a cliff side above other property).

But:

1) almost never is the town inspector capable of actually evaluating the work. When I last had some major electrical work done the guy showed up and said he really only knew plumbing, said it "looks pretty neatly done" and just signed it. He knew less about the NEC than I did since I had actually looked up those sections.

2) many municipalities have insane, insane permitting requirements. I'm supposed to pull a permit to replace a light switch.

So basically I just do not ever permit unless it's obvious, or the contractors want it or recommend it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Homeowners

The Home Builders Licensure Law provides an exemption for homeowners who build or improve their own residence for their own occupancy or use.

Owners of property when acting as their own contractor and providing all material supervision themselves, when building or improving one-family or two-family residences on such property for the occupancy or use of such owners and not offered for sale. This exemption is a nontransferable privilege.
Ala. Code § 34-14A-6(e)(1).
Homeowners claiming the homeowner exemption violate the Home Builders Licensure Law if the residence is offered for sale within one year of substantial completion.

In any action brought under this chapter, proof of the sale or offering for sale of such structure by the owners of property, as provided in this subdivision, within one year after completion of same is presumptive evidence that the construction was undertaken for the purpose of sale.
Ala. Code § 34-14A-6(e)(2).
Please note the following:

• Homeowners claiming the homeowner exemption jeopardize their rights for protection under the provisions of the Home Builders Licensure Law, which include benefits of filing a consumer complaint and receiving payment from the Homeowners’ Recovery Fund. See Homeowner Exemption affidavit.
  • Homeowners who hire or compensate anyone to supervise the building or improvement of their residence are not acting as their own contractor.
  • Subcontractors hired by homeowners claiming the homeowner exemption must be licensed if the cost of the undertaking for the portion the subcontractor is hired to do exceeds $10,000.00. See Types of Home Builder Licenses.

Mobile Homes

No residential home builders license is required to perform improvement work on mobile homes or any structure regulated by the Alabama Manufactured Housing Commission. Ala. Code § 34-14A-6(f).

Link for reference.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I cant really find anything that limits your repairs when going down the rabbit hole that is the Alabama Manufactured Housing Commission, Gravel Gravel . My parents absolutely love buying singlewides and trailer parks, and Ive learned from being dragged into repairing them "a time or two" that they are extremely easy to repair. The only thing I would be concerned about is the "Mold" that you're talking about - but if you're just going to gut it all, Im not even sure that would matter.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Homeowners

The Home Builders Licensure Law provides an exemption for homeowners who build or improve their own residence for their own occupancy or use.

Homeowners claiming the homeowner exemption violate the Home Builders Licensure Law if the residence is offered for sale within one year of substantial completion.

Please note the following:

• Homeowners claiming the homeowner exemption jeopardize their rights for protection under the provisions of the Home Builders Licensure Law, which include benefits of filing a consumer complaint and receiving payment from the Homeowners’ Recovery Fund. See Homeowner Exemption affidavit.
  • Homeowners who hire or compensate anyone to supervise the building or improvement of their residence are not acting as their own contractor.
  • Subcontractors hired by homeowners claiming the homeowner exemption must be licensed if the cost of the undertaking for the portion the subcontractor is hired to do exceeds $10,000.00. See Types of Home Builder Licenses.

Mobile Homes

No residential home builders license is required to perform improvement work on mobile homes or any structure regulated by the Alabama Manufactured Housing Commission. Ala. Code § 34-14A-6(f).

Link for reference.
Well shit, I was going to say this was OBE because I guess my MIL had already been told that apparently they (city officials? It's Orange Beach) go around looking for that stuff to fine. But maybe that's only stuff done by contractors. Guess now I'll maybe have to look up the local codes. Also not sure how a freestanding structure, like a covered porch, would apply as it's technically not an improvement to an existing structure.

Anyway, thanks for that.

• 1Like

Goatface

1693094022964.png

my understanding locally, if it is not permanently connected, it falls under same category as a shed/gazebo, but we rarely ever have much more than some strong winds.
1693094476765.png

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I appreciate contractor perspectives. I do find that there's sometimes a lack of shared perspective though, even between people who do new construction only vs reno. It's like yes, great that you can tape and mud an entire house with bare subfloor, no occupancy or finishes with only 3 guys and 10k in drywall tools and bang it out in a day... lol.
I wear many hats, new build houses isn't exactly something I've done a ton of vs work in other realms. Plenty of experience in commercial in that sense however. I have done a shitload of "renos", where we strip out everything old and shitty down to the frame if needed, and then rebuild. Restored old houses and buildings, where I had to learn seldom used skills such plastering and lathe, and we pretty much couldn't rip anything out, unless we could restore it the way it was. I've worked property management maint guy in shitty areas, with shitty tenants, where it was pointless to spend money, and the walls were mostly held together with cheap mud and cheap mesh tape, and using cheap paint from a recycler. Also been project manager, foreman, safety officer, and a sit on my ass and yawn all day brand new & clean looking White Hat wearing motherfucker too. I've also worked real Haz Mat work, even went to... Europe once to "consult" on air filters, even though I didn't end up doing a damn thing aside from a suggestion or 2 on safety. I've done work in government, finanacial and military sites I can't ever really discuss, not because there was anything at all secret or interesting, but because that's the way it is.

