Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You could probably fill that with black epoxy and call it a feature.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well winix 5500 in tiny room does
pm 1
co 1
voc 1

it also has the benefit of going turbo when it detects bad air
power in watts (i misplaced my killawat so i just grabbed a plug that talks to an app
blue air
2/4/8

medify
4/8/14/24

winix
4/ turbo 80

i guess if you really want the lowest operating cost the blueair runs on like nothing, have a few of them in the room. i don't count the other fan speeds b/c no one would use them, the instant you goto fan speed 2 or 3, it's so fucking loud it's worthless, as someone that has noctua/be quiet fans, we know.

the winix is different since it has that active sensor and will turbo up to clean the immediate air/smells, this is awesome for a smelly dog, cooking, farts, etc

the filters are the same, i'll just keep em both

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
power in watts (i misplaced my killawat so i just grabbed a plug that talks to an app
blue air
2/4/8

medify
4/8/14/24

winix
4/ turbo 80

i guess if you really want the lowest operating cost the blueair runs on like nothing, have a few of them in the room. i don't count the other fan speeds b/c no one would use them, the instant you goto fan speed 2 or 3, it's so fucking loud it's worthless, as someone that has noctua/be quiet fans, we know.

the winix is different since it has that active sensor and will turbo up to clean the immediate air/smells, this is awesome for a smelly dog, cooking, farts, etc

the filters are the same, i'll just keep em both
I have a couple of the winix ones, I was pretty amused the first time I ripped a pretty good fart near one and it kicked on.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I just got in some replacement filters for mine since it has been since we bought the thing that they’ve been changed. Thinking about picking up another for the upstairs nursery and one other room.

Since it is about that time we should resurface the leaf conversation. This yeah I’m thinking about getting a backpack leaf blower so I can LARP a Ghostbuster in the front yard. But really it isn’t the blowing / raking that is the hard part, it is the bagging. Then I thought maybe a combo backpack sucker + mulcher to take care of it. I’ve tried claws for picking them up, rakes to act like pinchers, and a few other things.

I also have a 1.5 HP dust collector in my woodshop and was trying to figure out how to modify that in to a big lead sucker. Roll it out of the shop and blow all my leaves down to it and have it gobble them up. There’s a grate inside the motor / impeller blocking objects other than small wood chips and sawdust though that would snag all the leaves flowing down in to the bag. This still feels like the best direction though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I just got in some replacement filters for mine since it has been since we bought the thing that they’ve been changed. Thinking about picking up another for the upstairs nursery and one other room.

Since it is about that time we should resurface the leaf conversation. This yeah I’m thinking about getting a backpack leaf blower so I can LARP a Ghostbuster in the front yard. But really it isn’t the blowing / raking that is the hard part, it is the bagging. Then I thought maybe a combo backpack sucker + mulcher to take care of it. I’ve tried claws for picking them up, rakes to act like pinchers, and a few other things.

I also have a 1.5 HP dust collector in my woodshop and was trying to figure out how to modify that in to a big lead sucker. Roll it out of the shop and blow all my leaves down to it and have it gobble them up. There’s a grate inside the motor / impeller blocking objects other than small wood chips and sawdust though that would snag all the leaves flowing down in to the bag. This still feels like the best direction though.
just do what i do and mow the leafs down w/ mulching blade. just be sure to spread it out on your property, you don't want to mow down a pile b/c then it'll suffocate the grass

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I may give that another shot this year. Tried it the 1st year and wasn’t very happy with the results. We have 4-5 large oaks that dump leaves directly on to our yard + our house is downhill from the rest of the neighborhood so we get contributions from every other tree west of us. I could probably mulch / blow every day and not stay on top of it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i had used the leaf blower/mulch attachment to trash can (cuz the attachment to leaf blower just gets too cumbersome)
d9a30e8fbe851dedc1911fbc58867a6a.png

and it was useful... but i feel like it'd be better w/ a more leaf mulcher.

heck at one point i had 1 mulcher on the ground sucking in leafs and i used my other leaf blower to blow all the leafs into it, that worked but it was silly.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I collect all the leaves from my property that I want to clear and make a massive pile. They all stay here and compost. I have a huge pile from each year for the past 8 years. By year nine they are sufficiently broken down to use as compost to enhance my garden soil. I combine this with my manure piles which are also organized by year. It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't.

