Home Improvement

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOl I just have the wife do all the edging and roll it myself old school. The edging is what sucks thats why I have her do it. Rolling paint on old school is no problem.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Doing the edges with a brush isn't hard or time consuming. The more you do it, the easier it gets. And I don't get people who spend all the time with taping the edges. It's not hard to make a really good edge with a brush and no tape. Edge first, roll second, boom. Bob's your uncle.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Doing the edges with a brush isn't hard or time consuming. The more you do it, the easier it gets. And I don't get people who spend all the time with taping the edges. It's not hard to make a really good edge with a brush and no tape. Edge first, roll second, boom. Bob's your uncle.
I'd bet most people buy shitty brushes. Edging with a $2 Home Depot brush is an exercise in pain. (Ask me how I know...)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'd bet most people buy shitty brushes. Edging with a $2 Home Depot brush is an exercise in pain. (Ask me how I know...)

You're not wrong. Get a good Purdy or Wooster brush with a handle that feels good in your grip. It will improve your life considerably.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
This was me as well. My mom was visiting a few years back when we were painting some rooms and she gifted us a $40 something Purdy brush and insisted it makes a huge difference edging. Of course, it did make a huge difference (and I miraculously still have the brush).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I still like my Graco for interior jobs. Just not really small ones. The air spray surface just looks so much better than a rollers surface does, imo. The bad part, as you found out - is repairing a section is a pain in the ass cause any discrepancies stand out like a sore thumb.

Still though - air sprayer, even if you dont use it at home, earns its keep at any rental property you may have.
Yes I mean I intend to still use it for ceilings because they look better without the orange peel.

There is a nice texture to rollers for wall paint though so I'm still probably going that route. The amount of precise masking to do walls is over my tolerance I think.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You're not wrong. Get a good Purdy or Wooster brush with a handle that feels good in your grip. It will improve your life considerably.
Son, you're talking to someone who uses the King's brushes (Windsor and Newton Series 7s) all the time. Please do not bring up peasant brands with synthetic bristles.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The problem with HVLPs is you need the right compressor that handles the actual volume of air needed to run the gun right. Otherwise I'd probably have one of those too...

I like my HVLP for some finishing on wood/small furniture but yeah, I was shocked at the volume needed to consistently run it. My pancake Dewalt compressor lasted about 30 seconds. Looking to upgrade to something larger, maybe just grab a 30 gallon Fortress from Harbor Freight to have around.

Alternatively my Graco Magnum works very well with the correct tip.

Not really following the whole conversation but thought the comment about the HVLP and compressor was interesting enough since it caught me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I like my HVLP for some finishing on wood/small furniture but yeah, I was shocked at the volume needed to consistently run it. My pancake Dewalt compressor lasted about 30 seconds. Looking to upgrade to something larger, maybe just grab a 30 gallon Fortress from Harbor Freight to have around.

Alternatively my Graco Magnum works very well with the correct tip.

Not really following the whole conversation but thought the comment about the HVLP and compressor was interesting enough since it caught me.
yea i have an inline filter/regulator coming in, i have 1gallon ryobi that i expanded w/ a 11g harbor freight, my area could use touch ups, i'll probably just spray w/ water for a while to get used to it

also do i have to thin house paint?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
yea i have an inline filter/regulator coming in, i have 1gallon ryobi that i expanded w/ a 11g harbor freight, my area could use touch ups, i'll probably just spray w/ water for a while to get used to it

also do i have to thin house paint?
Water doesn't work great because it's not viscous enough. Most house paint sprayers are meant to shoot unthinned paint buuuut the reality is some of the newer paint/”primer" latex paints are exceptionally thick.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys, has anyone ever tried using packing tape to patch holes in drywall with?

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Hey guys, has anyone ever tried using packing tape to patch holes in drywall with?

Putting aside the fact that it will leave an outline that will be visible, I can't imagine paint adhering to packing tape very well, and even if it does, it would have a different finish/sheen to the drywall around it.

• 1Jonesing
  • 1Supertaster
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Putting aside the fact that it will leave an outline that will be visible, I can't imagine paint adhering to packing tape very well, and even if it does, it would have a different finish/sheen to the drywall around it.

I forgot step #2: cottage cheese as spackle

• 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I forgot step #2: cottage cheese as spackle

absolutely-brilliant-simon-cowell.gif

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Need some help gauging the efficiency of my grandma's wall mounted AC unit and whether or not we need to replace it.

It's pretty old, at least early 80's but likely older. Wood grain panel Kenmore Coldspot manufactured for Sears. Model Number on info plate doesn't yield any results online

I can't find the wattage rating on the info plate, but I know it runs at:

8000 BTU/HR
7.5 Amps AHAM
Rated Volts: 115
Operating Volts: Min - 103.5 Max - 126.5
1 Phase - 60 Hz

Apparently, the wattage can be found by multiplying volt to current rating. I'm guessing that means 115(rated volts) x 7.5(amps) = 862.5 watts?

Dividing BTU by the wattage leaves me with 9.28 EER. Apparently an EER of 10 or higher is more desirable?

It does a decent job of cooling, but we're wondering if there's anything better on the market that could cost less energy and reduce the electric bill every month.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Need some help gauging the efficiency of my grandma's wall mounted AC unit and whether or not we need to replace it.

It's pretty old, at least early 80's but likely older. Wood grain panel Kenmore Coldspot manufactured for Sears. Model Number on info plate doesn't yield any results online

I can't find the wattage rating on the info plate, but I know it runs at:

8000 BTU/HR
7.5 Amps AHAM
Rated Volts: 115
Operating Volts: Min - 103.5 Max - 126.5
1 Phase - 60 Hz

Apparently, the wattage can be found by multiplying volt to current rating. I'm guessing that means 115(rated volts) x 7.5(amps) = 862.5 watts?

Dividing BTU by the wattage leaves me with 9.28 EER. Apparently an EER of 10 or higher is more desirable?

It does a decent job of cooling, but we're wondering if there's anything better on the market that could cost less energy and reduce the electric bill every month.

Just skimming some reviews, this one is 15 SEER for $250. That saves just under half the electricity for the same cooling. You can do the math on how long you think it runs and figure out a payback period.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Just skimming some reviews, this one is 15 SEER for $250. That saves just under half the electricity for the same cooling. You can do the math on how long you think it runs and figure out a payback period.

Is my original math to figure out EER/SEER good?

also spoiler for size pics of the unit:
IMG_6724.jpeg

IMG_6725.jpeg

IMG_6726.jpeg

The filter doesn’t seem particularly dirty, just stained
IMG_6727.jpeg

• 1Barf