Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's on the bag you know
i know, just show me a pic of the bag, it woulda been easier
260d1ac2aff62618afb8f0bda04180ba.png

Siliconemelons

I guess maybe this is the best place to ask this.. I have a termite protection plan with a pest control company. I went out to my chicken coop this morning which has the subterranean baits around it and noticed what looks like dirt around it. I’m wondering if maybe it’s just from ants or termites. Anyone seen this beforeView attachment 518656

Yes looks like ants, termites would be wood "dust" aka wood poop.

Also if its a "bait" then...its doing its job - however if the mound is active for a long time, then I would say only the "bait" part is working and not the "then kill them" part of the bait lol

edit: I take Foler saying he is in Florida- as ID'ing the type of termites, we do not have the ones that make those tall mound stalagmite formations like other places- ours are mostly like ants. Most of our "termites" are carpenter ants not "termites" and our termites are swarm style.

So generally - our termite bait systems are "smelly and tasty" poison laced wood or synthetic, that is placed in the ground so the termites go and eat it, not your house. As I posted earlier I had some sort of termites in the ceiling above my bed - after 3 or 4 self- done foam treatments and a round of attic fog - I have stopped seeing the little poop-holes open up. So they died, or swarmed out (although all my typical places for entry are sealed so that is also why it was so odd for me to have them)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I need to install a drop rod on my double gate. We get some high winds coming through the area and this week it totally broke my totally not Chinese gate latch. So new latch going on and will supplement with a rod to help keep in place. The previous owner tried this, obviously, but i'd like to rip it out and rebuild.

The main question I have is, when repouring this concrete pad it is going to need to be level. It can't be along the grade of the gate threshold due to gravity pulling the wet concrete down to the lowest point, correct? So I'll need to fill in some additional dirt or just have a few inches of concrete sticking up? Not really a huge deal right now either way. Gate is only opened a couple of times a month for dragging the mower from the front to back. Otherwise it is always closed.

1710020781276.png

1710020800939.png

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I need to install a drop rod on my double gate. We get some high winds coming through the area and this week it totally broke my totally not Chinese gate latch. So new latch going on and will supplement with a rod to help keep in place. The previous owner tried this, obviously, but i'd like to rip it out and rebuild.

The main question I have is, when repouring this concrete pad it is going to need to be level. It can't be along the grade of the gate threshold due to gravity pulling the wet concrete down to the lowest point, correct? So I'll need to fill in some additional dirt or just have a few inches of concrete sticking up? Not really a huge deal right now either way. Gate is only opened a couple of times a month for dragging the mower from the front to back. Otherwise it is always closed.

View attachment 518947

View attachment 518948
You can work concreate at an angle, if you want. You just need to use less water when mixing the concrete:

Or you could frame out the whole thing and make a step (video):
2024-03-09 17.11.57 www.youtube.com 9b905c3dbacc.png

2024-03-09 17.10.23 www.youtube.com ddd95ebbb658.png

Or, if you have really high winds, you can use a removable 4x4 post or steel round pole to reinforce it (this might not work in areas that get hard ground freeze). Kinda like this, but this is overkill (probably):

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You can work concreate at an angle, if you want. You just need to use less water when mixing the concrete:

Or you could frame out the whole thing and make a step (video):
View attachment 518969
View attachment 518970

Or, if you have really high winds, you can use a removable 4x4 post or steel round pole to reinforce it (this might not work in areas that get hard ground freeze). Kinda like this, but this is overkill (probably):
That step is nice. I do have a long term goal of extending my driveway down to this area and possibly in to the backyard for a trailer / storage. Will take a look at those ideas and figure something out.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Tried to take a shower tonight only to have the drain back up. Immediately shut everything off and called a buddy who has a sewer cam and a 75 ft auger. Found a giant fucking tree root in the line, and of course it's smack in the middle of my concrete driveway, auger not powerful enough to clear it.

Sigh. I fucking hate houses.

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

Tried to take a shower tonight only to have the drain back up. Immediately shut everything off and called a buddy who has a sewer cam and a 75 ft auger. Found a giant fucking tree root in the line, and of course it's smack in the middle of my concrete driveway, auger not powerful enough to clear it.

Sigh. I fucking hate houses.
what kind of pipe?