These days I'm mastering the skills of being half crippled, consequences of less than adequate financial planning in my youth, and some old age symptoms creeping up way faster than is typically normal for someone that is 44, before anyone thinks I'm tooting my horn too loudly here.

I wasn't pointing you out, at least didn't intend it, more the general conversation going on regarding, walls, ceilings, drywall, mud ect. My position has always been, if its old and shitty drywall/plaster, rip it out and save time, stress, and usally money in the shorter and longer term. I have no idea what you are actually dealing with without looking at it myself, same as I would tell any client. If you dealing with low tier rentals, just doing some simple "good enough" home repair/reno or spinning out quick renos where no one really gives a shit, none of that applies.

Hit us with those expensive methods and feel free to lecture! I like lecturing much more than the shitty wallpaper I've been putting off removing. I know I should probably just put up new sheetrock, but I'm lazy and some of the walls are still plaster/lath.

I've used some type of solvent in the past for wallpaper and/or paint layers. I can't recall what it was, even the chemical itself, it wasn't something off the shelf at home depot, and it wasn't cheap, to the point I recall us being extra cautious not to spill/waste it. We were using it to strip decades of paint/wallpaper/gunk/ect off old antique level wooden paneling, moulding, ect that needed to be preserved. If you were cautious on the final layers you could leave the original finish on the wood untouched. We would apply it multiple times, but it would just unbond everything, and you could scrape/pull sheets of both paint and paper off. While my experience is rip it the hell out, I can imagine some kind of process, albeit slower and more work, with a cheaper chemical that would give you a similar effect, perhaps even starting at a corner, and using a spray bottle and nice sharp scraper. If it's something that evaporates, it won't do much, or anything to the drywall paper if you don't go crazy.

Use one of these or something similar, to "aerate" your surface first before you apply:
wallaerotor.jpg

This is an idea, not actual advice, but if I had to redo a wall at home, without replacing it, likely the way I'd try it first if it was stubborn paper/paint layers. Check what chemical the brand name wallpaper strippers use, and go buy the Tim Allen concentrated version from a local chem supply lol.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I tried several methods of vinyl wallpaper removal. First off, none of the "magic chemicals" did anything at all. Secondly, I scored the first wall with one of those tools. The theory is that it lets the chemicals or steam into the paper backing so it comes off in one piece like it went on. In practice, this did not work at all and further, it prevented the delaminated vinyl face from coming off in sheets.

All my success was with steam. I tried the cheaper type of steamer and it was ok but the nicer Wagner one worked much better. Once I got the vinyl off, the paper back could probably be done just with hot water and a sponge easier. I ended up having to keep using steam in a few areas.

I'm guessing a lot other methods people have videos showing success are with other types of paper or with newer (or maybe older?) paper. Mine was a complete asshole to remove.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We've done a couple of rooms with steam, and I mean, it sort of worked, but it was a giant pain in the ass and the walls weren't exactly in pristine shape afterwards. Tearing everything out may have been better/easier overall, but then that opens the rabbit hole of "if I'm already taking some walls down, what other shit do I need/want to do that I would be better off doing while everything's opened up?" So then painting goes from what ought to be a small project to "oh dear god what have I gotten myself into".

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I was a kid helping my parents take down wallpaper they handed me a squirt bottle of water and a rusty paint scraper and said get to work.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
We've done a couple of rooms with steam, and I mean, it sort of worked, but it was a giant pain in the ass and the walls weren't exactly in pristine shape afterwards. Tearing everything out may have been better/easier overall, but then that opens the rabbit hole of "if I'm already taking some walls down, what other shit do I need/want to do that I would be better off doing while everything's opened up?" So then painting goes from what ought to be a small project to "oh dear god what have I gotten myself into".
Thankfully I have 3 rooms with wallpaper and I'm already done the big one.

But riddle me this Batman, why the fuck would you popcorn 2x2 linen closet ceilings??? I mean what the fuck....

• 2Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Thankfully I have 3 rooms with wallpaper and I'm already done the big one.

But riddle me this Batman, why the fuck would you popcorn 2x2 linen closet ceilings??? I mean what the fuck....
Because fuck you. That's why.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm guessing a lot other methods people have videos showing success are with other types of paper or with newer (or maybe older?) paper. Mine was a complete asshole to remove.
Yeah. I only had to do it once, but the wallpaper in the house I bought had some type of plaster like adhesive. Wallpaper itself was fabric. Sprayed water on it, waited and it peeled right off in sheets. Cleanup was water and a sponge.