Home Improvement

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So got done with the pantry finally. Getting the kids to work is like heading cats. All that needs to happen is some painting or urethane.
IMG_0200.jpegIMG_0201.jpeg
Shit cost about $400 of mats and the bifold door. Fucking crazy wood prices.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So got done with the pantry finally. Getting the kids to work is like heading cats. All that needs to happen is some painting or urethane.
View attachment 503693View attachment 503694
Shit cost about $400 of mats and the bifold door. Fucking crazy wood prices.
I was about to say - I started to do a small project like that and the wood prices are fucking outrageous enough that I said fuck it. I may revisit the idea later, but I'll seriously contemplate using an actual professional to do it so Im not just wasting money on idiotic mistakes. Are you planning on doing pull out drawer's for the lower shelves? Or are those just going to be a "Use in case of apocalypse" kind of shelves? lol

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh its just to put some canned shit, maybe some boxes of dry goods, bread, potato and rice on bottom. Maybe some larger pots and pans? But like I said it usually ends up being a catch all for BS too, lol. Its lots of storage space in what was a dead part of the stair case going down to basement. I dont have a truck so I had to buy home cheapo 4x2 sheets of 1/2 in ply which was like $13 a piece, then 1/4 thick 4x2 for the walls which was like $9 a piece, then all the trim, its fucking crazy how much that shit all adds up to. Only thing that was cheap was the studs which were like $4 for 9 footers. and the primed bifold door 30" made all out of pressboard BS was like $150? or thereabouts.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
There are also pretty cheap gutter clips you can get so you put holes in nothing and you can reuse them every year.

I used these this year and it's the way to go IMHO. Easy to snap up, quick deployment leads to happy me....

And now my house looks like someone pulled a clown car into the front yard and set off an IED under it.

1702169491591.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I used these this year and it's the way to go IMHO. Easy to snap up, quick deployment leads to happy me....

And now my house looks like someone pulled a clown car into the front yard and set off an IED under it.

View attachment 503699

I had similar ones and even the pole to install and remove them. Unfortunately they don't work with the gutter guards I had installed. RIPeroni.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Just installed one of these. I can't believe I never thought of doing this sooner. Instead of pumping warm air from the dryer outside into nowhere, redirect it inside during the winter months.

Amazon.com

61+D7omCrBL.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
My concern would be all the humidity.
Definitely something I thought about. However, I'm in a semi-desert mountainous area with relatively low humidity most of the time so more moisture in the air certainly won't hurt. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on it but I'm not expecting too much of an issue but we'll see how it goes. Now, if you're in the eastern half of the country or the pacific NW and have much higher relative humidity, I can see how it might turn into a problem.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Definitely something I thought about. However, I'm in a semi-desert mountainous area with relatively low humidity most of the time so more moisture in the air certainly won't hurt. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on it but I'm not expecting too much of an issue but we'll see how it goes. Now, if you're in the eastern half of the country or the pacific NW and have much higher relative humidity, I can see how it might turn into a problem.
When I was a kid I knew a family who routed the dryer air inside. I don't what their set up was but I just remember the room with the output was terrible, condensation on windows, etc. This is foothills of the Sierras, north of Sacramento a little more than an hour.

As long as the output gets distributed a bit or at least goes into a larger room it should be ok.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just installed one of these. I can't believe I never thought of doing this sooner. Instead of pumping warm air from the dryer outside into nowhere, redirect it inside during the winter months.

Amazon.com

61+D7omCrBL.jpg
a few months ago old man neighbor said "hey i don't think my dryer vent isnt working, can you take a look?" so he turned on his dryer and we both look at his vent and no air came out. then i went inside and i wanted to see the backside and we moved it and i was like wth, theres the regular connection to the wall, then theres a "y" fitting and it goes to the floor.

i'm like "i think your vent is routed down your crawl space, for some odd reason", and since no one is gonna crawl down there, we just left it.

then 2weeks ago since he said he was selling, i offered to be nice and said i'd power wash his siding for him since it looked kinda mossy, while hooking up the water, i smelled fabric softener and found his vent, it was buried behind a bush and on the opposite side of the house from where the dryer is.

no idea why

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
a few months ago old man neighbor said "hey i don't think my dryer vent isnt working, can you take a look?" so he turned on his dryer and we both look at his vent and no air came out. then i went inside and i wanted to see the backside and we moved it and i was like wth, theres the regular connection to the wall, then theres a "y" fitting and it goes to the floor.

i'm like "i think your vent is routed down your crawl space, for some odd reason", and since no one is gonna crawl down there, we just left it.

then 2weeks ago since he said he was selling, i offered to be nice and said i'd power wash his siding for him since it looked kinda mossy, while hooking up the water, i smelled fabric softener and found his vent, it was buried behind a bush and on the opposite side of the house from where the dryer is.

no idea why
Clearly it was to provide the best chance of filling up with dryer lint and creating a fire hazard.

Speaking of dryer vents, has anyone used one of these new heat pump dryers that don't use them?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
A friend who lives nearby had never insulated their basement. Unreal. They said they never went in the basement in the winter because it was freezing cold. They got about $600 of insulation and today I insulated their whole basement. They commented immediately that the floors on the main floor were instantly warmer. These are smart people, I can't figure out how some people can be so dumb about houses.