Daidraco

fyi - lowes has a rewards program, if you have their credit card start at silver and get free shipping, plus free $5 (lol) after spending $800. also free gifts, but no idea what that is.
They've hit me with that email multiple times. I thought it said free shipping on orders over that amount, but I guess I just didnt spend that much time reading it. Felt like they were screaming for contractors.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Lanx Lanx my bad if I’m misremembering, but you got a hot water circulator a while back off Amazon right? How you liking it?

My water heater is on the opposite end of the house from my master bath. I have to run the shower a solid minute or so before it starts to get up to temp.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx my bad if I’m misremembering, but you got a hot water circulator a while back off Amazon right? How you liking it?

My water heater is on the opposite end of the house from my master bath. I have to run the shower a solid minute or so before it starts to get up to temp.
yea it's working great for the intended purpose, just like you my mbath is far and the one i got, you only need an outlet and hook it up to where you want the hotwater (in this case mbath)it's nice. mine only needs to connect to the furthest faucet to work, i didn't need (or want to) make new connected at the water heater.

looks like they have an updated version out that has a led and you can adjust temp to how you like it
PROZRTED Digital Smart Instant Hot Water Recirculating Pump Kit with Built-in Thermostat Timer Digital Screen Under Sink Recirculation Pump System Extremely Quiet HBS24-12T (mine is just 2 settings, hot or hotter and i can't tell which one is which lulz)

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
fyi - lowes has a rewards program, if you have their credit card start at silver and get free shipping, plus free $5 (lol) after spending $800. also free gifts, but no idea what that is.

Menards has 11% rebates all year except for Christmas season.

Pretty nice getting $100 checks in the mail for the next project after you finish the first.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Family member is having high humidity issues at their condo on the beach. Not something uncommon in Florida. However I would like to check a few things to see if there’s so long hanging fruit for improvement. I’m thinking I need to check window and sliding glass door seals first. Any suggestions on a tool to do that? Cheap thermal imager from Amazon maybe?

Also any suggestions on other things to check? Sante fe makes an in wall dehumidifier but there’s really no great place to put this - you put it in the central area and it’s right on your wall in the living.. Reviews are mixed at best about it..

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Family member is having high humidity issues at their condo on the beach. Not something uncommon in Florida. However I would like to check a few things to see if there’s so long hanging fruit for improvement. I’m thinking I need to check window and sliding glass door seals first. Any suggestions on a tool to do that? Cheap thermal imager from Amazon maybe?

Also any suggestions on other things to check? Sante fe makes an in wall dehumidifier but there’s really no great place to put this - you put it in the central area and it’s right on your wall in the living.. Reviews are mixed at best about it..

a temperature gun can find a leak, but a flir camera will give you a huge snapshot, rather than just find the leak, or pointing the gun and going around the window/seals, the flir will just tell you where the difference/leak is

i've used both, the flir is the biggest investment, i have an old iphone x(?) connected to it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to

How much that in wall unit go for? Could use one in the garage

Daidraco

How much that in wall unit go for? Could use one in the garage
That particular one linked is like 1700? I'm not exactly sure why that one is so expensive, tbh. You can get a cheaper in-wall unit that's designed for single 8x1200 sq/ft for something like 800-1000. Install is retarded easy, too - so you can do it DIY if you have the tools.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I run a small dehumidifier in the garage and dump it every few days. Use it to water plants out front when I do. Similar in the back of the house in our closet. You don't have to spend a fortune, but you do have to dump the water occasionally.

I have one in the shop building finished section that has a drain line that I run with hardware store tubing to a drain. I think the small ones I use that don't have a drain line are like $75, and the one with the drain line option was closer to $150.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
a temperature gun can find a leak, but a flir camera will give you a huge snapshot, rather than just find the leak, or pointing the gun and going around the window/seals, the flir will just tell you where the difference/leak is

i've used both, the flir is the biggest investment, i have an old iphone x(?) connected to it
What model flir is it?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
That particular one linked is like 1700? I'm not exactly sure why that one is so expensive, tbh. You can get a cheaper in-wall unit that's designed for single 8x1200 sq/ft for something like 800-1000. Install is retarded easy, too - so you can do it DIY if you have the tools.
Sante fe is like Benz of whole home dehumidifier, aprilair being the bmw. I think that’s why.