And I use a sweeper behind my tractor to pick up the leaves. Throughout the months of October and November I do it almost daily. Keep up with it, then it never turns into a big job.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I collect all the leaves from my property that I want to clear and make a massive pile. They all stay here and compost. I have a huge pile from each year for the past 8 years. By year nine they are sufficiently broken down to use as compost to enhance my garden soil. I combine this with my manure piles which are also organized by year. It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't.

And I use a sweeper behind my tractor to pick up the leaves. Throughout the months of October and November I do it almost daily. Keep up with it, then it never turns into a big job.
yea i'm doing the opposite now, i'm done w/ my compost pile, gonna go and spread my pile on my dead dying lawn (been trying to rehab the backyard, it's a mess still)

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
yea i'm doing the opposite now, i'm done w/ my compost pile, gonna go and spread my pile on my dead dying lawn (been trying to rehab the backyard, it's a mess still)

Careful what leaves you spread. Too much oak and you'll kill your lawn.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Where I live they have leaf pickup, so we just bust them out to the street, and the city does the rest. Sometimes the schedule is fucked though and they come way too early, no leaves, lol. But they usually schedule in a an extra pickup after leaves fall in those years.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Can anyone recommend a good brush to cut in ceilings and trim?

I've always used Purdy brand. I buy a 2" angled brush. If you got to HD or Lowes they will carry them and the sleeve it comes in will tell what it's for.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Where I live they have leaf pickup, so we just bust them out to the street, and the city does the rest. Sometimes the schedule is fucked though and they come way too early, no leaves, lol. But they usually schedule in a an extra pickup after leaves fall in those years.

Yeah we have year'ish round yard waste pick up, just gotta get them to the curb. I'll figure something out.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've always used Purdy brand. I buy a 2" angled brush. If you got to HD or Lowes they will carry them and the sleeve it comes in will tell what it's for.
It's better to go to a paint shop, the purdy products at big box are second rate. If you're going to care for a brush go to the pro shops, if not just get cheapo one time use store brands IMO.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It's better to go to a paint shop, the purdy products at big box are second rate. If you're going to care for a brush go to the pro shops, if not just get cheapo one time use store brands IMO.
Those are fine for what an average homeowner will use them for, painting a few rooms every few years. I mean, sure, everyone would want a pro grade anything, but its just not worth it unless youre like a pro painter doing this shit day in and day out for a living.Ive had one of those Purdys, my favorite, a 2 in angled for YEARS. I painted many a rooms with them and it still around ready to paint the next.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Those are fine for what an average homeowner will use them for, painting a few rooms every few years. I mean, sure, everyone would want a pro grade anything, but its just not worth it unless youre like a pro painter doing this shit day in and day out for a living.Ive had one of those Purdys, my favorite, a 2 in angled for YEARS. I painted many a rooms with them and it still around ready to paint the next.
Yes but otoh the prices are so outrageous anyway and if there's one brush you want consistent it's to cut in.

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah we have year'ish round yard waste pick up, just gotta get them to the curb. I'll figure something out.
Ae have waste collection that you have to out the leaves in the brown bags and they'll cart them off. Before the emerald ash bore took hold here I would average about 80 lawn bags for leaves each fall.

My neighbor has a lawn vacuum chipper shredder and goes out every day once the leaves start to fall. It takes him about 20 minutes or so. Heb

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
i had used the leaf blower/mulch attachment to trash can (cuz the attachment to leaf blower just gets too cumbersome)
d9a30e8fbe851dedc1911fbc58867a6a.png

and it was useful... but i feel like it'd be better w/ a more leaf mulcher.

heck at one point i had 1 mulcher on the ground sucking in leafs and i used my other leaf blower to blow all the leafs into it, that worked but it was silly.
I have a mulching blower. Quit using. Always jammed with sticks and leaves. Bought a leaf chute. Much faster.